My wife and I just returned after a 9 day stay on half board for my 60th Birthday, Nov 3rd to 12th.
We paid extra for this hotel as it was a special birthday treat costing £3000 via Thompson.
Have stayed in Riu Palace hotels in Portugal and several times in Madera and they are superb.
This one however, is not in the same league as them.
The reception staff were fine and offered a choice of villa/apartment in the grounds or a room on the 4th floor in the hotel, so we chose 5095, which is one of 4 apartments in one of the 16 blocks down towards the promenade.
We arrived at 9PM so went straight into the dining room.. I helped my self to fish, but it was full of bones and tasted like it had been fried in engine oil.
We then went to our room still hungry. The room was a bit bland, no welcome pack of fruit etc (as there is in Portugal and Madera) and there were signs of patched in emulsion on the walls covering the suitcase marks etc. Old carpet that looked like it had been there since 1980s
A small room by Madera and Portugal standards.
One good thing about the room was that the cleaner had left it spotlessly clean.
Breakfast was OK, but the guy cooking the eggs was so sullen and miserable and would not even say good morning ! Seemed like he wanted to be somewhere else and not cooking eggs first thing each morning. Same goes for most of the waiters. They seemed to treat their job as if they were factory workers.
The manager of this resort is to blame.He should send them all on lessons in "HOSPITALITY"
The buffet dinner each evening has two sittings, so we chose 6PM instead of 8PM.
It is best described as a rush and free for all. Again, nothing like Portugal or Madera Rius.
I heard people complaining that the chicken was raw and I saw blood on the bone from which the ham was being sliced and served on one night.
If you have not finished by 7 20pm, the light is dimmmed down to get you moving out .
It is far too rushed and the quality of food was not as expected for this hotel.
We were encouraged to try Krystal resaurant so we did on Friday.
Same thing unfortunately. Drab menu, drab food, pea soup poured onto a dollop of goats cheese in front of you at your table.
After dessert is served, the waiters just ignored us so we were left to let ourselves out so they could re lay the tables for round two, second sitting !
AN HOUR AND A HALF IS NOT LONG ENOUGH TO CATCH A WAITER, ORDER WINE, AND SELF SERVE FOUR COURSES FROM THE BUFFET WITHOUT GETTING INDIGESTION !
The pool water was clean and well balanced, but the walls and bottom had peeling paint, so green/brown algai was breeding in the holes of the paint under water.
Other hotels have a pool attendant whose job is to supervise the pool area and arrange the sun bed mattresses etc.
No so with this one. Its a free for all . You have to run over and grab your own mattress, by which time the sunbed you had your eye on has been taken.
The Germans (99% are Germans in this hotel) get up between 5 and 6am and place their matress, bags books and towels on 4 beds per couple (so as to have space around them) and would eventually stroll down late morning or early afternoon to occupy them.
THIS IS KNOWN BY THE MANAGEMENT AND THEY CHOOSE TO IGNORE.
All in all we found the hotel to be clean but dated and the staff needing lessons in how to be hospitable.
Certainly was not worth the money we paid
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Meloneras Hotel Maspalomas
- Riu Palace Meloneras Hotel
- Hotel Riu Palace Meloneras
- Riu Palace Meloneras
- Hotel Riu Palace Meloneras Resort Maspalomas, Gran Canaria
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Maspalomas. Next to the sea and near El Faro. 3-storey main building and 1-storey villas, surrounded by a 40,000 m2 garden with access to the beachfront promenade. Colonial-style architecture. 800 m from Maspalomas sand dune beach. 6 km from the centre of Playa del Ingles. 200 m from various shops. 37 km from the airport. 50 m from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Orbitz and Expedia so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Meloneras Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.