“Rooms need an update” 1 of 5 stars
Review of De Vere Venues

You added De Vere Venues to your Saves list
De Vere Venues
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   New Place , Shirrell Heath, Shirrell Heath SO32 2JY , England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newport, United Kingdom
“Rooms need an update”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were invited to a family wedding here and as we were travelling from Wales booked a room for the night. First impressions of the house were stunning, a lovely old manor house which looked fantastic. Checked in and we were staying in one of the rooms which I thing they call the stable block. Well we went to the room, first impressions, not good. The room looked tired and I would suggest needs a make over. It was a very hot day, so opened the outside door and the net curtain immediately fell on the floor. Being an older hotel meant there was no air conditioning so windows had to be opened. Then went to the bar for a drink, now fortunately I don't drink out that often, but if these prices are similar to other such establishments, then I'm really glad I don't drink out very much. I should also point out that one of the chairs in the bar/lounge area, had a broken leg, so they had put a log under the chair to support it.
The wedding room was stunning, very hot, but that was to be expected in such an old house. The ceremony was perfect, however when it came to the speeches later, it would have been nice if the girl who was acting as the master of ceremonies was wearing a suit not just a skirt and blouse, yes it was hot but the guests were all in suits! Also would it be too much to get a gavel, not the back of a spoon?
The evening was held in another part of the Hotel, and the food, I felt was not that special. Some being well over cooked!
The following morning just put the cap on the whole affair. Breakfast was from 7.30, so at 7.30 we arrived at the breakfast room, we were shown to a table, and yes we were the first to arrive, but we had to go find a waitress to get tea, then we had to find, as it turned out, the same waitress to get plates to put food on, and then they fry your eggs for you, but , you guessed, we had to find the same waitress to go find someone to come and cook the eggs. There were no serving spoons laid out so we had to go find those as well.
Overall my experience is not one I would want to repeat. Normally when we stay at hotels we use the IHG group, and again they have some bad ones, but none as bad as this one.
So would I come back - no way
Would I recommend to others - not even my enemies.

Room Tip: There isn't one
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at De Vere Venues, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Traveller
Thank you for your review, I am sorry and disappointed that as a guest at a wedding here your experience on this occasion realised such a negative response.
I am sorry the block of bedrooms you refer to as the stable, and in particular your bedroom 76 did not meet your expectation, I have not had such feedback relating to this room and we do not refer to the block as the stables. May I respectively suggest to guests that the door leading to the court from the bedroom opens inwards, and to draw the nets before opening the door to avoid a repeat of this incidence.
With regard to your comments relating to the wedding and following celebration, I believe from the feedback of the bride and groom and the immediate wedding party that they were very happy with the occasion and running of it, which I hope you will agree is the most important point. I believe therefore it would be inappropriate of me to comment further on your feedback on such.
With regards to your breakfast service I sincerely apologise that as the first guest in we were not fully operational, it is rare to have guest at 7.30 am on a Sunday but fully accept the plates and a chef should have been there to welcome you and cook your eggs, and pleased to note this was quickly remedied. It is never our intention to provoke such a negative response from our guests and I am sincerely sorry on this occasion we have.
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

A lovely overnight stay for my daughters first birthday. Nanny, daddy, mummy, niece of 6 & 2 little monkeys - 2 1/2 & 1 booked independently as part of a 2 night break to Peppa pig land.
The rooms 3.5/5, facilities 4/5, food 4.5/5 & staff 5/5 - the cleaning of rooms needs to be extended to the upside of buildings not just the inside.
A very warm welcome & booking out.
Special mention to the restaurant staff in particular Socrates who made a fuss of us all & he made my daughters first birthday truly special. THANK YOU
Would happily book to go back again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Helenv50
Thank you for your lovely review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with your family and thank you for mentioning Socrates and the part he played in your daughters first birthday , its very encouraging. I do hope we can welcome you back to New Place.
Bordeaux, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed for two nights as part of a wedding party - the wedding was fantastic, with the ceremony in the Court (a little hot with the sun) but a beautiful location, drinks reception on the lawn and meal/evening reception in the Aston Suite. The weather was great, food was fab and beautiful setting made for a lovely day.
Breakfast both mornings was good, with a great choice - and we finally got to sample the inside decor of New Place house itself. We even ate on the terrace one morning thanks to the weather!
Accommodation is in modern (ish) blocks of different sizes- we were in Rm 4 a standard dbl room on the ground floor - it was a bit noisy with people coming and going outside and hearing flushes going at all times, but the room was cool, a good size and great for our needs. People in other blocks did tell us their rooms were hot, even with fans, so we seemed to be lucky!
We used the swimming pool and it was great, clean, a good size and great for a morning wake up.
Beautiful location and great for a wedding. Staff throughout the wedding day were polite and helpful too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Britgirl82
Thank you for your review on our venue I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and especially the wedding that you attended, and pleased to note you enjoyed our breakfast offering.
I do hope we can welcome you back to New Place.
SE Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

It is a bit off the beaten track on the map, but actually quite convenient for the area.
As with many De Vere Venues, it is primarily a conference centre so does good deals when not busy with the corporate brigade.

The Manor House and Gardens.and Grounds are beautiful, and the rooms are in single or two story Motel blocks.

We didn't try the dinner. We knew an Indian restaurant in the nearby village of Wickham [The Veranda - always busy and very good] so ate there. Breakfast was fine and in a lovely room in the main building. We didn't use the pool/gym facilities.

It might be a little short of full hotel facilities, but is much more interesting than, and similarly priced to, the budget hotels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
mark s, General Manager at De Vere Venues, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with the family. I would add that as a De Vere Venue we do offer a lot in comparison to most hotels with free wifi for all, free tea and coffee in our lounges free use of our leisure facilities including our tennis courts, free parking, and the usual bar restaurant facilities, and I am really pleased that you felt it was good value rate.
Here at New Place we believe we are a great base for Southampton, Portsmouth, Winchester and the New Forest and all of our guests are welcome.
We do hope that you will visit us again, and continue to enjoy De Vere Venues.
Stirling, Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Yes, okay, its essentially a conference venue rather than a hotel but crikey since when did that become an excuse for dirty carpets, cracked loos, unclean bathrooms and carpets etc etc. As other reviewers mention, the bedroom blocks are in a barracks formation adjacent to the old house but the need for refurbishment extends to the house too. Good from afar, far from good. Didn't use the leisure facilties so cant comment on those.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
mark s, General Manager at De Vere Venues, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Difficult2please
It is always disappointing to read such poor feedback especially because it is difficult to act positively on your comments, as we can not verify your stay, or relate your comments to a room or a particular part of the venue. I am sorry that we let you down on this occasion and you did not find anything positive to pass on to the Trip community but may I add where timely constructive feedback is given we do act where possible to ensure total guest satisfaction or use Trip feedback to ensure a better experience for our future guests.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Six of us stayed here July 9th. I had a double room to myself, my sister and husband had another double and my nephews a single room each, and it was excellent value for money. We had booked several weeks in advance and was very glad we had. There were a large number of conferences, meetings etc, going on all around us, but all the staff treated our family unit like honoured guests. Nothing was too much trouble. Every single person was helpful and kind. We sat on the terrace whilst having evening drinks on a hot summer's night and it was perfection. The breakfast menu was everything you could ask for. The resturant was delightful and I would most certainly stay again. Every member of the family enjoyed their stay. My sister was especially pleased with the tea/coffee room, as coming from Canada she missed her coffee! A huge thanks to all the staff. We tried to say thanks before we left, but to those off duty thanks again.

Room Tip: I would certainly choose a double room, even as a single person.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
mark s, General Manager at De Vere Venues, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Christine S
Thank you for your very first feedback on Trip and I am pleased it’s brilliant, especially regarding the welcome given by my team to you and your familiy. I do hope we can welcome you all back to New Place.
Sleaford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This place still represents fantastic value for money, but I made the mistake of skimping and booking a single room. Whilst you'll often end up in a double, here (probably because it is a conference venue), they actually have rooms with single beds. Nothing wrong with the bed, but I find it hard to sleep in them.

The heat didn't help, but that was because it was very warm weather, which DeVere can hardly be blamed for.

Food was as good as my previous stays, and all the staff were exceptionally professional and helpful. I've stayed several times, and never seen a member of staff without a smile, which isn't something you can say about many places!

Still very much recommended, just make sure you specify a double for single use if you have the same problems sleeping as me!

Room Tip: Get a double
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mick D

Thank you for your great and informative feedback, I appreciate your comments on my team and hope to welcome you back to New Place soon.
Mark

Been to De Vere Venues? Share your experiences!