“Worst Western” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Fredericia
Skien, Norway
“Worst Western”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

I travel a lot in my business, and stay at hotels more that 100 nights per year.
The hotel "Kronprinds Fredrik" is OK, basically. The definitely best part is the food, and the servants, who do a fine job. The rooms are quite average, not qualifying for more than two stars.
Cleaning is below average. Behind my bathroom door, I saw pubic hairs, and I suspect them to be not only my own. (See pictures.)

Most of the reception personnel were a social disaster to me. I had booked one night in advance of a conference, and one night following the conference.
On day 2 of my stay, I was called up on my cellphone, and was asked had to leave the conference session, to go to the reception and explain why I had not handed in the key for the room at 11 sharp. I was asked to move out of the room straight away. My explanation didn't seem to make much of an apprehension to the lady behind the bar. After having exclaimed "but I am attending the conference!", the lady finally seemed to understand, and found out that I actually had booked - and paid for - a room also during the conference, and for one subsequent night. She checked the conference list of participants, and confirmed my question about staying in the same room until I was scheduled to leave.
On the day of the conference end, I was again called, this time by the arrangers, and was asked to contact the reception. Here I was asked leave in my key, and leave the room. I again explained the situation, and the lady, another one this time, found out. I did not get any excuse. Not from this lady, not from the first one, for the inconveniences I had had.
A couple of hours later, I asked a third lady in the reception for help, concerning my leave, and transport to the airport. She gave me the feeling that I bothered her. She was definitely more interested in her computer than in her customers. She was not able to produce any service at all concerning my transport needs, and seemed totally indifferent to my problem, which was to have to pay $160 for a taxi to the airport, instead of using other, and cheaper, public transport. Basically, she didn't care. She again concentrated on her computer, and seemed happy about that.

I do not understand how "Best" Western can afford to have personnel like these. The night before this, the same lady again was so concentrated on her computer that customers in the bar got slow service, during times when she had to step in for the barkeeper.

Two adequate words about this kind of service: Arrogant, and ignorant.

I'll never stay on Best Western again, and I am not going to recommend this chain to anyone. My advice is: Keep off Best Western Konprinds Frederik, and be sceptical to the rest of the hotel chain.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bromley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

The hotel is in a good position, most rooms have good views over the nearby lake and park. The rooms are ok, but only with a shower, no bath. The bathroom is a little cramped.

The restaurent is well patronised, and breakfast is good. If you want a drink in the evening, you have to order if from the reception desk and sit in the lobby area, which could be more welcoming.

I have stayed here many times. The staff are friendly and good. WIfi is free (on request). Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dusseldorf
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2006

On a business trip I had to stay two nights in Kolding. Because of lack of choice (it is the only bigger hotel) a stayed in the Best Western in Kolding. The design of the hotel is a bit dated. Rooms are ok, but the interior is at least 10 years old. The is a huge parking in front of the hotel, so finding space should never be a problem. And you will need your car, beside this entertainment center there is nothing in the neighbourhood. Breakfast is pretty nice and hotel staff is helpful. This hotel is ok for a short business stay, but on holiday you choose something closer to the center with more flair.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel Fredericia? Share your experiences!