“Beautiful grounds” 4 of 5 stars
Review of De Vere Venues

You added De Vere Venues to your Saves list
De Vere Venues
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   New Place , Shirrell Heath, Shirrell Heath SO32 2JY , England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Beautiful grounds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We enjoyed our stay, as we had wonderful weather and so
made use of the beautiful gardens, and spa.
The rooms are quite basic, but have all you need, apart from
air con.... which would have been good as the room temperature
was too hot, and the windows only open a little. We asked for a fan in the
morning and were given one, which did help.
I had some fresh milk in the room for coffee, which turned in a few hours,
which shows how hot it did get; no fridge either.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at De Vere Venues, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. Please may I suggest before you decide to visit our Venues that you check out our website to see what our Venue has to offer I would hope that this helps with expectation. There are many benefits of visiting New Place including free wifi, free parking, complimentary tea and coffee in our lounges also with access to Imacs and the internet, free use of our leisure centre and tennis courts. We do carry an amount of fridges that can be pre-booked but as a standard the rooms do not have fridges, or air conditioning.
I do hope the positives will encourage you to re-visit New Place and we will be able to welcome you back.
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Spent 2 days here as part of an offsite work meeting, so this review covers the place as a conference centre, food and accom.

Lets start very positive, as a conference facility this is excellent, the staff are attentive and there is all you could nee, they also have no truck with the current trends on healthy eating and keep the calorie count high with excellent pastries and extras throughout the day.

Lunch was top quality a salad bar of most interesting selections augmenting the cooked options, perhaps the chef could have been a little more adventurous on day 1 there was a morrocan lamb mince dish that was excellent and a baked hake offering, day 2 saw minced lamb kofta and hake and pancetta fishcakes......although I could not complain about either.

The low point is the accom. Stayed here a couple of years ago and the rooms were tired then and are no less tired now, don't get me wrong they are well maintained and clean but just missing some of the basics like shower gel/shampoo, bottled water or a fridge, a shower that can find and keep a constant temp, water flow that means you get wet under the shower.

My 2 main things when travelling is give me a firm bed and a decent shower and this place has neither. If you are crashing out after wedding or the like this will be perfectly ok but you wont be suggesting you must rush back for a romantic weekend.

The breakfast is pretty well appointed with all the usual fare done well, perhaps the sausage and black pudding more supermarket than farmers market but well cooked and plentiful.

So it really does depend what you want, the house and grounds are lovely so if you are after the country house wedding venue I am sure this wont disappoint, from all seen from the kitchen and of the staff these wont let you down either but it is just missing that certain something, perhaps its chameleon like existence from corporate conference venue to wedding venue means it isn't quite sure what it is trying to be, it is all perfectly adequate with some bright touches.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Top Traveller Tip please supply room number and date where possible for the Venue to help make future guests fully benefit from your feedback.
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review of De Vere Venues New Place, I am disappointed by your feedback as we would always strive for more than adequate for our guests, and will use your feedback where possible to try to do better.
We offer a full range of snacks and drinks for our conference guests including fresh fruit, water and herbal drinks so there is always a healthy option should guests wish.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the food and have passed your comments to the chef. The Moroccan Beef is an authentic traditional dish created by our Moroccan chef Badr.
I am sorry that you have not supplied the room number as my understanding is there was nothing wrong with the water pressure in any of the showers, but please pass feedback of this nature to a member of the team as we would have done our best to resolve the issue, also all of our bedrooms have complimentary shower gel and soap.

With regard to the mattresses we have instructed Seally to audit all of our bed stock, and we are delighted that we are spending 30k on new stock. Phase one has been completed in blocks one and two, where possible due to guests feedback we have increased the size of beds. Phase two will hopefully be completed this month and phase three in November.
As a Venue our core business is conference meetings, training and weddings of which we will do 122 this year, we are not confused by this but understand a guest expecting a traditional hotel may be surprised, I hope pleasantly by what we have to offer on top of all the usual hotel facilities, and would recommend potential guests to review our website to help manage expectation.
I am pleased that you feel we would not disappoint any of our guests and I do hope that you will visit us again and we will have a great bed and shower experience to offer as well.
I look forward to welcoming you back to New Place.
Truro, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Not a lot else matters really!!! We were there for two nights and on the second night a hovering bug caught up with me in a big way. I had to stay near a loo and in bed the following day, which was the day we should have left. They made no extra charge for me staying in bed for the day while my partner worked, they were very helpful in the dining room finding something I might be able to eat and the reception staff seemed genuinely concerned about me.

Good food, very good service and a wonderful building. We didn't try the spa which was a shame and as we were on the ground floor I did have to keep the blind shut all day as I could be seen in bed. I'd have loved a room with a French window on to the courtyard! It was strange to be shown to an annexe for our room and it felt a bit like student accommodation, but the service and ambience in the main house made up for everything. Hope to return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I hope you are feeling much better. I am pleased that my team were accommodating and sensitive to your needs. I do hope on your next visit you will be able to fully enjoy our facilities, I look forward to welcoming you back.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here a number of times for work. The hotel is fab. Rooms are clean and comfy. I asked to swap rooms to one with a bath which was sorted with no problem. The Greek waiter (I this his name is Socrates) is lovely. Nothing is ever too much and such a friendly face in the morning. The food is lovely and clearly great quality

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your great review I am pleased that Socrates looked after you so well and you found the food to be lovely, we are all very encouraged by your feedback.
I do hope we can welcome you back to New Place.
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

The original hall is a fantastic welcoming site when arriving at this hotel, only disappointing bit is that the hotel rooms aren't in there, however an excellent breakfast restaurant is!
Reception staff and restaurant staff are all very polite and have a strong ethos of excellent customer service.
Check-in was very swift, with good directions to my room (being a large site with several out-buildings this is essential.)
Room was very comfortable and all the basics provided. In addition to this the cleanliness could not be faulted! Absolutely spotless!
One or two simple alterations would make for an excellent review - I cannot stand paper napkins in hotel restaurants; not only is it not ecological but also it completely lowers the class of a venue from a high class hotel restaurant to a cafe one may find the loosing team of The Apprentice in! Also the bedrooms are furnished and decorated to a very high standard and then when you go into the bathroom suddenly the level drops, with a very '70s flip lid plastic bin. But as I said small alterations that would just make this place excel!! For the price, it was truly fantastic.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
mark s, General Manager at De Vere Venues, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review of De Vere venues New Place I am pleased that you found our Venue good value for money. I do hope you will return as a valued guest.
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have to be honest and say I wasn't looking forward to staying at the New Place after reading some of the reviews, but I can honestly say what a lovely hotel. The rooms are not in the main building but a short walk away and the room we had was very clean although a bit dark, but it was very nice. The restaurant was excellent the evening meals where very good, breakfast was good but could be better. We stayed as part of the cruise package and also we had the wine tour. I can recommend the wine tour and wines are good. A taxi was provided to and from the hotel and this was very good. The staff are very helpful and pleasant.

I didn't use the pool but my husband did and he said it was ok.

There where a number of weddings on while we where there but there was no problem with the noise and there are signs up asking guests to be quite at night.

I would also recommend a visit to the local pub which is just round the corner, but at night the road is very dark and difficult to walk back to, but it is worth a visit.

Would I recommend this hotel and would I go back and yes I would. Better than some of the hotels that I have stayed in.

Room Tip: If you are on a cruise with loads of bags ask for a room on the ground floor.
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review of our Venue, we would ask the trip community to review our web site as we are a Venue and the Manor house which is a main feature has our restaurant and bar and only meeting rooms which is stated on our web site and our third party partners web sites.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the trip around Wickham Vineyard we try to support our local wine producer so I am pleased you enjoyed their wines.
Also thank you for your recommendation I look forward to welcoming you back
Totnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Rooms are not in the big beautiful old building photographed but in small modern blocks. Rooms are compact but very clean with modern nicely decorated bathroom and general decor. Tea and coffee facilities, and iron and ironing board and hair dryer provided. Very comfortable.
A small but well equipped gym swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna, and tennis courts.
Easy parking .
Restaurant food was very good but the smallest portions ever ! So, not good value.
All in all, not luxury but a good clean hotel .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at De Vere Venues, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. I am pleased that we ticked most boxes, but would mention that we are a Venue so our main feature The Manor house has no bedrooms but does have our restaurant bar and the rest of the space is meeting rooms which we do advertise. I do hope we can welcome you back to De Vere Venues New Place.
Mark

Been to De Vere Venues? Share your experiences!