“Excellent stay for a special offer price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of De Vere Venues

You added De Vere Venues to your Saves list
De Vere Venues
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   New Place , Shirrell Heath, Shirrell Heath SO32 2JY , England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
Rayne, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay for a special offer price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is the second time at this hotel and it was as good as the first. We had a two night stay on the special vineyard package, which includes bed, breakfast, dinner, a bottle of wine and a vineyard tour. The rooms are small, but modern and clean, fine for a few nights. The restaurant and food are excellent and the choices varied. Most of the staff are young, with a few 'seasoned' hands to guide them and they are all friendly, helpful and gave very good service. A good location to visit the surrounding areas.
I would not pay the full listed rate to stay here, but their special offers are great value.

Room Tip: Try for a lower number room, say between 1 and 25, as the higher number rooms are a two-three minute...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at De Vere Venues, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your excellent review I am pleased that you felt your stay was great value, and that this was your second visit. I do hope we can continue to welcome you back to New Place.
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Liskeard, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Had a meeting at the Venue in Shirrels heath. Arrive and thought I was arriving at a wedding. Lovely building but car parking is hap hazard, cars dumped all over the place and on mud and gravel. Would expect more from De Vere's. Reception staff where helpful and the overall meeting room was of a good quality.

Coffee was good and not just instant.

Food - this is where the issue lies, we had pulled pork that was dry and under seasoned, the rolls where still frozen in places and therefore COLD. Not great could have been checked before serving. If the pulled pork was allowed to stay in bain marie the steam would have kept the meat moist. Pudding was limited and I did not bother. Overall De Vere's Must try harder !!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
UK Sheffield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

A very nice looking building, but most people don't stay in it!

On check in I was told the restaurant was almost full (semi discouragingly) and that the leisure facilities were closed as they were being 'refreshed'. Apart from that check in was pretty painless. Free Wifi and parking is bonus.

My room was adequate. Unfortunately the hot tap didn't work on the bath and there was a cheap clock that I had to take the battery out of to stop its incessant ticking. The bed was comfortable, the TV worked (along with the remote) you would be amazed how many don't.

Now the negatives....The door at the end of the corridor shook the whole building every time anyone went through it, I estimate there were another 6-8 people on my floor from the bangs!

The food wasn't great. A gentlemen next to me in the bar sent his pulled pork back for not being pulled pork. I ordered Caesar salad to be told a few minutes later they were out of the normal salad, I accepted mixed leaves as a replacement. Unfortunately it came as rocket, with olives, peppers and sundried tomatoes, in an oil dressing. I just ate it as I was hungry and clearly the kitchen was struggling. Had it not been an expenses paid visit I would have complained at the time as when you charge £12 for a basic salad it should be right.

I would stay again as its location is good for me, but De Vere really should do better 5/10.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stopped here for one night on our way down to Southampton to go on a cruise. We were thrilled to find a De Vere hotel for £39 (room only) as we had thought we would end up in a Travelodge or similar.
It was easy to find on arrival as it was signposted, however if you are arriving late then make sure you stop at the reception sign and drop off your luggage before trundling off to park as the parking is a little random among the trees (although I would rather it is as it was here than a big expanse of black tarmac) and it can be a walk back to the hotel .
The room was a good size and there was evidence of mold in the bathroom around the shower, however for £39 we weren't worried by this and general cleanliness was OK.
The rooms are rather like a motel in America in that they are in stand alone blocks that are accessed from the outside in a back-to back formation and are not within a large building like we are used to here in the UK but again, this was not a problem to us. Anyone expecting a room in the large hall will more than likely be disappointed though as it was not clear whether there were any rooms in it at all!
Given the short period of time we were at the hotel (arived 9.30pm and left at 9am) we didn't have much opportunity to try any of the hotel's amenities (if there are any) and we didn't see mcuh of the grounds.
For what we wanted, it was ideal.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was a faboulous hotel. The hotel is impressive with the beautiful original panelling and the gorgeous surroundings, but it is the staff at this hotel that make it such a wonderful and relaxing place to stay. The staff were so friendly and attentive, nothing was too much trouble. I had been unable to print off my boarding cards for our flight home and was beginning to panic but the staff were fantastic in helping me out and sorted the matter out for me. Also we didnt know that the boat show or the goodwood revival was on but the staff explained both events and how to get there etc.... can not recommend this hotel with its fantastic staff enough. Can not wait to stay here again.

Room Tip: we booked a twin room which gave us loads of space.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at De Vere Venues, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for fabulous review your comments about the team are so encouraging.
I look forward to welcoming you back to New Place.
Cambridge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Room of only an ok standard, yes as been stated a bit Butlins, barracks, stable block. Bathroom soap and shampoo cheap and unimpressive. TV reception totally unacceptable (all our groups rooms the same problem). Food ok to good, service slow and poor, waited to long for wine in evening and coffee at breakfast despite many requests. What must it be like if they are doing a wedding at the same time?! Will be looking elsewhere next time.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed at New Place for 4 nights in August 2013. We booked the hotel through hotel.com and got a very reasonable rate, as we booked it months in advance. However, when we considered extending our stay, £80 for an extra night was not good value.
The hotel itself is in fantastic grounds with the main house a wonderful centrepiece. We spent a whole morning just enjoying the hotel facilities; having a swim in the pool, enjoying a buffet breakfast and then walking it off in the grounds. The rooms were very good, the only downside being that the walls were quite thin, so we could hear doors closing from nearby rooms quite easily. The staff were very friendly and we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at De Vere Venues, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback on Trip I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay, I do hope we can welcome you back to De Vere Venues New Place in the near future, please look out for our great value “lovin” breaks on our website.
Mark

Been to De Vere Venues? Share your experiences!