“Highly unpleasant” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Marie Siska

Marie Siska
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Knokke-Heist
Marie Siska
You added Marie Siska to your Saves list
Zoutelaan 177, Knokke-Heist 8300, Belgium   |
London, United Kingdom
“Highly unpleasant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Having read about the famous waffles at Marie Siska we walked all the way there from our hotel in the middle of Knokke to try them. We arrived and were greeted (coldly) before being seated, when we enquired about a waffle menu we were told they wouldn't be serving them until 2pm as it was Sunday lunch time, not waffle time. We decided to play a round of mini-golf (only good thing about this place) and returned over an hour later. We were seated and once again asked for a waffle menu only to be told they weren't serving waffles for another half an hour. We mentioned to the older lady who was serving us that we had been told to come back at 2pm, this lady responded in an insulting manner, she called out to the waiter who had told us 2 o'clock, they then had a conversation over our heads that we couldn't understand but which blatantly inferred we were lying. She then turned back to us and said "no waffles". Even though I had begun to feel uncomfortable and would rather leave than give them a penny of my money I was actually supposed to be researching restaurants in the area so said we would wait for half an hour and could we have something to drink. We couldn't. We had to order food or get out. I find it hard to understand this level of unpleasantness, or why anyone would choose to dine unfriendly place. Pretty to look at but very ugly underneath.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Knokke
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

We have been quite a few times to Marie Siska. Everytime service was rather unfriendly and we had to wait for more than 1 hour to get our order. But as the children always had a good time we came back.

This time not only did we have to wait almost one hour and a half, but we were present with very low quality food. The children's chicken was overcooked to the point of barely being eatable, our meat was presented on a plate where it clearly had been lying around for at least half an hour. The vegetables were at least from the day before, the sauce already had a darkened skin on top of it and the french fries were cold. On top of it all, we had a dead fly under our meat.

When asked, the waiter could not see anything wrong. Worse the person responsible told us they do not need "cheap" customers like us (our bill was for almost 250 euros) and that we were way too critical.

DO AVOID.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Knokke-Heist hotels

knokke
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

We agree completely with all previous reviewers concerning bad service, unfriendly arrogant personnel and the rude manager. Additionnally we were very disappointed about the food , which used to be better, an the shocking racist comments of the manager ( who does he think he is?). No wonder the kids were on their own on the playground.
NOT TO BE RECOMMENDED AT ALL!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

I am sorry to say that though this is a beautiful place, of obvious tradition, I was truly disappointed by the unfriendliness of the staff and, what's worse, the rudeness of the lady in charge. We had a minor problem and were really polite in our enquiry, only to find that she was ready to chuck us out before even listening to us. That is no way to treat a customer. Especially since we had been going there every day for the past week with the kids. Even in disagreement, they should treat people with respect, and that is something that, for all their popularity, they are missing. A real shame of a place. Now we go to KINDER SISKA, only about 500 metres away. It is not as striking, but it remains a great place for children and staff is friendly and kind. Great playground for kids while you eat or just have a drink.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Zoute, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

We had a terrible afternoon at Siska's.
My wife and I sit in one of the beautiful gardens overlooking the sculptures and surroundings.
A youngman toke up our simple order of a Coke and a tomatojuice.
In a several minutes a other put a simple glass of juice(without tabasco etc.) and a bottle of Coke with a straw (please, I'm adult !) and no crips or anything to nibbel. (that's normaly in Belgium and by Siska too)
The coke was not cold, so I ask a glass with some icecubes. The waiter could not understand Flemish very well, iff I could speak French please ,he said in French.
I said to him that I never speak French in Flanders.
A maid translated, but he goes on and on in French.
(I couldn't understand much)
He went away and came back with the bill(!) € 6.25 orso. We now had to pay.
We hadn't drink at that time so we left the table and go out of the garden.
Now the youngman came after us and said that we have to pay.
I ignored him and said that we not pay because we not getting icecubes (not even mansioned tabasco)
He don't let us go and walk with us on the street..
He graped my arm and I said to go away.
The whole time he spoke French.
He would call the police and I said please call.
Instead he called with his chef (red: on FR1 news-television /youtube you can find I item about knokke with this man in a short interview)
Now he hold my wifes wheelchair and she now was in tears because she couldn't move anymore and my he called a racist because I refused to speak French.
The chef/manager came and he only said PAY,PAY!
He wouldn't listen to my side of the story and would have € 10,- now ! He wanted to hit me with his fist, so I run away.
Now the 2 try to ride with the wheelchair!
€ 10,- now ! the manager sreamed.
And he would take my wifes bag from here.
Meanwhile I toke a note of ten euros out of my purche and give it to him. I was terrified!
They went away and said I wasn't a good husband for my disabled wife.

We never never go back ! We live in Knokke and normaly we occacionaly visit Siska for the gardens and wafles. The last years sometimes we go away because we couldn't order anything and have to wait longtimes. But this time it was terrible.

Please look out before you go visit Marie Siska at the Zoutelaan in Knokke Zoute.
I saw many negatif reactions on this site.
It's a pitty , because it is a lovely place to be.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Brussels
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

My wife (medical doctor) and I (lawyer) went to Marie Siska for having lunch. The waiter gave us a table in the sun as we requested. Unfortunately the table being for four the waiter's boss, after we ordered, requested to move to another table in the shade ... He indeed wanted to use the table for three other people... We kindly answered that we would do so if he could find us another table in the sun. After all he gave us the table and even let us order...He bluntly asnwered that if we did not ot move we would not be served. I obviously complained and he then responded that next time I should truy to buy nicer clothes for my wife...

As a reminder this place is located at the seaside and some people don't go dressed in Gucci and Armano for a walk on the beach.

Conclusion: the management of this place believes to be God on earth and will remain friendly as long as you don't contradict them, spend enough and look bright. This is the first time we are treated like this and needless to say we will never return.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

Everything went well till my wife wanted to play with our daughter on playground. she sat on a chair belonging to another table, which was free, and the waiter came yelling at her and told to turn the chair around.

==> my wife went to the manager and he told her to go to hell and we wouldn't be served there again....

what is going on?????

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Marie Siska? Share your experiences!