“A great hotel !!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Tossa de Mar
London, United Kingdom
“A great hotel !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed for a week 4th - 11th June. Hotel feels very spacious and was always clean.
Rooms are very spacious, and the pool area is great will plenty of beds.
One of the best things about this hotel is the staff, they were all truly great and very helpful (especially Mercedes in the bar and restaurant) one of the nicest workers I have ever met.

If you don't go for the all inclusive option, there a many many nice restaurants within 10mins walk of the hotel and are all very good value.

Please take a walk into the new and old town, towards the beech, you will not be disappointed, the restaurants and bars around there are worth it.

The evening entertainment is a bit hit and miss, but they always have something for the kids and stuff to do around the pool.

The food in the hotel is great, a great buffet mix for all, including a very impressive desert trolley.

Room Tip: Try and ask for a pool view room, otherwise the view onto the road is not great and can get a bit no...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I really don't understand why people have bad things to say about this hotel. We stayed 4/06/13-11/06/13 and it was amazing! Me (24) fiancé (26)and our son (2). The hotel is beautiful and spotless , room was a decent size with a big double and a single bed. Cleaned everyday.
The staff were lovely and friendly and there was evening entertainment every night, i would Definitely recommend watching the LORD of the DANCE... It was fab! Kids dance 8:30-9pm was my sons favourite time and they did songs and obviously dance!
The pool was freeeezing at first but once your in it wasn't too bad, the ends are shallow which was great for my son,they did have a kids pool too.
Dinner time ; dining hall was fab, we never struggled to get a seat, and there was sooo much food to choose from and it always tasted amazing! We are quite food fussy but not one night were we dissapointed! All freshly cooked and special done infront of you too. (Their jacket potatoes aswell were amazing haha)
It was a 5-10 minute walk really to the beach, but was through the town past the shops so it was a lovely little walk and really didnt feel long or an issue in anyway. It was a very quiet town with many little shops and restaurants. Not really any nightlife to be honest but we went for a quiet one anyway.the only thing I can say I was dissapointed with was the beach I didn't expect it to be as bad as what it was... It wasn't in anyway sand... But more stone/pebbles and dust ... Booo but I should of reviewed that a little more before I went. I would love to stay at this hotel again though =]

• Stayed June 2013
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed 16 - 23 May 2013. A nice clean hotel with good facilities but not one to choose for the views. Rooms overlooking the pool would be marginally preferable but not if the supplement is significant. The room was spacious and had plenty of wardrobe and shelf space. One real complaint was that no 'ladies' hangers were provided (or obtainable). (Clothes hangers with notches for hanging garments with loops). The reception did find one 'bent-wire' hanger which they let us have, but this is quite an oversight for a hotel of this standard.
The buffet-style meals were adequate and predictable but would have been a bit boring if we had elected for half board. Children's and evening entertainment was very good and a number of acts were very professional.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We had 12 days at the Golden Bahia de Tossa and it was very good indeed, and excellent value for money. We had half board but had lunch on 2 days because it was convenient and cheap, but there are lots of great places to eat in Tossa so I'm very glad we hadn't gone for full or all inclusive. We travelled with Thomson and their rep there, Sam, is great, you are in very safe hands. Excellent reception staff, unobtrusive maid service (she seemed to know exactly when we were going to breakfast and cleaned while we were downstairs) and good waiting and bar staff. The pool area and kid's area were great, I especially liked that one pool was purely to swim in so it effectively discouraged children ..there was plenty of stuff for them elsewhere but I liked the adults only feel) Sadly the weather was inconsistent so the pools were very cold but there's an indoor one and I was even able to do an aqua class.The quality and variety of food was good, lots of fish, all very fresh. I would have liked more variety of fresh fruits (strawberries, raspberries etc) at breakfast though there was always melon and watermelon, plus apples and oranges. I particularly likes the salads...including beetroot, egg, artichoke, sardines, prawns, smoked salmon, pasta, rice etc etc Once again I was shocked at people's greed as I saw people pile up plates with more smoked salmon or prawns than anyone could eat! Chefs cooked fish or steaks or chicken while you waited. I found breakfast nicest at 7.45/ 8.00 am when the doors opened...at 9 it was very busy and as we went at half term it was noisy and full of children by then. The dining layout was illogical to me... tea and coffee on opposite sides of the room and butter and jam with the fruit, away from the toast and croissants, but my only real niggle was the cheap weak tea bags (I had to use two in a pot and I normally ask for the bag separate in England as I have my tea so weak!)The entertainment was OK, better than most hotels I've stayed in and if you don't fancy it the bar/lounge area is pleasant and there's a piano bar was pleased to find that despite being among a coach load of people from the same Manchester flight, the hotel and the resort were very mixed...lots of French, some Dutch, Italians Germans and Russians.Its about 5 mins walk to the bus station and maybe15 to the seafront but it is flat and you pass nice shops and cafes
Tossa itself is really lovely, not at all brash and full of clubs and high rises like its neighbour Lloret. This hotel is good for families and older couples, but Tossa isn't for teens or clubbers. It has fishing boats pulled up on the beach and the windy streets of the cobbled old town that you just have to love, and if your knees are dicky you can get the little green tourist train up to the top (if you want a loo up there there is only one, in a bar with a sea view). Montserrat monastery is very interesting though rather a long coach journey, and we had a great day out visiting the castle and museum of Salvador Dali. We had been to Barcelona before so didn't go, but my advice there is if you want to go there do a city break..it deserves longer than you have there on a day trip.Altogether, a really, really good break !

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms nicer view but we had a room over the restaurant on the 1st floor and it looked ou...
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

stayed here from 23/30 may with my wife.
we wanted a weeks get away to re charge out batteries and relax.
god did we do that alright !!!!
firstly,must comment on the staff,all dressed immaculate at all times,so nice helpful and polite !!!
shame about the ignorant french that tainted that lol !!!!
food was excellent and catered for all ages and nationality
found to my suprise there was all kinds of people staying, spanish,french,german,russian and even chinese !!!
this may have been due to the beauty of the old town nearby,we visited it a couple of times and would definately recommend it.Beautiful old town with a bay,castle and lots of things to do.
Anyway back to the hotel....spotless,staff always cleaning and the maids cleaned rooms every day without fail.
As it was may the weather was a bit hit and miss but the staff assured me this was a freak month, just our luck !!!
So if you have energetic children if the weather is not the best and you have to come inside there is an indoor heated pool which is not the biggest but was very popular when the rain came.Even in may there was entertainment every night,albeit some was not the best!!!
overall very good hotel,my only negative (which is a personal opinion) is that the other guests were a bit too old for us.
But excellent hotel
staff brilliant
food lovely !!!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here from 18/5/13-25/5/13. Rooms are far better in real life than the pictures we seen before booking on Thomson.They are modern and comfortable overall, with a nice balcony. Our cleaner Valentina was great, she takes real time and care with her work and it shows. We found the rooms too hot, which is quite strange as soon people have complained about this but also others saying they are cold! Suppose everyone has their own opinion with such things. The air conditioning in our room could do with updating as it did not get very cold. The staff are all great overall, especially the bar waiters and reception staff. There is plenty of choice of food in the restaurant and the only time we were disappointed was when the breakfast cereal one morning was stale. Apart from this the food was great. We never felt frog marched to our seats, in fact we found this a nice change from other hotels we have stayed at where you can spend five minutes looking for a seat. The hotel is about ten minutes walk from the beach front, but we found this a nice walk. There are plenty of small shops here and loads of restaurants. We thought it was a shame that more people from our hotel and others did not go out of an evening as the town centre after 9pm was dead. We would recommend the Don Juan bar near the beachfront, drinks are a little expensive but its the only place we found with a good atmosphere and loads of Brits up for a laugh. For anyone thinking of booking the day time tour of Barcelona
with Thomson, then don't it is rubbish. About two thirds of the day is spent travelling and visiting two vantage points over the city which are boring. We never saw the entertainment unfortunately as we were too busy having fun and entertaining ourselves but lets face it entertainment in all hotels is dire now.

Apart from the poor air conditioning and stale cereal I cannot fault this hotel. It always amazes me on Trip Advisor the stick people give some places for the price they paid, what do they want?! We paid £380 each for a week full board (should have been half board but Thomson had an offer on). Even if we would have paid £500-600 each I would still recommend it because to get a top notch hotel where every last little thing is perfect you would have to £800 plus each. Just to note, I am a fussy person and have high standards but if if expect the best of the best then pay for it.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

From the outside this looks an impressive hotel, the reception feels the same. The reception staff were efficient, friendly and happy to listen to any problems and sorted them out. Our room 372 had double bed and single. It was spotlessly clean with a decent size bathroom. There is plenty of wardrobe space. But during our stay the room was very dark and a little chilly. i had to ask for another blanket. which arrived promptly. I'm sure in high season the coolness of the rooms on this side of the hotel are a blessing but I would have welcomed a bit more light. We did have a very nice view of the pool area which is very attractive surrounded with palm trees and lots of greenery There's a television and we were able to get bbc1,itv, bbc world news& sky sport. There are glasses, kettle teacups and the tea and coffee are replenished daily (the tea is awful bring your own) and a fridge. The food was plentiful with a very large selection and of the usual standard. You would never go hungry. Lots of salads, fresh fruits, cheeses, meat dishes and freshly grilled meat & fish not forgetting cakes. So why only 3 stars well for me the dining experience really let's the hotel down. I felt as if I was 'frog marched' to my seat. Given no choice about where I sat. It was cramped with hardly any room to move your chair it had a feel of a canteen and I got the impression the staff wanted you fed, watered and gone as quickly as possible. The entertainment was hit and miss. The Chinese acrobats were amazing, the temptations cover group were good but who ever designed the venue should be shot. There are pillars throughout the room unless your lucky enough to be able to sit at one of the dozen front table the view is severely restricted. Although there were families at the hotel It appeared to cater for the more mature guests while we were there and thats fine My tip for those mature couples who return time and time again to this hotel is to try the Bahia principle in Tenerife although its more isolated the grounds are huge and beautiful, the weather is more reliable the food selection and quality are similar but oh the dining experience and the views from the dining area are first class and way above those at the golden Bahia. It may be a little more expensive initially but it's 'all inclusive' package really means 'all inclusive' so works out much cheaper. Overall though it was reasonably good value but I doubt I'll return.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Bahia de Tossa? Share your experiences!