“Great venue” 4 of 5 stars
Review of De Vere Venues

Save Saved
You added De Vere Venues to your Saves list
De Vere Venues
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   New Place , Shirrell Heath, Shirrell Heath SO32 2JY , England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Shirrell Heath
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We stayed here as wedding guests, in a first floor room sat atop the swimming pool enclosure, and found the room to be very comfortable - if not particularly large - with the added benefit of opening windows (which afforded a pleasant view of a shared courtyard). The room was quiet and well-appointed, and met our needs well. We partook of the luncheon menu, and found it to be very good indeed; who would have thought that a De Vere would do fish-finger sandwiches? But they were excellent. Evening buffet food was top-notch, as were the dance facilities - which were suitably (and sensibly) placed away from rooms - and the cooked breakfast was very good too. So, all in all, a great venue, but the room could have been a wee bit larger.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at De Vere Venues, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and the wedding celebration, I hope we can welcome you back in 2014. Have a great Christmas.

653 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed at this hotel last weekend after I booked a reservation for a surprise for my husbands birthday. We didn't arrive until late on the Friday night but were greeted by a lovely gentleman who introduced us to the hotel and facilities.
First impressions were excellent and our room was modern, clean and tidy and the bed was super comfy! One thing I would like to suggest is a mirror in the bedroom as there was only one in the bathroom and we all know that using electrical items like a hairdryer in the bathroom is not the best idea.
Breakfast on both mornings was fantastic and there was ample of choice, however on the second morning we were left standing around while they cleared tables for us and other guests.
My biggest disappointed was the service on Saturday evening. After a lovely day in Winchester we returned to the hotel and called the reception to make a reservation for that evening in the restaurant only to be told sorry we are full (Surely any hotel should be able to cater for all of their guests). However we were told that we could eat in the bar and after seeing it we thought well that's not too bad.
We arrived into the bar dressed for dinner to be greeted by a big television screen blaring out daytime TV, which for us completely ruined the ambience for such a lovely hotel. We again asked if we could be squeezed in the restaurant and were told to get a drink and someone would be back to let us know. After purchasing our drinks (a bottle of wine) I asked if we could have a wine cooler only to be told I would need to go and ask reception! Since when do you serve chilled wine without a cooler or actually have to go and get it yourself? Was I not the customer?! Later that evening I then saw a wine bottle being served put in a plastic jug with ice (clearly there is a wine cooler shortage at this hotel). After 20 minutes no one returned about eating in the restaurant so I went back to the restaurant to ask and was again told there was no room. I even said I was prepared to eat at 9.30pm but again the answer remained no.
We ordered our food in the bar and took a table. Our starters came out after about 20 minutes but we then had to wait another 50 minutes for our main at which point we had had enough of waiting as well as listening to the TV, so sent them back. In my eyes my husbands birthday weekend was ruined as this was our only night at the hotel where we were hoping to enjoy a lovely evening.
One of the managers came over to apologise and offered us complimentary drinks however we did think it was unfair that the blame was put on a young lad who had to work the bar and restaurant drinks pretty much by himself. It was soon obvious that there was both a wedding and party going on at this hotel that evening and I feel that this was their priority over other paying guests. What was more upsetting is that other guests who had eaten in the restaurant that evening said that at no point when they were in their was it full. There are definitely so many nice things I could say about this hotel but my experience, well experiences on the Saturday night has ruined it for me.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry that you were unable to dine in the restaurant on Saturday night as the restaurant was indeed full. I am sorry that you felt the guests attending the private party and wedding took priority, but these guests were all residents and had dinner included in the rate. I understand that you had a great rate of £35 for the room per night with breakfast and that you enjoyed breakfast. We do offer dinner, bed and breakfast deals subject to availability and start from £99 per night.
I do hope you will visit New Place again in 2014 and take advantage of our great inclusive deals.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We booked this last minute as a stop over prior to our cruise.
On arrival we struggled to find a parking space, eventually we found one right at the end of the car park (last one)
Receptionist was polite & friendly, visited the bar which was in the main lodge, beautiful building with loads of character. Sky sports was on tv, not overpowering, although there was limited seating as it is not that bigger area. The rooms are lodges behind the main building. Well equipped with tea/coffee, hair dyer & iron. Well turned out, clean & tidy, too hot for me although one mans meat etc.
My only issue is the noise you get through the walls and via the communal walkways which run past your front doors. If you are a heavy sleeper it will not affect you, it is not unbearable and I suppose depends on the courtesy of other guests. Nothing hotel can do about that !
We took breakfast at £8.50 each which we felt offered good value, especially as eggs were cooked whilst you wait. Food was fresh and the young lad on egg duty was incredibly polite and friendly.
All in all good value and despite the noise would use again.
Polite staff cost nothing and made our stay albeit a short one more enjoyable. Give the lad on eggs a pay rise !

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the main building which will minimise the foot traffic outside you room
Dear Guest
Thank you for your very constructive feedback, I really appreciate your comments especially relating to our chef on breakfast, who will be very encouraged by your compliment’s I hope we can welcome you back to De Vere Venues New Place.
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We took advantage of a cheap room here to celebrate our Anniversary.The staff were all very friendly and helpful.We used the swimming pool the day we checked in and again the following morning,it really is lovely.The grounds were really large and had a nature trail,which we did before leaving.The also have a coffee lounge which was complementary,a welcome touch as the weather was cold.We really loved our stay and would certainly look for another deal at this hotel.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that felt your stay was good value. I am pleased that you would visit us again, I look forward to welcoming you back to De Vere Venues New Place.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

On Friday evening our cricket club held our end of season dinner and awards night at New Place with many choosing to stay overnight. From the initial contact with Anna in the Sales Office a few months ago to the running of the evening with Socrates and his team, New Place delivered exemplary organisation and customer service. Check in was friendly and efficient, food wonderful with extremely attentive staff and nothing was too much for them and the room we ate in was stunning. After the dinner we were well looked after in the bar and everyone retired to bed in excellent spirits having enjoyed a fantastic night. The following morning we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast where we were given our own private room. The food, like the dinner, was great. I honestly could not fault anything about New Place. Already we're all looking forward to our return in 2014!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, and returning again to New Place. I llok forward to welcoming you back in 2014.
Knd regards
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is the third De Vere Venue I've stayed in, and probably the best of all three. But I would say New Place follows the same pattern of pro's and con's. The main house is lovely, the restaurant was beautiful, the food sublime. The Bar I felt was a little bit cramped in terms of places to sit with a degree of privacy – I didn’t feel comfortable in there so we left quite quickly. The swimming pool was a very good size, with a Jacuzzi and Sauna, however the changing rooms were mixed sex and too small. The main problem being that the changing cubicles doubled up as changing compartments. People were literally queuing to get dressed and some were even getting fully undressed in a mixed changing room - which I felt was a little uncomfortable and should really be looked at for a better solution.

However, my main issue is the accommodation (I was in room 33). Though the rooms look smart from the outside, and the bed and bathroom was comfortable, the walls are like cardboard. Literally I could hear the conversations of the people next door as clear as anything. Generally when I go away, the most important thing is that I can sleep, and with this if the walls are this thin you can only go to sleep when your neighbour chooses to. I don't understand why De Vere don't just pay a little extra in the construction of these accommodation blocks as I feel this cheap construction is completely out of character with the rest of the site. Maybe some rooms are better than others?

Oh, and the staff were very friendly which always is a bonus.

In conclusion I probably wouldn't return unless I could guarantee a room with decent walls, which is a shame as it's a lovely place.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We booked a special deal here for £20 for the nit and arrived at around 1pm, the carpark was busy as there was a wedding on that day and when we went to reception they said that our room was ready till 3pm, we asked if there was somewhere for lunch and they said there were restaurants in the village down the road, I'm in sales myself and it felt weird to suggest we leave the hotel and spend our money somewhere else - so we did and had a wonderful meal in Greens - don't bother with the wine bar they close at 2pm and so unfriendly.

Went back to hotel and checked in, they wanted a credit card for extras but I didn't know the PIN number so they said they couldn't do it - later a more experienced member of staff did this for me, it's not actually that hard. The rooms are in blocks and ours was in the first block near the car park, the room was ok but very hot even with the windows open. We went over to the bar which was quite small and each table taken so ended up sitting outside in foyer, because of the wedding the main restaurant was closed so we ordered room service which was ok. We want to the swimming pool which was in another area and was very nice.

Our room was quite noisy because of the wedding guests walking back and forth and stopping to chat almost right outside our room. There was a bedside table on one side of the bed but nothing on mine so I had to rest my cup of tea on the floor.

A good deal and a lovely area but don't think I would go back

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from car park and walkway to the main manor house
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at De Vere Venues, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review I am sorry that you felt your experience was nothing special as we would hope to strive for better.
I am pleased that you were able to experience our Flash Sale rates at twenty pounds for the room, we believe this is excellent value, including use of our leisure facilities, free wi-fi, free tea and coffee at our energy stations.
Check in time is indeed 3pm, when rooms are available we would offer our guests earlier check ins. We are by nature a venue and very popular for weddings however they very rarely affects our operation for lunch or dinner.
I am sorry if Leita had misunderstood your request for a recommendation, my receptionist’s understanding was that you wanted to go out for lunch, I am pleased you enjoyed Greens in Wickham.
Room 3 is not normally considered a hot room both the radiators in the bathroom and bedroom are fully adjustable from off to high by guests, I am sorry on this occasion you found the room to be too hot.
The restaurant is never closed due to weddings and opens at 7pm, our wedding guests dine and celebrate in the Arden Suite, please may I recommend to that all guests view our web site and open the link on the first page which clearly shows the layout of our Venue. The Arden Suite was purposely built away from the Manor House and especially the bedrooms, I am sorry that if some of the guests returning to their rooms disturbed you, we take every possible precaution to ask our guests to respect other guests’ peace.
I am very sorry that even at £20 a night we did not meet your expectation, and would certainly strive harder if given the opportunity of welcoming you back to New Place.
Mark

Been to De Vere Venues? Share your experiences!