“Fab wedding venue and lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of De Vere Venues

Save Saved
You added De Vere Venues to your Saves list
De Vere Venues
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   New Place , Shirrell Heath, Shirrell Heath SO32 2JY , England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Shirrell Heath
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fab wedding venue and lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed here for a family wedding and overall we were really impressed - it is a lovely setting - a shame we didn't get here for 2 nights to enjoy the grounds and facilities. It is very well set up for weddings and the food was lovely - the staff were very friendly and helpful and our room was lovely and very comfortable. And all at a very reaonsable price. I'd love to come back for a weekend away and use the pool etc.
The only small niggles - they could do maybe do more for wedding guests arriving on the day - somewhere to change etc given that you can't check into rooms till mid afternoon. The coffee at breakfast was very weak. But thats it - and I'm quite fussy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at De Vere Venues, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great feedback, I am very pleased you enjoyed the wedding and would like to return, this is high praise indeed. We do have some great offers for Autumn Lovin breaks available on our website, we would love to welcome you back.
Hopefully you could explore our Venue and enjoy our complementary coffee lounges where you can add extra shots of coffee for that extra zing in the morning!

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to De Vere Venues New Place.

653 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed here the night before our cruise and I can not praise the hotel enough. The service was outstanding, the food in the restaurant superb and our room immaculate. Great place to stay and I would imagine if you had children the facilities would be super. Well done to all the staff at the hotel for making our stay so good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review, and taking the time to share your feedback. I am very pleased you enjoyed our food and our service was outstanding.

I hope you had a great cruise out of Southampton and I hope you will visit us again soon at De Vere Venues New Place.

Kinmel Bay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

stayed here for 3 nights in sept 2012 read some bad reviews but found it to be a really nice hotel all staff were pleasent had the buffet breakfast twice very good went swimming. again very good
check in and out easy. rooms clean a very enjoyable stay

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed your three night stay with us and enjoyed our facilities. I am pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to De Vere Venues New Place.

Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My family and I stayed at New Place on 25-26th Aug whilst attending a family wedding. We all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, beautiful place the staff couldn't do enough for you. The food was delicious everything was first class.

It was a shame I didn't get to enjoy the swimming pool etc, but couldn't drag myself away from the champagne on the terrace overlooking the croquet lawn!!!!!

The weekend was fabulous including the weather, absolutely top notch, well done

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
mark s, General Manager at De Vere Venues, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear guest
Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased that you had such a lovely stay at New Place, whilst attending a wedding.
Thank you for the praise especially for the staff it is most encouraging for our team. Please look out for our Autumn lovin offers as we would love to welcome you back, so you can enjoy all the facilities we have to offer, at De Vere Venues New Place.

Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights, in a nice room, it was very airy which was just as well as it was very hot during our stay.

The room had twin beds, which we wanted as all their double bedded rooms are just standard size, a nice wardrobe with just 3 hangers in it, just as well I had bought some with me!!!! The bathroom was lovely, with a shower over the bath, and a shower screen, so the floor didn't get wet when we showered, the lighting was a little poor.

The rooms are away from the restaurant so was fine while we were there to walk to it, but when it's raining or very cold might not be to much fun!!!

They charge £10.50 for breakfast, which we think was a little to much and dinner was £27.50 for 3 courses.

We ate in a pub about a 5 minute drive away called Hunters Inn (see my review)

If in the area again we would stay, but we noticed that if you go up stairs they have pots of porridge that you add hot water to, muffins, orange juice and as much tea and coffee as you want, just to help yourself to, so we would not include breakfast

Room Tip: I think we were in room 87 which was nice and quite, it's a corner room all by itself
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at De Vere Venues New Place.
As a venue we do offer free tea and coffee for all of our guests and snacks for our conference guests as part of their offering. Our full English breakfast buffet can be purchase on line in advance at only £9, which allows full choice of our bakery, cereal and porridge, fruit, cheese and meats, and cooked section. I do hope that this would be of interest to you for your next visit to De Vere Venues.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Truro, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed here twice in February 2012. The rooms are very nice, clean and modern. The bar in the main house was fantastic and quite palatial! We didn’t get there early enough to try out the pool and didn’t have breakfast there so I can’t comment on the food.

The location is good and there’s ample parking.

On our first stay there, there was obviously a conference or training event on and unfortunately the people in the room next to us decided to have a party!

They were noisy to say the least! I waited until 11.45pm before phoning reception and speaking to a very nice night porter who said he would have a word with them for me. I heard their phone go next door and they quietened down for about 5 minutes. They then phoned us! I answered the phone, heard them all giggling in the background and then they hung up. Then the party resumed! I gave it another hour or so before phoning the night porter again, (we had to be up at 6am and had a 4.5 hour drive ahead so sleep would have been nice!). The night porter said he would have a word with their (the conference goers next door) team leader. He obviously did as within 5 minutes a very irate man hammered on their door and ran them the riot act. They did eventually finish their party at around 3am!

The staff at the hotel were brilliant and I can’t fault them at all. The hotel was lovely. But I feel it is predominantly a conference/training facility - as I believe they do mention on their website - so anyone expecting a romantic getaway or family retreat should just bare that in mind when booking. The price I feel was a bit steep for the size of the room and the fact that it is more a conference facility than chic hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at De Vere Venues, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. We appreciate your open and honest feedback on your experience of De Vere Venues New Place. I apologise for the disturbance that you encountered, I hope this has not discouraged you from returning in the near or distant future

Thank you for the positive comments about the staff, rooms and the bar in the main house.

Regards

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

we stayed here as we were attending a wedding and reception at the new place, we received a discounted B&B rate because of this so it was good value, im not sure if i would pay the usual rate but you can get deals online so would stay again if i had one of those.
the grounds of the hotel are amazing and lots of the rooms are converted stable blocks and out building so are very interesting but the rooms are quite compact because of this. being compact doesn't mean the rooms didn't have a great feel about them they are decorated to a high slandered and have all the mod cons! the bathroom was lovely and clean and had a great big walk in shower, sink and toilet and a nice heated towel rail, the towels were plentiful and clean and fluffy.
the bed was big and comfy and had plenty of pillows, the mattress was a bit to soft for our liking but was OK for the night.
the TV was a nice size and had all the channels you could want including sky sports (hubby liked this) there was a desk and tea and coffee making stuff which was of a good quality. we spent most of our time out of the room at the wedding but the room was just what we needed for a one night stop, i could probably stay here for 3 nights max as it would get a bit cramped for a longer stay.
the breakfast was really great just what we needed after a few drinks the night before, they had everything you could ask for from a breakfast, and the quality was great.
it was a shame we didn't have time to use the spa facility's that were included so i cant comment on them.
the service from reception was great on the day and on the phone before hand. (the only issue was the door key for the room!! unlike most hotel keys where you get a handy fit in your purse credit card size key we had a proper door key with a massive keyring door number on it, not handy when going to a wedding and you have a dress with no pockets and a tiny clutch bag!!) im only mentioning this so others aren't caught out!
all in all i would recommend for a romantic weekend away or if you going to a wedding stay over its great :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed you stay and you would recommend us for romantic weekends or a wedding stay over. Thank you for your positive feedback about the rooms and breakfast .

I do hope to see you at New Place again soon.

Regards

Mark

Been to De Vere Venues? Share your experiences!