“Standards slipping” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Tossa de Mar
Gateford, Notts
“Standards slipping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Just got back from our second 2 week visit to the Bahia. Last year we gave it top marks on everything, however this year its unfortunately a different story.
Firstly our flight with Thomson was excellent again as was the transfer to the hotel. Despite there being a very large queue at reception to check in, the staff as usual were extremely efficient and it took very little time to get our room keys. The rooms we were allocated were on the first floor at the front of the hotel and were exactly as expected apart from the aircon in one of the rooms wasn't working but was fixed within minutes after a telephone call to reception. All good so far.
Didn't go to the welcome meeting as the main reason for it is to sell you expensive trips mainly to Barcelona which for a family of 5 cost up to around £250 and if you wish to go there you can arrange your own trip via the nearby bus station which costs less.
Also the daytime entertainment this year is certainly a lot more extensive with more going on, but if you don't want to participate you are not pestered to take part. Our 2 elder children did take part in a few of the activities and went on an organised cycle ride. I must say Alex from the animation team was a real star and our kids thought the world of him and he went out of his way to make their holiday special. Also this year before the mini disco there were activities for the younger ones including face painting and balloon swords, hats etc.
However the night entertainment for adults was very poor. Ok for people that are into circus acts ie. jugglers, acrobats etc but the only acts worthy of note in 2 weeks were The Temptations tribute and the fantastic Michael Jackson show.
Drinks in the bar are quite pricey and we cannot understand why you can get 350ml bottles of coke etc in the dining room yet in the bars the bottles are only 200ml. The good thing is that there is a fridge in your room and you can stock it up cheaply at the nearby supermarket. Also there is a water machine on each floor where you can top up your water whenever you want and it also dispenses ice.
There is a games room for the kids but beware, our youngest son was attacked by some French kids on our second day and received bruises to his back as a result. We reported this to the hotel management who took prompt action and summoned their parents to tell them of their kids bullying. Luckily it didn't happen again but it was pretty obvious the French kids don't like the British ones and the French adults appear to hate the British too. Maybe a lesson in history is in order. Their manners in the dining room are no better either and quite a few of them had obviously not heard of a bath or antiperspirant. Not nice when you are eating.
The pool area is still a danger with people slipping on a regular basis, our youngest being one of them which resulted in a few bruises. However the rule of not being able to reserve sunbeds then disappear was again working well with the guys removing towels first thing in the morning meaning it was pretty easy to get beds at most times of the day.
By now you are probably wondering why only an average rating. Well this year the quality and choice of food on an evening was atrocious. All I can say is the people on here who say its good must love chicken and fish as that's what was mostly on offer every night. The meat is also very undercooked even in the kids section. When this meat is poultry or pork that makes it dangerous and several guests I spoke to said they had encountered stomach upsets. Examples of what was on offer was pigs head, beef and liver pie, soup that smelled like a wet dog, overcooked pasta with sauce that tasted like it had come from a tin a la Heinz. The meat is of a very poor quality being tough and full of fat and gristle. A good vet could have bought the meat back to life it was that rare. If you took a walk into town the takeaway pizza places were doing good business from the Bahia as we could see from the people we recognised in the queues. Bar Luis by the way does an excellent pizza and thank goodness there were decent places you could eat at. After speaking to a lot of British guests we were not on our own in our views on the food. I did complain to the Thomson rep who assured me that she would take it up with the hotel but I got no feedback so I don't know if this happened. Breakfast was excellent as ever and Omer certainly knows how to make a mean omelette. However another example of the anti British feel was one day I was in the queue to get my son some pancakes. When it was my turn I asked for 2 to be told by the server that I could only have one. Can you imagine how I felt when the Spanish guy behind me asked for 2 and got them. Yet another example of how the Spanish and French get treated more favourably than the Brits.
Yet another example of how standards are dropping is that one night we noticed our bed sheets had been changed to ones with holes in them. I took a photo and have posted it for proof. Not good for a hotel rated as 4* and certainly a first for us. Thomson please note as this is apparently a Platinum hotel and I'm sure your guests expect better.
Even though our room was facing the main road we had no problems with noise and with having a young child it was appreciated that the hotel had allocated us first floor rooms.
Another member of staff who I would like to praise is the security guard. I don't know his name but he went out of his way to ensure that our son who was bullied was ok and always greeted him whenever he saw him. Thank you.
The bar waiters as last year were extremely friendly and most of them recognised us from our previous visit. In particular Ray, who went out of his way to say hello on our first night.
Tossa is a very lovely place and I think enough has been said by others on this. I just wish some of the shop owners wouldn't make you feel so uncomfortable and follow you everywhere.
I would like to say that we will visit this hotel again but unless the downward trend is reversed I'm not so sure. Its a sad situation as we love the place but why pay platinum prices for 2/3* standards.
I know the hotel management read these reports and I would ask them to look at the points in a constructive manner. All we want is the Bahia back to its best.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Polish first
Staffordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

OK, so this is not a bad hotel, no, not at all but I am not sure it is entirely worthy of the amount of high ratings it has gained recently either. I will try and be balanced about this review...

First the good: Tossa is a nice resort, pretty, especially the old town. Yes the hotel is a touch out from the beach but only a 10 minute walk so no problems there. The rooms are very clean, the beds comfy, a fridge and tea/ coffee facilities are provided and the bathroom is large, clean and bright. The pool area is lovely and a nice place to sit and enjoy the sun and a dip. The entertainment team work hard all day and evening, ok it wasn't our thing but nothing to complain about.

The not so good: Some of the rooms have two double beds. We only needed one and a cot so the other bed took up a lot of room, The high chairs in the restaurant have no harnesses so if you have a little one in the ' climbing' stage as we did this can make eating meals a dangerous and unrelaxing experience. You may need to adapt something yourself to fasten them in, not ideal by any means for a hotel catering for so many families, The food: I have to disagree with some of the reviewers, although the food is not bad it is not as good as many Spanish 4 star hotels we have stayed in. The hotel was full when we were there and the staff cannot keep up with replacing empty trays of food. The show cooking area has a few members of staff trying to manage more than one station of food each which results in long queues at busy times. The choice of fresh cut fruit was poor and the ice cream was poor and limited, some nights there were only tubs of mojito or lemon flavour left. If you are veggie beware the buffet is more limited than many I have experienced. There was fresh pasta on the show cooking every night but on all but one occasion there was meat in the sauce. There was even meat in the vegetable stew ! Be prepared to live on salad, plain pasta and chips/potatoes and a few tinned veggies....

The staff were mixed, some were very friendly and helpful others not so but I guess this is similar everywhere. Also the sunbeds at peak times such as July do all go by 10/10.30 but there are a lot and I dont suppose the hotel can provide one for every single guest....

Overall not a bad hotel and we had a great time but not one of the better 4 stars we have stayed in. We usually go to the Canaries or Balearics but we enjoyed the change.

Room Tip: ask for a pool view, we got one at no extra charge
Wilmslow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

A very good hotel which has found the solution to the perennial sunbed problem. Short flight, short transfer time, outstanding food and located in an excellent resort: what's not to like?

Well unfortunately, the management has chosen to abandon the advertised dress code for dinner. Many men now appear in tattered shorts / half mast trousers, scruffy footwear and bad taste T shirts. This has had a noticeable knock on effect amongst the ladies, although there were many notable exceptions.

The worry is that this will inevitably have a negative influence on the attentive, immaculate staff. I feel that dropping standards does not reflect well on the Thomson brand, particularly as the Golden Bahia is sold as a Platinum Hotel - One of Thomson's Premier Range.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street have a pretty dismal outlook, request a pool view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

This hotel does what it does, well. It would be a great base for a family with young to teenage children. There are plenty of activities but also quiet spots- around the square pool or on the roof solarium ( get sep key from reception). It can get very busy at food times but it is easy to avoid the rush, and there are quieter seats ( look left as you go in, or go outside). The food is well presented and there is great choice which must suit most tastes. The chef can get a long line, but he works quickly and it is good to have freshly cooked fried eggs rather than rubbery ones! They are just getting themselves around AI, which I think is good value. You need to watch the lunch time timing restrictions at the pool bar but we did not find it a problem. The room was well looked after and clean. I think I disagree with those who are keen on a pool view. The side road view with the mountains was nice. I think there must be some rooms with a view of the more main road but even that is not that busy. The staff were good and worked hard, and I liked the piano playing in the adult bar. We did not go to the entertainment, preferring to explore Tossa. So, all in all, perfect for a week in the sun, even if I usually like smaller and quieter hotels. For a family, I would recommend. It would have been good when my two were younger.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We have just returned from the Golden Bahia, having spent 2 fantastic weeks there from 29/06. First impressions count for everything, & this hotel certainly lives up to it. Reception staff, on arrival, were great!! Very friendly & helpful. Our Family room was a very good size, & exceptionally clean.Beds were very comfortable(although, did ask for extra pillow as only 1).Cleaned daily to vg standard.Good facilities, laundry room with washing machines & dryers in basement.plenty of bars with good labelled spirits & beer.Bar staff, Yenny,yoleny, & co were superb. Always happy & joking & great with the kids. An abundance of icecream to choose from if All inc & bar snacks were great too. As for the main restaurant , this was fantastic. Great choices of mains, at least 3 meat & 2 fish dishes most meal times. Good kiddies food & wine by the gallon.Absolutely no complaints with the food. The pool area was great, nice shallow end for toddlers & always clean.Entertainment team were fab, great with the kids & good evening shows.
I must say a special mention for Simon on Reception.He is an Irish guy that has been at the hotel since it opened. My wife was hospitalised for 3 days whilst there,(diagnosed with gall stones by Spanish consultant, something our NHS here missed for 6 months), and Simon could not do enough to help, as did the Thomson rep SAM,she too was excellent & a credit to the company. To sum up, THIS IS A MUST!!!! You may have stayed at good hotels in the past, BUT this is a GREAT HOTEL. It is well deserving of a 5* rating as far as we are concerned.We could not fault it at all & will be returning next year without hesitation
WELL DONE TO ALL AT THE GOLDEN BAHIA

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Alba di Canazei
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Just returned from this fabulous hotel. The whole experience was fantastic from start to finish. Thompsons looked after us really well and we did not have to worry about a thing. The hotel is very professional, but the staff make you feel like individuals and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms were very clean, the food was excellent and the hotel itself was lovely. Tossa beach is only 10mins away and so beautiful, the crystal waters are full of fish and the magnificent castle overlooking the bay rounds off the fairytale setting. The Spanish are so gracious and everywhere we went we were met with courtesy and a smile. Prices are very low compared to other European countries and we enjoyed every minute of our stay. A special thanks to the staff and the entertainments team who were all committed to making our holiday special. We are planning next year's visit already!

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are more scenic.
Stoke-on-Trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have just returned from two weeks at the golden Bahia, we stayed on half board. We had part of the family for the first week and part of the family for the second week (with 2 little boys 1 and 4)
When we arrived the check in was hastle free, with the staff very friendly and obliging. Our room overlooking the pool was fine with an adequate bathroom we had tea/coffee making facilities in the room which was replenished each day, there was a fridge and a safe (3 euros a day). The layout of the hotel around the pools is excellent with a wonderful idea "2 men patrol the pool area from 7.30am until 10am and any towels left unattended on sun beds are removed, what a terrific idea, so when you came from breakfast you had no problems getting a bed. Towels were free of charge you just left a deposit of 10euros per towel.
We found the food was lovely, good breakfast with all the usual bacon, eggs omlettes, plus all the cereals and fruit. Dinner again was 1st class with plenty of choice even though there was some repetition we could have something different each night. There is even a separate area for childrens food, which my two grandsons found to be really good.
The entertainment for the children and adults in the day was very good, and the shows whilst the usual type of entertainment the were of a good standard.
All the staff were really friendly and helpful and polite and we would not hesitate to go back again.
Tossa is a lovely town slightly up market with small narrow streets and some lovely shops the promenade is lovely to walk along in the evening, unfortunately the beach is fine grit so you need beach shoes to walk on it. The castle at the end of the beach is worth walking around the kids were mad up by it !! We took the small train up to the top which beats walking up a very steep walk, we also took the train around the resort which leaves from outside the hotel and got to know the place better. We can recommend both, and children will love them too.

Room Tip: One with a pool view, we had no noise in the evenings. The air conditioning was also very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Golden Bahia de Tossa? Share your experiences!