“A breath of fresh air!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunshine Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thiruvannamalai
Sunshine Guest House
You added Sunshine Guest House to your Saves list
5 Annamalai Nagar | Perumbakkam Road, Thiruvannamalai 606603, India   |
Kapaa, Hawaii, United States
“A breath of fresh air!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Thank you Sunshine Guest house-you make India fell like home! Great ambiance, clean and welcoming-thank you-what a relief after 12 hours of travel! Sathya and Corrine are great hosts and they went out of their way to make sure I had what I needed and that I knew where I was going. India can be overwhelming at times and the Sunshine Guest House was a perfect landing spot.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We have to cancel our two day trip on 19th March from Thiruvannamalai. Thanks to the absolutely insensitive attitude and unreliable bookings.
We have booked a room for two nights on 29-31st March 2013 on 30th October 2012 ie 6months back.
As latest as 1st March-7th March 2013, we have followed up with them( as we didnt get any email responses) including a phone call on 6th March: only to change the booking to 19th and 20th nites.
We have received confirmation on 7th March by sms after talking with Dr.Sathyan. That information about confirmation has been sent to emails of booking, Dr.SathyanOn 19th March, when we are about to visit this place we have enquired the directions to guest house from Ramanashramam,
We have been informed by one Mr. Jim that:
- he is new to bookings( perhaps forgotten that he was the one who has been requested on 5th March for the change. Since then we have not received any response; except from Dr.Sathyan)
- he did not have any information about our bookings( perhaps again overlooked the email about our confirmation sent on 7th March)
- nothing much he can do about the rooms availability: as did not have any apriori information
(am not sure how many times and how many people do we need to followup for a simple booking and its confirmation)

We have not received any communication from 7th March, if there is any change in the booking status after their confirmation!! Nor did we receive any communication on the original booking status!!!

We did try out at Ramana Towers and Ashram once again if we can salvage the situation for ourselves; but in vain. We have taken a good lunch at Hotel Arpana( by far the best) and returned just now to Bangalore.

Wish the personnel at Sunshine are as responsive as Dr.Sathyan is and most importantly the bookings section of the website and reservation related personnel are sensitive to the guest who have made the bookings; and provide alternate options in such an apparent inter office miscommunications.

By the way we have not received the response to our query from Mr.Jim: ie about the directions to the guest house( am not sure if he felt that it was irrelevant or if the guest house is so choc a bloc that no visitor can even drop by for even a lunch or so...ofcourse we have not expressed explicitly our desire to savor the delicacies after this traumatic experience)

The only saving grace and solace is the consistently responsive disposition of Dr.Sathyan: who has also enabled in getting a formal confirmation from booking email id even on 30th October 2012 when we made the initial booking.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
drsathyan, Owner at Sunshine Guest House, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you Mr.Srinivas
you are right, there is a huge mis communication from our end. we are truly sorry from our heart to you. our add reservation at our system got collapsed. we understand that, jim was working hard to fix that. please let us know, in what way we could be helpful?..
we would like to offer you on your next visit to thiruvannamalai, please let us know, we could organize your stay with us for free.
Please accept our apology, i understand .
Thanks
Regards
Sathyan
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at Sunshine Guesthouse. We had a room on the first floor. The view from the balcony was marvellous. The room itself was tidy and clean and beautifully decorated. We received a warm welcome by phone from the owner. The guesthouse is a bit outside from the city center but that made it even more appealing for us. We would definetely recommend this guesthouse!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Daytona Beach, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

It's India, how could you go wrong... It was a lovely time at the guest house, nice big room, A/C, lights, fan, bathroom w/ shower. As long as the town had power the A/C worked nicely. If power did cut out the rooms had generators hooked up so that you still had light and a fan. Breakfast, lunch and dinner was available upon request, nothing fancy, but good home cooked Indian food and sometimes a western dish to change things up. Staff was friendly and helpful when asked. Not too far from Ramana's Ashram, maybe a 15-20 minute walk or you could call and a auto rickshaw would pick you up. Beautiful view of Arunachala. Overall, a very nice stay at the guest house. One tip would be to get the room name in the reservation to confirm that you have the room as they do not have numbers (Ganesha, Lakshmi, etc.).

Room Tip: The first floor has better water pressure.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have travelled to India fro 20 years and this place was a rare and special find.
The owner Sathya arranged my taxi from Bangalore airport and I was safely taken directly to the door of this quiet and beautiful spot. All rooms have a view of Arunachala, the holy mountain.
The owner and staff are lovely, the guests were all warm and friendly. I would absolutely return and highly recommend this place.
The owner also arranged my rickshaws and let me know correct prices etc.
If you're cigarette smoke sensitive - fyi - the whole relaxing lounge area is openly a smoking zone.
A perfect chance to be in a quiet spot a short distance from the loud and bustling pilgrimage town.

Room Tip: i think all rooms are perfectly situated. Theres only 7!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I had one of the greatest experience in India by staying in the Sunshine Guesthouse . I knew Tiruvannamalai well allready but this place is not like any other i tried before . The vieuw is fabulous ( probably rare in the region ) on Arunachala mountain . Waking up early morning with that vieuw was so refreshing . There was sometimes mist on the top of the mountain or different other color formations ; add to that the blissful nature environment that keeps u relaxed . The staff has always been so kind , helpfull and ready to make my stay unforgettable . I felt myself like never before , discovering so many sacred things . For that price and simple confort , i was truly happy. there is also purified water available at any time . Can't find that in many places nowadays . Thank you also to the warmth welcome delivered by the staff and Manager Sathya . A place to meditate , relax , open your heart , discover who u are , love nature and meet interesting people ... A place to BE ! Aum Aum Aum

Room Tip: All rooms are the same except one which is bigger . 3 out of the 7 rooms can fit up to 4 people ( m...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Part of me wants to keep this place a secret as it won over my heart and my stomach - the indian food prepared fresh daily by Tilaga is out of this world! Sunshine Guest House is a gem of a guesthouse for any traveller. I was a solo traveller on my first trip to India and Sunshine was my first stop - I still count my blessings that I found it. From the moment of my arrival I was made to feel at home and like part of this extended family - I loved the relaxed atmosphere, the fabulous view of Mt Arunachala, the food, the rooms and just the peacefulness that surrounds the area.

What made is so special is also the owner/manager Sathya - he makes everyone feel welcomed and was always on hand if you needed to sort anything out - from getting to somewhere, to finding accomodation in another part in india - nothing was too much hassle.

I stayed for 7 nights initially and I enjoyed myself so much that I came back for another 3 nights at the end of my trip as I couldn't leave without seeing Mt Arunachala again.

I would recommend staying here for a unique experience. I will definitely be back!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Sunshine Guest House? Share your experiences!