“Uno de los mejores restaurantes asi��ticos de Gran Canaria” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Samsara

Samsara
Avda del Oasis, 30 | Centro Comercial La Charca, 35100 Maspalomas, Gran Canaria, Spain
+34 928 14 27 36
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 176 Restaurants in Maspalomas
Cuisines: Dessert, Contemporary, International, Asian fusion
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Samsara, a different way to enjoy in Maspalomas. International cuisine with oriental flavors. Intimate and original surrounded by nature in the south of Gran Canaria.
Barcelona, Spain
“Uno de los mejores restaurantes asi��ticos de Gran Canaria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

For all fans of Asian cuisine this restaurant is definitely a MUST in Gran Canaria. The interieur is not only design but a real museum! The staff is friendly, competent and very attentive. The food is delicious and the desert platters are real pieces of art. Very enjoyable as well is the loung area where you can relax, take break between the courses or have your digestive after you dinner! I'll absolutely come back! As many people think like I do, you'll have to reserve your table about 2-3 days in advance.

Samsara-Maspalomas, Propietario at Samsara, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hi GerhardJung1983

Thanks a lot for your compliment and we hope to see you on your next visit to maspalomas :)

Macclesfield
“One of the best meals in the world!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have a list of top 5 restaurants in the world and I would to there for a weekend just to eat there. Samsara is number 1! I cant wait to go back!

You need to make a reservation to avoid disappointment. We were lucky and squeezed in for 1 hour and enjoyed the best seafood ever ever ! People are amazing, the decor is fantastic, the vibe is out of the world. The portions are big, juicy and absolutely a taste bud dream come true!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hi Piotr K

Really thanks a lot for your words, they're really a compliment. I hope to offer you again our work in your next visit to Maspalomas. We'll try to offer you a great momento again :)
Amersham, United Kingdom
“All style but not much substance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

As most previous reviews have stated this is a very special place in terms of its decor and atmosphere. Unfortunately the quality of the food simply
doesn't live up to expectations.

Service is very slick and the Maitre D' is professional and enchanting. However it's a bit of a mirage as the kitchen simply isn't very good.

Previous reviews here have warned that each dish is made for 2 to share so I can't say we were unprepared, but this is really a very strange policy considering most couples have differing tastes. Call me a cynic but the only logic I can think of behind their decision to do this is to save time, effort and money. However we accepted this and searched to find mutually appealing dishes.

We decided to start with the interesting sounding duck with cranberry sauce. This was a truly excellent and perfectly prepare duck, but served with a standard plum or hoi sin sauce from a bottle!! - definitely no trace of cranberry.

Then to follow was a Pendang curry that not only lacked authenticity but also flavour - dreadfully lacking in spice and intensity, and what was worse it was thickenened with cornflour (apologies to non-foodies but trust me this isn't good). We not only cook a lot of oriental and eastern food ourselves but have eaten all over the world, and this was a very boring and frankly pretty incompetent dish. However it must be said to their credit that they do use authentic fresh Thai basil and kafir lime leaves.

Assuming you can both agree on dishes you are happy to share then this is a great night out if you want something different and a bit "exotic", but if you understand real, properly and lovingly prepared food then go downstairs to "Time" (see reviews) where enthusiasm and passion for food matters more than trendy ornaments and "exotic" decoration.

Samsara deserves recommendation for those to whom the contents of the plate are less important than the overall experience, however it really is all style with not enough substance.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hi FussyBvggerBrit

It's really nice to receive a criticism with arguments and not only with insults as sometimes some users do.

Thanks a lot for your comments about our service and decor, and we present you our apologies because I can feel honesty in your words about your critisim about our cuisine. Anyway I understand you describe an oriental restaurant without the spicy level and way to cook oriental cuisine. We accept your words, but we are a oriental inspired restaurant, we don't do real oriental cuisine. We try to "translate" oriental flavors to european cuisine. As you told we use real oriental ingredients (as something as difficult to find in Spain as fresh Kefir lime is) If we take the care of use real ingredients and not a fakes, then is possible than we take care about our products. If we take care to cook a great confit, then finish it with a sauce from a bottle? I understand you don't enjoy the way we do them, but believe me, we not only take care on the decor, the service and the products, we take care on our sauces too.

About the size it's really simple, we try to create dialogue on the table, a different atmosphere on the table and for us, this is the way. We understand it's not easy to some customer, and we accept it (as a vegetarian restaurant is not a good option for people than only want meat) We can do individual dishes if the customer order them... But the size is the same :)

In a few words. Thanks a lot for visit us and for try, and realy thanks a lot for offer us your time, and specially, thanks a lot for offer us a clever comment :)
loppem
“Medditeranian kitchen with Orient touches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great place to sit, very special! If you order, they suggest to take one plate (starters and main course as well) for two persons, and that's really enough! Nice to relax on the terrace after dinner. If you want a "special night out", this is the place to be!

Visited August 2013
Samsara-Maspalomas, Propietario at Samsara, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Hi hildeverduyn

Thanks a lot for your words. I hope to see you next time you'll visit Maspalomas
Ireland
“Great food and exeperince BUT..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

I agree here on all the great recommendations I read on tripadvisor. The food didnt disappoint.
I will echo what other people have said and say you should book here, I thought I would be ok on a Wednesday night just to turn up but they had no tables in the restaurant so they offered us a seat in the zen garden.. Which I actually really liked, if I returned I would request to sit out here again.
All the waiters we dealt with were very friendly and efficient. We ordered a starter and main to share.. While we were waiting we were brought out little tasters.. I love this in a place. Out starter of duck salad was mainly salad, very little duck even for one person let alone to share. We had a fish main course which was lovely.
We had really enjoyed our evening until our bill arrived, I was actually disgusted to see we had been charged for the small tasters that had been brought to us and left on the table. I think this is totally out of order and put a whole dampner on my experience. I would like to say I would go
again but I doubt I would because of that.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Samsara-Maspalomas, Propietario at Samsara, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Hi Pudding27

...But great food and experience.

Mr Pudding you don't pay the small tasters or the bread. That's free.
What you pay with 2€ is the "table service". What it means? It means we offer you 8 waiters for maximum 80 customers every day. Obviously it depends of what kind of service you expect, as you can see there's a lot of restaurants in the area whose don't charge what was (in your words) "totally out of order money and put a whole dampner on my experience"
Nothing is for all the people. We know what kind of service we want to offer, and I think is not too much for what offered you (again in your words) "great food and experience". But this is only my opinion.