“Dunamar, Montegordo” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Duna Mar Aparthotel

and 1 more site!
You added Duna Mar Aparthotel to your Saves list
Duna Mar Aparthotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Infante Dom Henrique, Monte Gordo 8900-413, Portugal   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Monte Gordo
Newcastle Upon Tyne
“Dunamar, Montegordo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Dunamar, Montegordo for 10 days at the start of June.

The hotel is in a great location right on the beach and only a few minutes walk to the town. All the hotel staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful.

We had a 1 bedroom apartment, which was very spacious having: a small kitchen area with a fridge, two ring hob, toaster and microwave (but no kettle so, had to boil a pan to make cuppa); large lounge / dining room; a good size double bedroom with a reasonable amount of wardrobe space; a decent bathroom and a balcony that looked out over the camp site. The apartment was cleaned every day to a good standard and towels were changed daily. All in all the apartment and the hotel in general is nice but starting to look a little tired and will need some refurbishment in the not to distant future.

Montegordo is a reasonable size resort with a fantastic beach (although when we were there the sea was far too cold to swim in). There are plenty of bars and restaurants in the town although most of the bars are similar with plastic tables and chairs outside and very little in the way of entertainment but fine for a quiet relaxing drink. Some of the restaurants are very good with ‘Vicius’ just off the main square being our personal favourite. One thing to mention is that it is excellent value for money with food and drink being very reasonable.

The area around Montegordo is very nice with some lovely walks and places to visit. Vila Real De Santo Antonia is a lovely town and is only about 2 miles from Montegordo; we walked along in about 30-40 minutes. From Vila Real we took the ferry across to Ayamonte in Spain, which is another lovely town. It’s interesting to see how different the two towns are only being the width of the river apart. Castro Marim is a beautiful village to look around and has stunning views of the surrounding area from the castle. It is easily reached by local bus from Vila Real. We also took the local bus to Tavira, which is a lovely old town with lots of little streets to explore. There are lots of churches and a castle in the centre of town from where you get great views over the town.

We had a good holiday in a lovely part of Portugal, however like some other reviewers have mentioned Montegordo does lack a little bit of character and atmosphere but, if you like Portugal it is an area well worth visiting.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms have fabulous views of the beach and coastline but I personally thought the high extr...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I'm going for this HA about 3/4 years every summer! I really like the location:front to the beach. The beach is really nice and big.

The swimming pool is quite big and nice, I really enjoyed it! But sometimes without sunbeds available. Bedrooms were ok, but my favourites are with sea view!

The staff isn't friendly. All the costumers that I've spoken complained about the same. Can sometimes smile and be nice? I think a 4* hotel needs that! Another negative point is to pay the wi-fi: 10€ /day??!! Too much! Even in common areas you have to pay! Unbelievable, for me...
If the hotel improves these points would be perfect!

Otherwise I'm really happy with this hotel and I hope to go back soon!

Stayed September 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have just returned from a week break in Monte Gordo. I stayed in the Dunamar apparments. The apartments are spacious, English channels on the TV, kitchen area is very handy only down side is it doesn't have a kettle but it does have a coffee maker. Apartments are kept very well cleaned by the cleaners, rooms are cleaned everyday at reasonable times. Cleaners are very friendly and smiley and are very good at their jobs. I would recommend a sea view as it is stunning to sit on you're balcony and see the beach and the sea. Beach is literally a minute walk away. The hotel has a little arcade and a bar. It's in a very quiet spot, shops and resteraunts are about 5 minute walk away. They have Wi-Fi but you have to pay €10 for a day or €48 for a week, but it is worth it if it rains. Reception staff could smile abit more but other than that they are helpful. The hotel has it's own little gift shop. Don't expect lots of Brits, as when I stayed there was only 2 British families, but it wasn't any bother, people where very friendly and pleasant. Would recommend this hotel if you want to stay in Monte Gordo.

• Stayed October 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We have just returned from a last minute 7 night HB stay at the Dunamar and wanted a nice, quiet break in a nice hotel and thats just what we got. The hotel is spotless and very well maintained, towels were changed and rooms were fully cleaned daily, our room was on the forest side with a partial sea view but we could see for miles, across to Spain, a fantastic view along the beach so well worth paying a bit extra for the sea view. There was a TV in the room with various English channels for those who choose to stay in and watch tele while they are on holiday and a fully equipped kitchen, but no kettle, you can probably hire them but we just used a small pan to boil water for a morning cuppa! The bar and lounge were lovely and comfy. The pool area is big with lots of loungers and a cracking pool and small baby pool which has a shade over it, great for babies, they have a policy of not reserving sunbeds at silly O clock in the morning so no pressure to get up early. We found that the guests in the week we stayed were mainly older couples, not many families, so there was always lots of space around the pool as they tended to go on trips rather than sit by the pool.

The hotel is right on the beach and in our opinion, one of the nicest beaches in Portugal, there are numerous cafes within walking distance along the beach, great for a spot of lunch and not expensive.

All great up until now! My husband wanted to use the gym but had to pay 10 euros each time, which we thought a bit cheeky as at most hotels of this rating the guests can use the facilities for free. The jacuzzi was out of order as was the sauna and steam room and as it rained a (fair) bit we would have used these. You also have to pay to hire ping pong bats and balls.

The beds are rock hard! And I mean rock hard! The pillows can best be described as planks, if you have room in your case take your own pillow.

The food at breakfast was great, buffet style with a good selection for all nationalities, we dont eat fried stuff but there was egg and bacon along with a good selection of cereals, cheeses, meats, breads. Evening meals were a little bit hit and miss, some nights excellent, others less so and a little bit samey and limited choice and I had to ask several times for extra desserts because by the time we had eaten our meal the desserts had been desimated and that was only 7.30 ish, so top tip, get to dinner early! The staff in the restaurant were great, very friendly and quick.

The majority of reception staff were lovely, we don't tend to "bother" them much but we had no phone signal and asked them to confirm our taxi return to the airport with the taxi company, the man who served us can best be described as miserable, with lots of scowling and huffing and puffing he asked lots of questions as to why we couldn't do it ourselves before assigning himself to the 2 minute job! Not good service.

All in all we had a lovely stay and don't normally moan, honest, but these few niggles need to be sorted to turn this good hotel into a great one.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view or partial sea view, forest view rooms have a great view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Dunamar Aparthotel in September while meeting family from the UK in Monte Gordo on vacation. Overall, the Dunamar is probably the best option for accommodation in Monte Gordo. It is clean, well maintained, at the end of the resort (so not too noisy), and the service is good. The apartments are relatively modern, well equipped, and look like they were refurbished within the last few years. I recommend paying the small fee for an upgrade to a sea view room. We were on the third floor facing the ocean and had an outstanding view.

In terms of highlights, there were a few standout staff members that made our stay more memorable. First off Sr. Jorge, the GM. He is a legend. He arranged for my parents and my wife and I to have rooms near each other on the same floor. He also arranged for a cake and bottle of champagne to be delivered to the room for my parents wedding anniversary. Next, Joao on the Front Desk - such a hard working guy, and he always has time for a smile and to say hello. He is the best front desk employee my some margin. FInally, the maids - they work so hard every day, and the rooms are spotless. They learned our schedule after a couple of days and so the maid service was never an inconvenience like it can be at some hotels. If you stay here please tip your maids - you'd be amazed what a smile and a few euros will do to brighten their day.

Overall, Monte Gordo is not an upscale or fancy resort, but it is very comfortable, with an amazing beach, friendly locals, and great food. Additionally, it is in close proximity to many other places of interest (like Tavira, Seville, Ayamonte, Ville Real, Castro Marim, etc.). Rent a car and explore. There are some amazing places of natural beauty to see around here. The main thing I liked about Monte Gordo was the fact that it is popular with Portuguese tourists. You won't find a bunch of Brit tourists here wearing their Man Utd. shirts singing in the street (thankfully). In fact the resort mostly caters to local tourism, plus a few Dutch and French tourists. We encountered very few Brits and Americans, and those that are there tend to be an older demographic.

Pros and cons of the hotel are as follows...

PROS:
- Location (at the end of the resort)
- On the beach
- Clean, safe and well maintained
- Good service (by European standards)
- Nice views (from sea view room)
- Internet Service (although you have to pay 40 euro per week)
- TV (there are a few English speaking channels if you want to be lazy and relax in the room)

CONS:
- Pool was very cold (not sure what they could do about this, but we swam in the ocean)
- Beds were quite hard (this is mostly preference, my parents liked the hard beds)
- Internet not free (it really should be free in a 4-star hotel)

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in Monte Gordo. In terms of value it was outstanding. I recommend booking through Cosmos Holidays in the UK (we booked through them even though we live in the US). It was much cheaper booking through them than using any of the other sites.

If you need transfers to the hotel from Faro Airport, I highly recommend Sun Transfers. They were cheap, well organized and very professional (drivers wore shirt and tie).

Room Tip: Book a sea view room. It isn't much more expensive and worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We have just returned from Monte Gordo and we stayed at the Dunamar Apartments. The apartment was lovely, and the standard of cleanliness second to none. We had apartments overlooking the beach and sea and would recommend that these are well worth the extra cost, to wake up every morning to that view is fantastic. The apartments are well equipped and all crockery and cutlery was excellent. There is no kettle however so if as us you enjoy a cuppa then I suggest you take a travel kettle. If you are a coffee drinker, no problem as there is a coffee making machine supplied. The small kitchen area was adequate for our needs as we only breakfasted in the apartment. There was plenty of space in the rest of the apartment the lounge area was very spacious. Our only gripe with the facilities in the apartment was that the beds were very hard and took some getting used to.The pool area was great and food from the poolside bar excellent. As for the staff well, our only suggestion would be that all the staff were as friendly as the cleaners who were lovely. The reception staff although efficient lacked any warmth in their welcome and our reception in the bar was very frosty. No wonder it is empty most nights of the week. I think the barman needs to attend charm school. However, that aside, we had a brilliant time and would definitely return. One last thing don't expect a resort full of Brits, the majority of the tourists there are Dutch or Spanish and the Portuguese themselves holiday here. For us that was a plus point but it may not suit some.

Room Tip: Sea view essential in my opinion.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My advice is to ignore any reviews that fail to even mention one of the best beaches in Europe; or the huge suites, the bargain prices, the superb outside pool and games room etc)

I have just returned from 5 days in monte gordo, and am so glad we stayed at the Duna Mar

Most rooms overlook a fantastic pool and have direct views of the sea. I would recommend a 3rd or 4th floor room for best views. I'd recommend a room from 411-419 (odd numbers) for premium views

The outside pool is superb, with a spacious seating and bar area for food and drink, and an immense adjoining games room (with 3 full size pool tables, table tennis, table football and dozens of arcade machines)

There is a note in the hotel asking guests not to reserve beds, which makes it easier if you don't fancy getting up at 5am with a towel

A short walk from the pool is the beach. WOW!

Monte Gordo beach is simply the best beach I have ever seen. Miles and miles of soft sand and beautiful sea.

You can rent a front row bed and umbrella for 5 euros and there are some fantastic restaurants selling ultra fresh fish, if you ignore the tourist snack bars selling hot dogs and burgers.

The food inside the hotel is very decent and the breakfast is excellent. No, its not an English cafe serving you your perfect fry up every morning, but they do make an effort to accommodate the Brits. Every morning you will find a huge plate of eggs (scrambled or fried), which you can stick on top of some hot toast. There is also a huge range of cold meats, fresh fruit, and a selection of breads. The freshly squeezed orange juice is the best juice I have ever tasted. (Tip: take your breakfast into the dining room and steal a larger glass reserved for dinner guests!)

We did not eat dinner at the hotel (but the menu looked excellent and superb value for money - with dishes including duck breast, steak dianne, Châteaubriand, fresh fish etc)

There are some good restaurants and bars in monte gordo, but you must avoid the sea front, as they're geared for the Brit, German and Dutch tourists, and are not brilliant). Instead head into the square and find some excellent sushi and fresh fish.

There is an intermarche near to the hotel which has a cash machine inside. It is a bit of a tardis, and offers fresh and frozen meat & fish, vegetables, soft drinks, wine, beer, pet food, flip flops and everything else you can think of.

I really enjoyed my stay in monte gordo. I love the fact that they aren't trying to rip you off here. The hotels, restaurants and bars all offer decent food and drink at bargain prices.

I will definitely be tempted to return again. Our taxi driver mentioned that for the last few years its still been warm in October. You can probably stay in beach front suite in monte gordo for around £50 a day in low season (including hotels, flights, connections, food and drink etc), which seems fair value to me.

Highly recommended

Room Tip: I'd recommend a room from 411-419 (odd numbers) for premium views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Duna Mar Aparthotel? Share your experiences!