“HOME AWAY HOME OR HOME” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Vythiri
oman
“HOME AWAY HOME OR HOME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

we cannot call stream valley a home away home, its a home, with such a good ambiance. Beautiful huts, stream passing near to the huts and lovely green small jungle. Have to specially appreciate the food, such a beautiful homely food with reasonable price.

Room Tip: I prefer you to take tilt room with stream view (room name is Nandha).
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Hope the Stream Valley management is reading this.

By Gods grace was fortunate enough that I didnt stay at this resort. I have no idea how this resort looks like and dont care a damn for it.I am sharing my experience during the initial enquiry and reservation and the trauma of refund.

I am serving the Service industry for last 7 years and have experience of staying in a wide range of hotels right from budget to 5 star, but the response I got from the Lady Ms.Lalita both on email and on Phone was most pathetic in my entire life. And this lady boasts that she is in the industry for last 15+ years. God save the customers from you.

Got a good response for the initial query so felt that this can be a good resort. On further probing on email, the response was after 3 days. The reason given for such a long response was erratic net connection...ok..quite understandable...this is India.

But I still fail to understand how does Madam Lalita reverts within few hours whenever I called her as reminder. This has happened on all the 3 occasions of delayed response. So it is not problem with net connection, it is the lack of attitude of customer service and ignorance.

Still I went ahead with booking the resort and emailed her that hopefully your service is not this slow and the responce I got from her is if u are not confident about service, i cant help much about it.

How will a customer have the confidence if u revert in this manner, merely opening a resort and providing discounts is not going to get you customers dear Ms. Lalita.

The confidence has to be created in our hearts by your words and actions and by your services and proper replies.

Ideally the reply should have been- Assuring you of best service.

But you are living in a alien world and you think that you are doing a great favour on your customer by allowing them to stay at your resort.

The language of the email is like writing an mail to a friend. Ms. Laita uses abbreviations in the email and upon that these are non-standard abbreviations (probably invented by her for her own convinience to avoid typing). I had too rack my brains to understand the email.
Madam, please go through some email ettiquettes, you need not spend on it, these are widely available on the net.

I have all the emails and the trail mails of my communication with the resort.

By now I should have got the message that u r not at all interested in serving the customer, but I thought this may be because of bad english or lack of knowledge of customer service and ettiquetes.. point taken and understood.

Out of this ignorance of giving a second chance, I made the payment through Online transfer on Mon, 8th Aug,2011 and sent a email alongwith payment details, reservation dates and screenshot of the payment to Ms.Lalita.

Still no response untill 11th Aug 2011,3.39pm (this was the 4th day after making the payment) I finally called up Madam Lalita.

On knowing that I am the same person who had emailed her a few tips about customer service she literally started abusing me (i have the voice recording for this) and informed me that she has cancelled the reservation.

Instead of replying anything to her and avoiding an unnecessary argument to save myself from hearing and speaking anything foul,I instead instantly agreed to cancel the booking and asked her to pay me back my amount of INR 3000.

Ideally I should have sued you personally for the abusive language and your resort for the harassement.

Ms.Lalita forwarded the email to their accounts department but by deleting all the trail mails. Probably she had by then realised that she has done a mistake or she had no guts the face the Owner and MD and explain them the reason for refund.

I had to send a reminder mail again to know the status of refund and finally received the refund on 20th Aug 2011.

Madam Lalita, I regret there are such terrible people like you on earth who use foul language to speak to their customer and you are a lady, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Best Luck. Hope your resort prospers ahead.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

These very nice cottages were outdoorsy/rustic, but also very comfortable, spacious, and had lovely balconies for sitting. There was plenty of natural light and the food served here was quite good. Our only major complaint was that it was impossible to do anything at the time we booked the cottage for -- something which the manager told us, as soon as we arrived, but not until we had hauled up the mountain from Kannur at the price of several thousand rupees. In the end, our visit here was pretty -- in a pouring rain during monsoon, lush kind of way -- but we really couldn't leave our cottage (which, as the manager warned us, was literally surrounded by leeches). It was pretty disappointing and a waste of our time/money. We left early after spending one night to go back down the mountain to Calicut. I'm sure this is a nice place to stay during another point in the season, but definitely make sure you know what you are getting into weather-wise, because the weather here was not at all the same as on the coast (e.g., Kannur or Calicut, where it did rain once after we arrived there from Wayanad where it was literally pouring non-stop). All this said, the manager was gracious and helpful after the fact. He helped us arrange an efficient escape, etc. And the boys who helped with the food were really sweet. We just wish we had been told there would be nothing for us to do there once we arrived and that we would be paying to stay shut up in the cottage during our visit. (Also note, there is very limited to no signal for mobile phones/USB internet here.)

Room Tip: We really liked the cottage on stilts
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We were at stream valley this feb for the valentines. We drove down to this place from bengaluru . The resort is tucked away in thick vegetation and forest lands bordering it. We stayed one day in the tree house and another on the stilt cottages. Now coming to the experiences...
Tree house : its about 30 feet from the ground level, and offers a lovely view on all sides, the whole cottage sways a gentle degree when there is heavy breeze, making it unique experience. There was 24 hours hot water supply. a nice cute and small bathroom. The food is good here, the only problem is if u r staying for about 3-4 days then it may get repetitive. The portions were sufficient for both of us. But we are not supposed to leave the windows open through out as monkeys will sneak in for a snack and create ruckus if left open unmonitored during the day . during the night this is bliss... And it gets quite cold during the nights.. so get some woolen. we have power supply and a standing fan too. Since we had our own car, we had the freedom to move about easily whenever we wanted to. We would just loiter out of the resort , drive down to the road and get some food, if we found the resort food boring.

Stilt Cottages: This is like out of the world, super luxury cottages for the same price as the tree house. It was huge and spacious and sitting in the balcony of the cottage was a magical experience during the nights.

Surprisingly there were no mosquitoes in the resort. the staff are quite friendly and quick. the manager surya was a friendly person who immediately gave us a map of the whole place and told us about the places we can go and see..

If u aren't god at walking long, then don't bother to go to the waterfalls as they require a lot of walking climbing etc... the way they have maintained the place free fro plastic was really remarkable.
Banasura dam was a good place to go though.
we loved the time we spent at stream valley and long to o back there as soon as possible again

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Fremantle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I have to say that I found the location and rooms excellent. quite stylish and pleasing to the eye. The stream through the middle of the property is also nice. The manager was very pleasant and sorted out most things we wanted with the notable exception of a hot shower. As other reviewers have pointed out they are hell bent on getting you to stay in the stilt cottages due to the 1000rs or so extra surcharge. Let it be known that the nanda stilt cottage does not have a hot shower only a waist level tap. We were there in winter and it was quite uncomfortable to bathe. The number six ground level cottage however has a serviceable shower and was quite pleasant. Don't make the mistake that we did and and be pressured into the more expensive room it was not worth it. Also the food was excellent. However if you are there in winter go for the ground level cottage number 8 it has a trickle of hot water out of the shower head, The other thing to look out for is that in some locations you can hear the highway and construction sites nearby so keep an eye out for those.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Bangalore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

I stayed at Stream Valley Cottages in Wayanad for 2 nights in Dec '09. I had selected the resort after seeing their web pages. The resort is located off the NH-212 highway, and seems to be in a quiet location away from any traffic. There was some difficulty in locating them after I left the highway as the signboards were not at the right places, and fortunately my mobile worked well to get someone from there to accompany me in the car. The approach road was very bad, and I was not surprised to later on discover that a screw had penetrated one of my car's tyres, giving me a scare.

The hotel's manager had informed his staff about my schedule, so they were ready with a cottage for us. But then they made a terrible mistake of sending a non- veg lunch to our cottage, notwithstanding my clear requests that we were vegetarian. Fortunately my wife was alert to suspect it and send it back for the right stuff. The lunch (and dinner) containers were large, but their contents were rather less, something that I don't consider wrong outright, but inappropriate. The food appeared over- priced by about 30 to 40% (at Rs. 400/- a day per person).

The hotel arranged for a jeep to take us for local sightseeing. The price for this was also somewhat on the high side, at Rs. 1700/-.

The only nice part was the cottage's get- up, rooms, and toilet, all of which were quite clean and nice. The location is also within walking distance of Pookote lake, known for its flowers and boating. Although the resort is surrounded by good tea plantations and small forests, they had no staff to escort guests for any nature walks around so we had to guide ourselves!

All said and done, I still do recommend stream valley cottages for a family get- away, as long as one is willing to live with all the above.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

Stream valley is a descent place with good cottages; we stayed at ground level cottages. Rooms are big and clean. Service was prompt. Breakfast was excellent. Dinner was OK (not much choise), quantity is high. 1 Meal is sufficient for 2 people. Approach is a bit bumpy but close to the main road.
Thanks Sunil for the hospitality

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Stream Valley Cottages? Share your experiences!