“short break” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Redcastle Hotel

You added Redcastle Hotel to your Saves list
Redcastle Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Inishowen Peninsula, Moville, Ireland (Formerly The Redcastle Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Moville
Bangor, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“short break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is a lovely hotel and spotlessly clean staff very friendly and helpfull. The veiws r lovely and it was so relaxing haveing breakfast/dinner just looking out to the sea . the next time i go i would pay the extra 2 have an sea veiw room

Room Tip: get a sea veiw room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Ballymena, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a couple of nights at the Redcastle, a Christmas present from a reletive, and I have to say I found the hotel a very nice place to stay with just a few slight problems with stopped me giving it maximum rating. We arrived after a 90minute drive from Ballymena and, as usual with all hotels, our room wasn't ready so we were asked to wait 5 minutes. We went to the bar and had a drink, then to be told the room would be ready in 10 minutes. No biggie, but slightly annoying all the same. When we got to our room, we had a problem with the lock on the door and it was another 20 minutes before we could settle properly into our room.

Now putting this aside as teething problem, like another poster we got a room overlooking the roof of the restaurant, so a spectacular view was ruined slightly by the a/c unit of the restaurant. However it was a big spacious room, well decorated and very cosy. The en suite was very nice and well stocked with various shampoos and conditioners which the wife loved.

So what to do, well, the Redcastle is rather away from any big towns so there wasn't much to do out round the hotel itself. If you are staying for longer than 2 days you might not like the idea of having to travel some distance before you get somewhere. There is a "Leisureland" amusement arcade right next door, but it was obviously closed for the winter.

I've mentioned the flaws, so now it's time to outweigh them with positives.

The hotel is nicely furnished, clean, modern and airy. The views over the lough are superb, and it caters well for people staying there. The Spa, my wife tells me, was very very relaxing and the people who treated her were very professional and very nice to her. The gym is well equipped and has all the latest fitness machines, while the pool/steamroom is an excellent place to while away a couple of hours in the jacuzzi's and massage sections. It can get busy as it is open to members, but any programmes run by the hotel are kept seperate from all the jacuzzis.

As a keen golfer I was looking forward to playing the hotel's 9 hole course, many friends played it and told me it was a tricky but rewarding round. And so it proved. For February the course was it great condition and the greens were very very good indeed. It may not be long but with a couple of par fives, and some very tricky par 3s and a decent finishing hole it was a very nice experience.

So finally, the food and drink. Well breakfask is served in the main restaurant which is perched overlooking the lough. It consisted of fruit, cereals, breads and a cooked breakfast (though cheese and cooked meat was available). It was all well presented and proved a very satisfying start to the day. We never ate in the main restaurant, though anyone we talked to said it was very good. Instead we ate in the Captain's Bar both nights, and although there is quite a limited menu, the food is excellent and prices are not too steep. The Antipasta platter was excellent, and with house wine coming in at 5.25euros for a full glass, a menu for two would cost around 40-50 euros.

All in all, the Redcastle is a hotel I would recommend. If you got one of the corner rooms with a balcony overlooking the lough, and if all the wee problems were ironed out I would have no hesitation giving it five stars. I will return to Redcastle, mostly for the golf, but it is a place I'd be happy to spend a weekend away.

Longer than that......I'm not so sure.

Room Tip: Lough view. Preferrably on the far corner of the hotel with balconies.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Your_Customer_Care, Guest Relations Manager at Redcastle Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, we really do appreciate all comments from our guests and it allows us to continually improve our product. I am sorry that your arrival was interrupted; our check in time is 3.00pm although we will always try where possible to accommodate people who require a room slightly earlier. There should not have been any issues with your lock and I apologise for the inconvenience. I will certainly pass all of your comments to the team here and it is lovely to be able to do so. You mention that you would be happy to return and I hope we get a chance to welcome you back in the near future.

london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I like to be fair so - you should also read my previous review 8-oct-2012 entitled GGRRREATTT so you get a feel for this hotel.
in summary: spa a let down, reception customer service not on their top form -decor in main hotel areas excellent - room lovely - dinner and breakfast - outstanding!

when I arrived it was 3:20 and my room was not ready - I was surprised because I use hotels alot for work and expected check in to be 2 - so I went to the spa I couldnt leave my case as my costume etc was in the case so I had to lug it down several flights of stairs to the spa, and they brought my room key down there to pick up, which was good as it saved me walking back up with my case - wet!

When I arrived at the spa - my friends had moved my treatment forward 30 mins so that those who had not arrived yet could have later treatment this meant the receptionist needed me to quickly change and go through - the first FOUR lockers didnt lock so by the time id lugged my case into the 5th locker I would happily have killed someone.
I rushed into the spa area to find there was no real rush at all. but oh dear the spa room was not at all the warm relaxing and beautifully scented area I remembered from october- this was a darkened really cold room with a broken fountain the staff were busy mopping up the dripping water from - there was no scented smell apart from mild disinfectant from the mops and all the little tabels and small reading lights were gone - leaving you no way of reading your book or placing your drink down.
the loungers were all too close together and there was no towels or rugs - my friends were there and they had plenty to say about how it wasnt as I had described - we did say that it was too cold but the staff just said yeah isnt it - so we then asked for towels which we got.
I had my treatment and it was really lovely and relaxing (I fell asleep) but seemed very quick as when it was over the lights were flicked on and the relaxation cut short.
I couldnt use the room as it was so cold and my towel had been taken so i went to the pool - OMG ICY is an understatement - so this meant I didnt want to use the jets or any of the bubble seated areas as it was so cold but the steam room ( box) was lovely and hot so I enjoyed that -
we asked to wear our robes up to our rooms and the receptionist said and I quote" thats ok but bring them back or theres a 30 euro charge and gave these wee paper slips out to return with them)
this was at 5:30 - the slip said by 6 -we pointed out the time and they said as soon as you can. fair enough but is this a 4 star approach - mmm no! trust me my towel was not of a standard anyone would want to take home and the robe was really rough -
swimming caps are essential and are charged for 2-3 euro each.

This pool area could be improved mainly by heating it! also by adding a few heated loungers or if this is not affordable a few loungers so it feels like a spa experience - it feels to me like a nice family pool ( if it was warmer)

On to our room - it was a three person room - and it was a great size and was nice and warm - we were very happy with it - note though if you like a view it wasnt great ( rubble part of a roof and then the sea but we didnt care too much) this room would be great for a family as great floor space - I think it was 203 or something it was above the spa and faced out to the left with a helicopter landing strip in view (- bit of rubble with a H on it)

cocktails - were part of the deal - they were lovely and we enjoyed them in the area just beside the decking facing ut to sea. - a lovely pre dinner area.

Dinner & Breakfast - once again outstanding - this IS 5 STAR!!!! we had the Table d'hote menu which is roughly the same as it was in october - really lovely -
on friday night the dining room was really busy and righty so.

music in the bar was ok - it was needed as it livened things up.

would I go back - it would have to be a good deal - for me to want to stay again but I would eat here again.

I believe other members of our party were less happy about their experience, I just know based on my previous stay that things could have been a whole better and a simple sorry can go a long way.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and thank you also for choosing to stay with us again. I am very sorry to read about your experience. For a short period during your stay the Hotel heating system was causing problems, this caused interruptions to the heating of the rooms and the pool. While unavoidable it should not have affected your stay in any way. I appreciate that you returned to stay with us with and recommended us to your group. I am glad that you enjoyed your meal and the cocktails. We would really welcome the opportunity to make up for these issues and to assure you that this is not our normal standard Please contact us on feedback@redcastlehotel.com and we would appreciate the chance to discuss these issues with you. Thank you again
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

What a huge disappointment!!!
When we arrived my first impressions weren't great - the room was very dated, cold and furniture was very worn. Our view was the vent from the restaurant which was very noisey also. The en suite was not very clean with taps etc quite rusty.
We then went to the bar for some lunch - I waited for 15 minutes at the bar to be served and once the food arrived we had been given no cuterly to eat the food.
We were most looking forward to using the Spa...what turned out to be the worst part of the hotel. The pool was FREEZING!!! Sauna and Steam Room were broken (how this could even be called a Spa when facilities are not working??!!) We were so disappointed - this was definitely the final straw.
I went to reception to complain and say we would like to check out as the Spa facilities were not working! The receptionist was less than interested and told my partner and I to go to our room and the manager would meet us.
Off we went back to our room and decided we would go on the internet to look for any other near by hotels...and of course the wifi wasnt working! Waited 20 minutes and still no sign of the manager. I then called the receptionist and she informed me she would be up to our room shortly. After a few minutes the phone rang and it was the "duty" manager called Suzanne! I explained the situation to her and literally laughed at my complaint. I literally could not believe how rude she was! I got no apology and instead was told that we wouldnt get our money back as it was within the 24hour cancellation period. I explained how I didnt think this was very fair as the facilities advertised weren't working!
We packed our bags and went down to reception - Suzanne then appeared very stern and unapologetic whilst I said how disappointed we were after having a three hour journey to get there.
She then said "I suppose we can waiver the room fee this time!" (Would like to hope so!)
So we paid for lunch bill and left very annoyed and frustrated - oh and with no apology!!
We then stayed in the Galgorm Resort and Spa the following evening - highly recommended by the way!! How this Redcastle hotel is a four star I do not know?!! Staff need some customer service training - especially so called duty manager!!! Disgusted at how we were treated I think they looked at us as a young couple who they couldnt have cared less about!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay and am happy to answer your points raised. I apologise that you felt that your room was not acceptable and we do take your points on board. The bathroom in this room after inspection did not have evidence of rust on the taps. Having reviewed the order docket and the CCTV for the bar area it showed that your entire wait from entering the bar to receiving your food was 13 minutes, on entering the bar you were attended to within 2 minutes. This wait time would not be unusual for freshly prepared food.
The pool temperature was below normal on this day due to a fault with the system and you are quite right that this should not have been the case. The sauna and steam room were in perfect working order throughout your stay and were used by many guests during this period.
Once you requested to speak to a manager she was immediately called, our records show that the receptionist on duty called you three minutes after your initial call to inform you that the manager was reviewing the details of your complaint and would call you as soon as the details had been investigated. Once our manager made contact with you it was to discuss these issues, she did not in anyway laugh at you on the phone and this was confirmed by the several people present during this call. I am sorry that you felt that this was the case. When you arrived at the desk you were greeted by our manager and the receptionist on duty, again the details of this exchange are captured on the CCTV and our own detailed records. During your conversation with our manager she apologised for the inconvenience on several occasions. Your room fee was wavered; you did not mention your issues with the bar service on check out. Your partner thanked our manager prior to your departure.
Age in no way determines how we treat our guests; we value and respect all of our customers young or old. I am sorry that your experience was less than positive but some of the information in your review is inaccurate and not consistent with the records we have. If you wish to discuss any of these points we would be happy to do so. Please contact us on feedback@redcastlehotel.com
Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was our second trip to the Redcastle Hotel as we liked it very much last year. As the weather was terrible with rain and gale force winds, we decided to treat ourselves with a suite. It was a bit tired looking, needed a makeover, and we really should have taken one of the sea view rooms we liked so much last year (and cheaper too!!). Although with the bad weather we wouldn't have seen any of the scenery anyway.
Still a great trip, as the hotel is still very good and the area for exploring is excellent. Not their fault about the weather, and the hotel was a bargain price being "off -season".

Room Tip: Choose sea view room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and for choosing the Hotel for a second visit. I will certainly pass your comments on to our management team and thank you once again for taking the time to offer your feedback
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This hotel is great for a relaxing midweek break. Very good staff, friendly and professional. Great pool with views over the lough and the restaurant also has lovely views. Food is very good and reasonably priced. Room was a wee bit tired and with an uninspiring view, but it was very comfortable and scrupulously clean - certainly not poorly maintained. Had a great night's sleep as it was perfectly quiet. Fitness centre and spa look very nice but we didn't use them. Will definitely return and consider it extremely good value for money. Seal spotting opportunities if you walk along the loughside!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

This is what €415 buys you in the Redcastle hotel. 2 nights bed, breakfast and one evening meal (wine not included). I took my daughter away for a mother daughter spa weekend for her 21st birthday and what a disappointment! The hotel is rated as a 4star but it certainly does not deserve it. The room was average, with dated and worn furniture, the bathroom was in needed a deep clean and a replacement sink as it was cracked. We had no hand soap or wash cloths.

We both got spa treatments, but my daughter's treatment room was that cool her hands got cold and she got goose bumps on her legs. After our massages we went to relax in the sauna and steam room (which were only big enough to accommodate a maximum of 4 people) but had to walk past the pool area with 4 young men messing around, not what you expect when you are paying the money I paid! Also the tiles in the pool were cracked and broken and not all the jacuzzi elements were working. I was also expecting a separate jacuzzi pool, but the jacuzzi was part of the main pool, which was cold, as the temperature regulator was broken!

Our evening meal which was included in the price was disappointing as we had to wait 40 minutes between our starter leaving and main arriving, and that was only because I complained. When our main meal arrived my medium rare steak arrived it was more raw to rare so it had to get sent back. When it came back it was medium to well done. The breakast looked the part, but when we came down at 9:30 the heat lamps had not done a great job at keeping the food warm, it was lukewarm.

So, after all this, I finally had enough and complained, what did I get, an apology and told I did not have to pay for my wine or €15 supplement for our steaks, not very generous. Will I be back, definitely not!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read about your recent stay with us. I can assure you that this is certainly not our usual standard and I apologise that you stay was not enjoyable. I would be grateful if you would contact us directly so we can discuss this further on feedback@redcastlehotel.com
Redcastle Customer Care Team

Been to Redcastle Hotel? Share your experiences!