We were looking for a cheap week away in the school holidays and having got cheap flights to Girona, Tossa De Mar looked like the best resort choice for us. Reviewing hotels, a number of first choice options were full so we booked with Aparthotel Esmerelda following reading the reviews here.
Upon arrival, we had to wait about 5 minutes for the receptionist to acknowledge we were there. However, they then checked us in relatively quickly and we had immediate access to our room.
We had a one bedroom apartment which was clean and basically furnished. We were staying self catering and we used the Caprabo supermarket which is a short walk from the hotel and reasonably priced.
The pool at the hotel was small and at the start of the week there were a large number of older children who spent their time bombing in to the pool. This unfortunately meant my children were unable to use the pool. The bombing activity appeared to be led by a hotel representative!
There is a small games room on site with games for about a euro each. We reported some balls missing from the pool table but the receptionist wasn't very forthcoming in sorting this out.
We didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment on the food. We went in the bar on just one occasion, which was to watch the Reptile Show. My son enjoyed this very much.
Tossa as a resort is beautiful. The hotel is about a slow 10 minute walk to the beach and similar to the bus station.
The hotel worked well for us as a base, as we spent most of our time out and about. If you are looking to spend more time at your hotel, you may wish to book something with a larger pool.
We used From2Travel for our resort transfer. This came from a google search and was 80€ for return transfer for the 4 of us from Girona. Unfortunately, we were the last to be dropped off so our trip took nearly 2 1/2 hours to get to the hotel. On our return journey, we were the last to be picked up which meant just as short 30 min journey to the airport. I'd recommend booking a cab/individual transfer to ensure a quicker journey to your hotel.
Activities to recommend in Tossa are:
• taking one of the glass bottom boats and seeing the caves. We spent a lovely afternoon on a beach we reaches by boat.
• Catch the bus to Barcelona. This cost us 23€ each for a return and took 80 minutes. Book your tickets in advance from the bus station as they get very busy. It drops you off just a 5 minute walk from Las Ramblas and by a Metro stop.
• Marineland. Less a marine animal park and more a waterpark (not many animals!) but a couple of great areas for the kids.
• Medieval Castle show - very touristy and expensive but if your kids are in to knights as much as my son is, this is a must do!!! Both kids loved it. However, it is a very late night so be warned. Our coach picked us up at 6:30pm and didn't get to the venue until 8:40pm. The show starts at 9pm and we didn't get home until after 1am
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, HostelBookers, Venere and Otel so you can book your MedPlaya Hotel Esmeraldas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aparthotel Esmeraldas Hotel Tossa De Mar
- Aparthotel Esmeraldas Tossa De Mar
- MedPlaya Hotel Esmeraldas Tossa De Mar, Costa Brava, Spain