“This is how it is, the bare bones, as honest as I can make it.” 5 of 5 stars

MedPlaya Hotel San Eloy
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ctra. Llagostera Km 14, 17320 Tossa de Mar, Spain   |
Ranked #17 of 43 Hotels in Tossa de Mar
Durham, United Kingdom
“This is how it is, the bare bones, as honest as I can make it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is our 7th year, July 8th - July 22nd, but there are people that have been 10, 15 & 21 years. We will be back next year around the same time, even though we love this place, I will try to give you an unbiased review after reading some of the negative reviews on here.

In my option, this is not for singles or couples with out children, having said that, I have bumped in to couples with out children that have enjoyed it to some degree, but will not be coming back.

A typical day starts around 8.30am when people as starting to get out of bed, sorting sun loungers out by the pools or on the grassed area, the restaurant opens at 8.00am, selection of teas/coffee orange juice, apple juice, pine apple juice & bottled water milk, , there are a selection of cereals sugar puffs, rice krispies, muesli & a few others, small pastries like croissants & others that I do not recognise as these are european & I am from the UK, not that I did not try & like some of them, various yogurt's & loads of fruit, apples, water melon, pine apple, kiwi to name a few, these are located around the outside of the main restaurant, in the centre you have loads of saucers, tomato, brown, salad cream, mayonnaise, various herbs & oils to name a few, you also have sliced ham & cheese , butter / margarine, fried/boiled egg & Spanish egg/omelet , bacon, sausage, the sausage varies day to day, Spanish catatonia, English pork, european hot dog types, beaked beans, tomatoes, fried bread, & various other european bits & pieces, & chocolate spread which all kids seem to love, you also have a toastie machine and a toaster, flat bread, various bread rolls & buns, some brown & some seeded, a microwave is also provided.

You can get the free bus down ( for all-inclusive only ) or pay 1euro, 8.45am then ever hour after that until 9pm, only exception no bus at 1pm, if the bus is full, it will drop off & came straight back, journey time is about 5 minutes, were it drops you off, it picks you up at the same time, on the hour down, be there on the hour for the ride back, you can also walk down, this takes about 20 minutes, to do this, go to were the bus is, turn left over the little bridge, turn left, follow the gravel road until you come to the main road, then keep to your right and follow the path again, this will take you past some small log cabins and a large swimming pool, keep going straight a head, this will then lead you to the main road & the edge of Tossa De Mar, just keep going along the path in a straight line, this will lead you to were to bus drops you off & then on to the centre of the town.

Yes after this you can not get a coffee or Tea or any other drink until 10.30am unless you make it in your room.

When the bar opens at 10.30am you can get all of this then, there is also a snack, this is seasonal, the main bar provides everything until around about the 7th July, then the snack bar next too reception opens for food and drinks, this is to help reduce the cues at the main bar, the restaurant does not provide hot drinks at lunch time or evening meal, if you want tea/coffee, you will need to get it at the bar & take it up with you.

At 10.30am the animation team springs in to action, a list of activities are located on the fence were the tennis court is, Children, Teenagers & Adults, they range from killer darts/pool, football, basketball, tennis, tennis football, French bolus, ten pin bowling, shuffle board, jenga, face painting to name a few, something for all ages, the animation team splits in to 3 groups, children, teenagers & adults. Win one of these games, your on the stage to get you certificate in the evening.

At around 12.15pm the medi games start, some thing for the little ones * something for the adults/teenagers, win one of these, candy/sweet bag for the kids/teenagers & a bottle of bubbly for the adults.

Restaurant opens at 1pm until either 2.30pm or 3pm, sorry can not remember.

Food, various bread rolls & buns, loads of fruit, always a fish dish, paella fish, paella vegetarian, mackerel, muscles, sardines to name a few, these change from day to day, pork/chicken/veil/beef/lamb in various saucers, a lot that I am not familiar with but will give them a try , these also change from day to day, cold cheese/ham, various cold cut meats, mixed rices hot and cold, cold vegetables, chopped onion, beetroot, tomatoes, cuscus, asparagus, cucumber & a few others that I did not recognise. Various deserts.

Then the activities start again at 3pm.

5pm in the bar various pastries will there for a quick sweet fix.

Restaurant opens again at 7pm until 9.30pm similar menu to the lunch time but will not be the same as you had at lunch.

Mini disco & games on the stage for the children, starts at 8.30pm then after this the winners for children/teenagers & adults are presented.

10pm the main shows start, everything is then closed at 12 midnight including the bar.

As for the hotel it'self, the rooms are basic, if you self catering, you have a kettle, plates of various sizes , cups, saucers, classes, knives, forks, spoons, various other utensils for cooking, a two plate cooking hob, fridge, microwave, sink with hot & cold mixer tap, the suite room comprise of living area come kitchen dinner, small tv on the wall, for me, two English speaking channels, cnn & 1 that shows kids tv, a bath room with bath/shower, sink large mirror, bidet, toilet, plenty of towel racks, all-inclusive will get plenty of towels, these are changed every day for 6 days the maid needs a day off. The bed room has 2 double beds & a lot of mirrored wardrobes. The rooms are cleaned 6 days a week. Room differ slightly.

The staff are very friendly, if you need anything, just ask at reception they are very accommodating.

Yes the guy in the Restaurant can be a bit grumpy, but if you speak to him nicely & in a good manor he will smile. A quick hola when you see him or Gracias when you are leaving, will go a long way.

Yes the out side area is out dated, the kids play area needs updating, as does the pool areas & the pool, there is a life guard, & a security guard at night, he tries to keep the the noise level to a minimum after midnight, but people do like to sit out side in the warm night & talk, the problem is that sound travels, but he dose his best and if people are getting too loud, they will be told, you also have people coming and going on cretin fights of an evening, Gatwick is one.

Internet, what would we do with out it, you can use a couple of pc's at the back of the bar to check up at home, 1 euro for 15min, there is free wifi, but this cuts out alot when too many people are on, best time I find, 1st thing in a morning & lunch time, but you need to be in the bar area for this, as the range is limited, you can also pay for it in the room, but I find this to be very expensive.

Animation team, most are very young, 17/18 they are Intern's, they work very hard, up at 9am finish at 12 midnight 1 & 1/2 days off , the pay is less than 350 euros ( about £275) per month, so don't give them a hard time, if you think your accommodation is bad, you want to see theirs.

A little help to the animation team, when you go out to see them, if you can afford to, take a few packs of baby wipes out with you, just supermarket own brands will do, then please do so, they go through loads to remover their make-up. When your holiday is over, don't throw you toiletries away, any half tins of deodorant, half bottles for shampoo/conditioner, mozzie spray, toothpaste, hair grips, ladies things you know what I mean lol, shaving cream any thing that you have like that, just give it to them on you last night, or pop it in to plastic bags, and leave it next to the door on the stage, they will love it.

The hotel is a 2 to 2.5 star, it has no air-conditioning, this would probable move it to a 3 star , and increase the cost of the holiday? we take our own pedestal fan that strips down & fits in my case, you can hire one but this I feel is expensive, you could probable buy in the town cheaper than hiring.

Around 70 percent of the people that are there, have been more than once, just ask around. There is a good mix of nationalities, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland both north & south, Dutch, Belgium both Flemish & French speaking, French & Spanish, I even know of a few from Norway, the ratio varies from week to week, depending on school holidays, all have one thing in common, they can mostly speak English to a degree better than I can speak any other language.

I think I have been fair & honest in writing this, I apologise if I have missed anything, but like the old saying goes, you can please most people some of the time, but you can never please everyone all of the time.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this, I also hope that it has been very informative.

Kind Regards

David

( or as I have been called San Eloy Dave )

Room Tip: Ask for a suite if possible, a little extra, but worth it.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Finnish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My partner and our 2 year old daughter visited this hotel for 12 nights, sold to us by thomson as a 3 star hotel but after arival we soon found out it is in fact only a two star. When we arrived I was extremely disappointed looking around the resort it is very dated and falling apart!! The hotel is in the middle of nowhere and the only thing suitable for my daughter was the mini disco at 8.30 which she did enjoy and the swimming pool which is extremely extremely dangerous!! The big pool that most the family's use is built up on a large concrete step which I cut my foot on twice! And my daughter fell off backwards trying to get in!!! She banged her head on the floor as she fell. The bottom of the pool is also very bumpy and can easily catch your feet on. The deep end of the pool is 3.5 metres deep! Yet diving is not allowed. There was a smaller paddling pool sized area for the babys which isnt big enough for them to actually swim buy great to splash around in and perfect for babys, next to this is a children's play area which is falling apart and again not safe! The smaller quieter pool where we spent most our time does not have a shallow end but we found it more peaceful here and our daughter enjoyed swimming with her arm bands on as plenty of other children did. At a few points in our holiday there were a group of boys/MEN! Who were very rough in the pool regardless of the fact they could see small children near them. At one point my little one was happily swimming next to me when a group of them threw a man into the water almost landing on her!!! I shouted at them and then complained to the lifeguard as did many other people but nothing was done!! The food is absolutely revolting! ! The hotel are trying to impress english people by serving things such as chips, deep fried courgette and god knows what else just full of grease!! I dont travel to spain to eat english food! The restraunts manager never once smiled and always seemed rude. When speaking to other familys at this resort they all said they would not come back again and how awful the food is and dangerous the pool is. We chose to come here because the reviews on here made it seem good but as others have done we very soon found out for our selves!!! The bedrooms were basic but spacious, my biggest issue is that the toilet stunk!! And our whole room stunk due to this! Main good points is the free bus into tossa every hour, driver was very friendly and reception is extremely helpful and again friendly always happy to help. On day one arriving at the sant eloy we emidiatley contacted thomson to try and move hotels but was at a cost of over £2500 on top of what we already paid! So this was out of the question. I am shocked thomson sell such a place.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
CustomerServiceMgr, Guest Relations Manager at MedPlaya Hotel San Eloy, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Chloe M
We are extremely sorry to read your comments regarding your recent stay with us. The Aparthotel San Eloy is a popular 2 star property within the Med Playa portfolio and in general receives very positive feedback because of its location and the service offered.
We are sorry that it did not meet with your expectations, and that you were unaware of its locations and what was going to be on offer prior to your arrival.
At Med Playa we take Health & Safety very seriously and all of our hotels, pools etc are regularly checked to ensure that they comply with regulations, these procedures are controlled both internally and by external companies.
The Hotel Manager at the San Eloy is very keen to resolve any guest disatisfaction whilst they are in the hotel and we are sorry that it appears that your problems could not be resolved or were not brought to her attention.
We hope that in spite of some disatisfaction with the San Eloy, your overall stay in Tossa de Mar was an enjoyable experience
Kind regards
Sue, Guest Relations Team, Med Playa Hotels
Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Just returned from week long all inclusive break booked last minute. I booked here because of the reviews. We stayed in Tossa de Mar centre 5 years ago when I was pregnant with our 4 year old daughter and we stayed in hotel that did not cater for children. That was then and this is now. The San Eloy was JOY to stay in. She was a bit young to join in all of the activities but played extensively in the children's pool with other children from different countries. Language was no barrier to them. We found the food to be great. Always so much choice and very tasty. I put on half a stone in week. Like the restaurant, the bar was extremely well run and still serving drinks till midnight. The bar and restaurant staff were always smartly dressed. The entertainment staff were very friendly and worked hard to make sure you were having a good time. The Michael Jackson Tribute show was our favourite. Especially thanks to Irene. The lack of air con didn't bother us as we were always tired after such a long full day day. For those who complained about the room being basic, they were perfectly adequate and very clean. We spent very little time in the room. We arrived after 1am in the morning and after checking in, the security guard led us to the room,very politely asking us to be quite so as not to disturb the sleeping guests. I was very impressed by this. The free courtesy bus to Tossa was a real boon. I can't stress enough the fantastic value for money San Eloy offers for familes. We spoke to several people who have been back up to 10 years running with child ren now in their late teens, who still love to go back, so that must tell you something. We will definitely go back. Family from Tyne & Wear

Room Tip: All rooms are facing pool so you cant go wrong
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We had a weeks holiday here mid June and very much enjoyed our stay. We have two boys aged 5 and 3 and had a 2 bed apartment on the ground floor by the mini golf, all inclusive. The apartment was clean and well designed and the beds were comfortable. The hotel grounds are spacious, no race for loungers in a good position and the pools were safe and clean. We enjoyed the food, they did paella three times while we were there and moules almost daily, a real treat. There is a great salad and fruit bar and generally a lot of variety of food, lots of child friendly options too. The bar is run very efficiently and has various arcade type games which the children constantly cluster around. The entertainment was fantastic, organised by a group of enthusiastic Dutch kids, always something going on if you wanted to do it but no pressure if you didn't. The evening shows were great fun, preceeded by a kids disco and presentation of diplomas for who has won what that day. This might sound full on but it was actually very chilled and enjoyable, nothing was ever too loud or raucous and we saw no outrageous behaviour, just nice families having a good holiday. The staff are all great, extremely hardworking and very good at their jobs. We got a fantastic deal on this holiday and it exceeded our expectations. From talking to other people there it seems most had either been before or had also got a great deal. I have nothing bad to say at all about the hotel and I would highly recommend it. The only thing I would rethink is flying into Barcelona and having a 2 and a half hour transfer. In a car, Barcelona is only about 1hr 20 mins away and we heard that it's around 100 euros each way. Transfer by coach is very long and we were quite prompt leaving the airport. Girona is only 40 mins away from Tossa. Tossa itself is absolutely stunning, well worth wandering round. The beach is great, not sand but fine pebbles which we loved, brushes straight off, and the sea was very safe. The people in the shops and restaurants were also extremely nice, no one seemed tourist weary at all. All in all, just what we needed and wanted, a lovely sunny holiday with great food and lovely people in a really pretty place that didn't break the bank. What more could you want?

Room Tip: Ground floor two bed apartment, we liked being by the mini golf as it was the quietest spot
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Serena C
Thank you for taking the time to review your familys stay with us at the popular Aparthotel San Eloy.
We are pleased to hear that the San Eloy met with your expectations and that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
We sincerely hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again!
Kind regards
Sue, Guest Relations Team, Med Playa Hotels
Letterkenny, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Just back from a week All Inclusive at the San Eloy.
Rooms are basic but very clean and have everything you need.
Pools are a great size and again are clean with plenty of sun beds.
The restaurant food is plentiful and of really good quality with good choice.
Didn't have much from the snack bar but can say the sandwiches and chips were fine but the burgers and hotdogs weren't great.
The drinks on the AI package were fine and available up to midnight. Most of the staff were really friendly with 1 or 2 exceptions.
There were activities for adults and kids alike all day long which were very popular. There was entertainment each night which was hit and miss but always energetic and enthusiastic.
There was a good mix of nationalities and everyone seemed to mix quite well.
Tossa da mer is a lovely town only a 20 minute walk or 2 minute bus ride away.
There were a few negatives that wouldn't take much to put right. The mini golf is really out dated, there are no nets in the football goals or the basketball hoops. The downstairs snack bar could do with a lick of paint. These are minor things which wouldn't take much to put right but would make an overall difference.
This is a great place for a family holiday and that's exactly what it delivers.
For those couples who came here and complained, you really only have yourselves to blame. 10 minutes research would tell you this is a family hotel.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Having just returned from the San Eloy i can confirm that most of the previous comments are quite accurate. On arrival the check in reception is really a small little hut and not like most of us are used to, but it was quick and painless. The rooms are a little hit and miss with regards to getting your desired spec although ours was fine, consisting of a small lounge/kitchenette,bathroom, and one large bedroom with two double beds. The rooms are quite dated but clean and just about adequate for a weeks stay. No A/C in the room can be very stifling at night although a fan can be hired for around 20 euros a week.
Food consists of snack bar open most of the day and the main restaurant which we found to be spot on, with plenty to choose from at a good standard for a 2-3 star hotel. The two swimming pools were clean and warm but rather deep for most familys,although there is also a small toddlers pool which my daughter loved splashing around in. The entertainment at night was a good mix of kids and adults entertainment performed by the hard working young reps. (although the sound system is on its last legs)!!!
The general atmosphere was really great with friendly staff and a good mix of european familys (not just the usual brits on the pi** that ruin it for everyone.
The hourly bus takes you into Tossa de Mar and i highly recommend it, the little town is lovely, with a good mix of shops,bars and restaurants all reasonably priced, a visit to the old castle is a must and if you hit the the beach be aware its not soft sand and the breakers can be a bit fierce, but its a really great place.
So to sum up, a really great little hotel that needs a good spruce up, but i guarantee you'll have a good time and my only personal gripes are that you have to go into town to buy your daily paper,and the WIFI is dire, but if youve got kids and are on a budget give it a go....!!

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Me an my partner returned yesterday from a week at the San Eloy. If you are a family on a budget looking for an all inclusive holiday then I'm sure this place is fine, however if you are anything apart from that like a couple looking for a nice hotel, good food and a relaxing break then this is NOT the place for you! The food is basic, over cooked and generally tasteless, the hotel is geared up for children so you will find every form of entertainment is aimed at them, I can only compare it to that of what I imagine a Spanish Butlins for children would be like. On the upside the town of Tossa de Mar is beautiful, very picturesque with a 14th century castle, lots of shops, Spanish bars offering authentic Spanish food (we found a tapas bar that served stunning food) I would thoroughly recommend the town, which is where we spent most of our day escaping the noise of loud music been played on repeat all day and kids dive bombing in the pool. There is a bus that goes from the hotel San Eloy to the town of Tossa (free if your all inclusive or 1 euro each way if not) this service runs up until 9pm so if you want to stay out in the evening past 9pm then you face a 30 minute walk back on an unlit main road then through woodland back to the hotel, for some reason there are no taxis in Tossa de Mar!? So in the evening at the hotel you are faced with 2 choices, stay in your room, or go down to the bar/entertainment area where they put on countless kids shows and themed evenings - again aimed at kids. The rooms whilst spacious (if you are a couple) are very basic with a TV as small as a postage stamp -really not acceptable in this day and age (especially when a guy might want to catch a bit of a World Cup game!) There is no air conditioning, wifi will cost you 20 euros for the week, limits you to 1 person using it at a time(i1 device) and the speed and reliability is the worst I have ever experienced! Overall we didn't enjoy our stay and won't return to the hotel San Eloy, but will probably return to Tossa De Mar an stay in Tossa itself at one of the many hotels that cater for adults and couples.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor where you have your own private balcony.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to MedPlaya Hotel San Eloy? Share your experiences!