“An incredible steak with great, genuine service” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
New York
“An incredible steak with great, genuine service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I just ate at Kupferpfandl and has one of the best (if not the best) steaks I've ever had! I highly recommend eating here.

Previous reviewers commented on the service. The owner was busy and impersonal, but he was professional. He clearly runs a very successful restaurant. My hosts are American but engaged him and his waitstaff in German and he took well to this. I believe he is French. Our waiter was great - but don't expect hand and foot service with a white towel over the arm. By looks, he may have also been the butcher!

The food was incredible. There are two pages of steak listed -- each steak has different 'toppings'. Mine had mushrooms on it. It was great!

The value was decent. I paid 19.50 euros for the best steak of my life. This, with the incredible ambiance of the restaurant, makes it a 5 star restaurant in my opinion. Get a reservation... walk in won't happen.

• Visited November 2013

• Czech first
“It's okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Was recommended to dine there for a good steak meal, so we went to celebrate my husbands birthday. Loved the ambiance of this place. When we order out beverages, our server assumed that my husband never tasted a German beer, and made several comments how he may need to watch it because its not watery like Bud light. My husband loves german beer (he's enjoys beer tastings like I enjoy wine tastings), and was offended by his assumptions because we are American. We also did not like the hour wait for our bill. We had to ask for it several times. The server told us a couple of times that it wasn't his fault, and that his boss has to bring the bill. When we finally got the bill,his boss did not stop by the table to deliver it. Our server did. ?? The food was fantastic! Great steaks, perfect side choices, loved the wine and beer choices. Not sure if we'll go back. Birthday Boy wasn't that impressed. Will be looking out for another steak restaurant with better service.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Velburg, Germany
“Be Careful not to upset the owner”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Sometimes you get poor service at a restaurant, but you decide to give it another try. We all have bad days.

Sadly, our second visit was worst that the first.

We had confirmation of 23 in our group. The owner 'required' a minimum of 20, perhaps the allocation of the room, don't know, but we had 17 actually come.

Mortal sin.

We received very poor service, the owner was craby and 'misunderstood' us several times including when we asked about spargel on the menu only to be told the season hadn't started yet, but we know spargel was in stores and other restaurants for at least 3 weeks, salads and other things that came with our dinners sadly did not arrive. Some items had unique seasoning, and, overall, it was a disappointing night. Especially in light of the wonderful reviews on this site.

I know I will not return there again. The owner will not lose any sleep over it nor will I. It was a strained and uncomfortable night due to the owner's attitude.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Tustin, Michigan
“A Real Steak!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

After reading the reviews I decided to take my wife out during our week long trip to Germany and give this restaurant a try. It's tucked right down in the shopping district of Amberg but we found an easy parking spot right across the street from the front door. The lobby splits the restaurant in two and although we didn't have reservations, we were seated almost immediately. The rustic beams and country German farm decor add to the charm of this place although as with most eateries here in Germany it is dimly lighted. Our server was excellent and even though we don't speak any English, she guided us through the menu with ease. The steaks were thick and juicy and cooked perfectly! I thought it strange that we didn't get steak knives until I cut into my steak with the butter knife. The tenderness was unimaginable! Do yourself a favor and visit this A+ gem!

• Visited April 2013
Amberg, Bayern, Germany
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I live in Amberg for 8 years now and this is still the best steak I have ever had. Alain (Owner) is fantastic, food is excellent, ambiance very rustic and cool. His staff is great and the food never disappoints. Make reservations as it is always full for walk ins. A++ eatery

• Visited March 2013