“Golden Oasis” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 43 hotels in Tossa de Mar
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Golden Oasis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

An excellent hotel in an otherwise uninspiring resort.
Very well laid out hotel with a welcoming feel as soon as you enter through the automatic semi-circular entrance doors.
Spacious lobby and lounge areas.
Huge entertainment lounge looking out onto a vast pool area which is beautifully landscaped.Numerous sunbeds,play areas and food/drink facilities.
Bedrooms are adequately proportioned and well appointed with flat screen TV's which have ITV & BBC one.
Spacious balconies with chairs and table.
Only negative was the lack of air-conditioning which the rooms do have but it is not functioning before the end of May!!

Room Tip: East facing rooms overlooking pool area are best for sun on balcony. Request a twin room and you ge...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

739 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We visited this hotel in April. During our stay we had to sleep with our balcony door open due to the fact that there was no air conditioning in our room. One of the reasons that we chose this hotel was because they advertise air conditioning as being available. I would suggest that if you are booking this hotel in early part of the year that you get confirmation that it will be switched on.
The food in this hotel is great. Good salad choice. Several hot dishes as well as a chef cooking a further 3 choices on top of these while you wait. Plenty of dessert choice. If you purchase half board you can upgrade to full board when you arrive.
On each floor there is a small area where you can get ice and cold drinks. The ice machine was not working on our floor but we were able to get ice from the floor below us.
The pool area is very well maintained but when we were there they only had loungers but no chairs to sit on around the pool. Sometimes it is nice just to sit in a chair and soak up the sun without having to lie on a lounger.
There are tea and coffee making facilities in our room. A small empty fridge. Good wardrobes with plenty of hangers. The room was spotless. The only other gripe I would have was that the one pillow we were given was a very thin pillow and the towels in the bathroom were definitely not of the fluffy variety.
A nice hotel but expensive compared to others available in the resort. If you have a big appetite then you will do well.

Room Tip: Make sure that the air conditioning will be available to you when you visit this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
blyth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Having visited this hotel several times before, we knew what to expect, or so we thought. The hotel still lives up to its high rating and rightly so as very little has changed over the years. Some original staff remain and the new staff seem to fit in very well. The entertaiments team have had a make-over and despite initial thoughts that they didn't seem as enthusiastic as previous members of the team they worked hard and entertained well. The food is the same as ever, excellent, no complaints at all. Rooms haven't altered except they now have flat screen tv's with a few English channels. Now the dissapointing part. As mentioned by others, the air conditioning in the room wasn't switched on and despite asking several times the room remained very warm, I think us soft English folk are not used to the heat. Even the request for a fan was ignored. As this is an advertised feature that to me is a necessity, I will be taking this matter further with my booking agent. Still an awesome hotel, infact we hardly leave the hotel these days as its a safe, secure and friendly environment and apart from the odd visit to the shops we are happy to chill out by the pool. A word of warning - if you plan visiting early May, check the French holiday week as they take over the hotel. I've nothing against French people but this lot were rude, ignorant, noisy and had no control over their kids, letting them run riot in the pool/lifts etc. We even had our restaurant table stolen mid meal whilst we went for the next course. My drinks and room card on the table didn't matter to the ignorant woman and her child ! Visit this hotel, you won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Enjoyed two consecutive holidays here in the summer of 2011 and 2012. First year we had a suite with Jacuzzi on the balcony and next year two connecting rooms both options worked well for us.
Food was very good, the fish dishes and authentic paella's especially good, though desert is not there strong point oh and breakfast all you could ask for and the kids loved the pancakes.
Entertainment round the pool through the day if you want it and evening entertainment as you would expect both good, shame it kinda ends around 11.30.
Tossa de Mar is a lovely town with good designer boutiques.

Room Tip: Overlooking pool best.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We chose the Golden Bahia because a number of the other hotels were closed when we visited in mid April. We also got a good deal through Travel Republic offering full board for the price of half board and at a good price.
When we arrived at Girona Airport we got the local airport bus direct to the Tossa bus station for €9 each. We were the only people on the bus. The bus station in Tossa is beside The Golden Bahia.
When we were checking in we were asked to pay a local visitor's tax of just short of €8. We had asked for a room overlooking the pool, 3rd floor or higher. We were given a room on the 4th floor where two buildings meet. Room 402. The room was very hot and stuffy. We were initially very disappointed with the size of the room, it was smaller than the other rooms available but got used to it after a couple of days. The room was spotless. The bathroom was very clean. There was a good bath plus stand in shower with detachable hose that made it easy to wash your hair. There was a flat screen TV. It had BBC 1 plus ITV plus BBC world news. There was a small fridge in the room. There was a room safe that you had to pay to use. The balcony had a table and two chairs. Tea and coffee making facilities were available with enough for two cups. Bring some tea bags with you. Our toiletries were not replenished during our stay although there was a soap dispenser on the wall for the shower. During the night there was a constant humming noise. I couldn't identify where this was coming from. There is a small are beside room 401 where you can get drinks and ice. This area was could have been the cause of the sound or it might have been coming from the SPA area just on the ground floor below our window. We could get the smell of cigarette smoke coming in to our room 4 floors up from the outside section of the bar below. It was also noisy.
Our biggest disappointment with this hotel was that it had no air conditioning available. It says on their website that there is air conditioning but this is available at the discretion of management. They should clarify this on their website. When I asked for it to be switched on I was laughed at and told by two of the female receptionists that people were asking for extra blankets for their room. An unpleasant moment being made to feel that I was the odd one out. Apparently it is switched on sometime in May. We ended up having to leave our balcony door open all the time including during the night. Not great for a 4 star hotel.
The food in this hotel is excellent. There was plenty of choice and the menu changed every day. You could eat all you wanted and we did. Drinks at lunchtime and in the evening were available at a cost. This included water.
The whole pool area was lovely. Lots of loungers available.The area was kept immaculate by the staff. Lots of play areas for children as well including mini golf, table tennis, snooker, football etc. Because it was April only one bar was open. None of the outdoor bars were open.A second internal bar was opened at 10 p.m.if there was evening entertainment. I found it disappointing that there was only one brand of draft beer available.
There is a big lounge area in the lobby with free WiFi.
Simon who worked at reception was very helpful and with his almost perfect English he gave us lots of help and information.
If visiting Tossa again I would consider stay here but I would avoid the rooms in this section of the hotel. You are paying a premium to stay at this hotel so it is disappointing when all the facilities are not available. You also have to use them to get value for your money. I am aware that the prices increase in mid May so I suppose you are paying the price for what you get.
We found the walk to the centre of Tossa took about 10 minutes. If you chose a hotel nearer the centre then you could nip in and out as needs be. Here your trip had to be planned.
A good stay, the highlight being the excellent food.

Room Tip: Ask for a room nearer the edge of each block facing the pool rather than in the centre area.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I thought that i would write a review about this hotel as i have seen some people on here moaning about the place and I just can't understand why? The hotel & rooms are spotless and cleaned everyday, food is pretty good, free wi-fi, staff are pleasant and helpful and the pool area superb for family and kids. I had a great stay at this hotel with my family and one of the most relaxing holidays ever. I'm not saying it's the best hotel in the world but for the money it's excellent and spotless as mentoned before. I think other people with negative comments are talking absolute rubbish I have travelled the world and stayed in some of the best hotels about, so for a family spainish holiday hotel it is the best I have stayed in for the money we paid and would reccomend to anyone. I think to back this up most people that you speak to whilst on holiday there have been on a number of occasions, that says it all for me!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

What can i say about this hotel, as this was my first time in spain on my own, the main reason i chose this hotel was that it had a naturism area on the roof which suited me. access only by a pass key, my room was on the 3rd floor over looking the swimming pool, and had room service ever day which was great, I was on a half board 2 week stay, the food was very very good, you had a vast chose of breakfast and the same at evening meal, there are 3 bar areas, the staff are very friendly. am going back this summer wife my wife

Room Tip: book a suite there are vast as i am this time
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Golden Bahia de Tossa? Share your experiences!