“Can be a variable experience - Lovely setting & Location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Cardington
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Sensitively restored and brimming with countryside charm, The Kings Arms - Bedford offers British pub hospitality. Mixing classic recipes and modern dishes, the menu is dictated by the seasons, with daily-changing specials also on offer. The bar is amply stocked with fine wines and smooth cask ales, and chunky wood furnishings and quirky décor make for a homely, relaxed ambience in the dining room. A menu just for kids offers fun yet nutritious choice for younger diners.
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Can be a variable experience - Lovely setting & Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is a really tough one to review can be a 5 star experience but can be 2 star. Very inconsistent. The food is generally good pub food a little pricey but pretty good. The Service is always friendly but sometimes can be painfully slow. I have been in at least 3 times when they had taken half the menu off or shut the kitchen early due to staffing issues. Food quality if reasonably good, but not amazing. The Sharing platters are great on a sunny afternoon in the garden with friends. Value is only average from the main Menu but they do deal nights that look to be good value. Overall its hit and Miss as to if its a good day it would appear, worth a visit for a summer evening but if its a special occasion can be great if your lucky, but I would not bank on it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Bedford
“Always leave feeling a bit disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Another trip to the pub for a Friday sit in the sun with friends.

They have peroni on tap which is lovely ..

Ordered a few drinks.. All the pints were a little low.. But it was hot and thirst called. But please, fill to the top of the glass.

Food ordered and we sat outside.

The food has always been mediocre but this time it was poor, but at a premium price.

Burnt burgers, overcooked chicken. Yes you can complain but when it takes 40 mins to get your food self preservation takes over.
Not wanting to slate the place but they do need to try harder to keep their customers.

Its a beautiful pub and i really want to like the place.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Monmouth
“Good value, good food, good atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Our family took us here when we were over on a visit and we're so glad they did. It was Saturday night and the pub was pleasantly busy. Staff were welcoming and we were soon armed with drinks and menus. Service was good, not too fast and not too slow. The food is enjoyable, between us we sampled steaks, pies and a couple of fish dishes. It was difficult to make a choice because there was a good range of appetising dishes and vegetarians were well catered for too.
So in brief, this is a good value eatery, with a pleasant ambience serving good food. As the other e views say, there are other more expensive pubs in the area, many of them very good, but one does not always want to spend a fortune. You will not be compromised on taste or value by visiting the King Arms.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hemel Hempstead
“Worth a 45 minute journey to get there”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband asked me where I would like to go to eat on my birthday and straight away I said The King's Arms. We have been before and it was lovely. It wasn't too busy so we got a table straight away. I has the deep fried cammembert which to be honest needed a little longer to make it gooey, but still gorgeous with apricot jam. My husband had a pork belly starter which he has before and again it was delicious. We both had steaks. Mine was a fillet and his a ribeye. I debated whether to have it cooked medium or med rare and went for medium as a fillet is really thick. However, I Should Have had it med rare as it was a little over done but still tasted really good. My husband's ribeye was overdone too but he did say it was really flavoursome although a little med well rather than med rare. Dessert was amazing, best treacle tart I've had in à long time and the husband said the crumble was good too. We will still go back again even with the few negative comments cause we still really rate this venue. Looking forward to having the Sunday roast next time.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Eat Here!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We arrived late for out table (not good...) but the staff had saved our table and were more than happy with us being a bit tardy! I decided to try the wine tasting offer, three small glasses of red or white ( I had both!) giving you the option to decide what kind of tastes you like. It was amazing!

Our waitress Ann was very attentive without being intrusive and was very knowledgable about the specials on offer. The food here is divine, it melts in your mouth and I even felt brave enough to try a couple of sea food options I never had before, I didn't even know I liked Sea Bass! It was soft, cooked to perfection and accompanied by the wine made my taste buds tingle.

For pudding we opted for the small selection, a taster of their main puddings, this for me was Heaven, I love my puddings and these did not disappoint. Overall, we ate and drank our fill and it wasn't that expensive. The atmosphere here is glorious and the decor simply adds to the experience. Thoroughly recommended, a gem.

• Visited April 2013