“Great service - renovations are underway” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Viamede Resort

Save Saved
You added Viamede Resort to your Saves list
Viamede Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   595 Mt Julian Viamede Rd | Woodview, North Kawartha, Ontario K0L 3E0, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in North Kawartha
Ottawa
“Great service - renovations are underway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

We rented a cottage at this resort for a long weekend after choosing it on the internet. Great location, great service, lots of amenities and great food (breakfast - which was more like a brunch - included). Renovations are underway for the cottages. Unfortunately, we were not assigned one of them - however, after a meeting with the new owner - who was very understanding and accommodating - we received a partial compensation. This place has great potential - once all renovations are undertaken.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Newmarket, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

We held our 40th Wedding Anniversary Dinner Party at Viamede recently and the total experience was PERFECT ! From the meal planning to cost estimates the staff at Viamede was very professional and helpful . We will be back to visit for sure !
Bob and Deborah Seto

Room Tip: not applicable
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Bitez, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a well earned getaway at Viamede, and everything was simply superb! Stunning scenery at every turn, delicious food, helpful and friendly staff and very comfortable rooms. Simply put, we had a fantastic time and will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Oshawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Very expensive nightly stay which included breakfast - $285. Our room didn't look like the photos on the web site. The property needs some TLC. Our deck was made out of pressboard, that wasn't stained. Outside handrails needed painting, and our washroom could use updating. The pool looked like it could use vacuuming... Missing vinyl siding on the peak of the main building... Ate at the Inn at Viamede, nice menu, expensive and hand written bill...Would probably stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Hi Soccermom,

Thank you very much for your comments about the Inn at Mount Julian, and about Viamede in general.

As you may have heard, Viamede changed ownership in the winter, and we have been working rather efficiently to improve what we can. Unfortunately, this means prioritizing, and not everything can get done in the first year (or even two).

As guest comments come in, we are writing the list of priorities for this coming winter, and your comments will factor into this. Hopefully, by next year, we will be in far better shape.

Please call me anytime to discuss your concerns, and hopefully we will see you soon!

Thank you again for your comments.

Ben
Markham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

The fabulous vista of the pristine waters of Stoney Lake should make Viamede Resort the perfect summer getaway location.

With new Management and the promise of major improvements, my family and I decided to return for a week's vacation after taking a break for a few years due to numerous complaints in the past. Unfortunately, very little has changed, except the prices for everything which have increased excessively.

Our complaints about the accommodations are too extensive to mention, suffice it to say they are "rustic" and in need of major renovations. Luckily none of us are afraid of rodents since we had a regular visit by a mouse in the living room, which no one seemed interested in when we reported him.

My main concern was the lack of follow-up on issues that were brought to the attention of the front desk.

When my 80 year old mother left me a message at work, I returned her call and made it very clear to the front desk that they inform her that I called . She never received my message. And like so many other reviews I'd read about this resort, we experienced the same poor service in the Boathouse restaurant when several common items were not available.....wedding or not, that's just poor planning.

The final straw was when my sister and I, on 4 occasions, enquired whether there was any accommodation available to extend our 6 day vacation into the upcoming long weekend. Each person gave us conflicting information and their lack of interest and abruptness convinced us that not only did this resort not Want our business, they didn't Deserve it! There is a huge disconnect in their management and abilities to relate to customers.

Viamede Resort has a history, charm and beauty that is unmatched in the Kawartha's and I hope it flourishes. My family and I, however will NOT be returning to witness if that happens.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

This Place used to be a sanctuary on stoney lake. Now, not so much. And sadly, this is mainly due to the fact that prices have skyrocketed due to new management taking over. Nothing has changed here but somehow they justify doubling prices for everything. For this simple fact I could not recommend or return to this place.
Another thing that irked me greatly was the fact that I was going to rent a sea-doo at around 4 p.m. I was told they are taken for the next hour so I cant use them. Surely enough I return at 5 pm, and no one has even touched them and I am told the same thing " they are taken for the next hour". Like an idiot I sit there and wait until finally the people who booked them started using them at around 7 and finished at 8 so alas I could not cruise around Stoney, one of the few things I was looking forward to. This left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011 via mobile

As of summer 2011 the prices have increased 100%-150%  and other than better rooms i see nothing else of value to support these outrageous increases in prices. My family has  been visiting Viamede in the Kawarthas every year for the past 5 seasons. There have even been cut backs to staff as there is no more daily pool volly ball or community fire pits (former Viamede long standing traditions). The rooms have improved ( quite nice now) but the cost of absolutely everything has doubled (or more) for no apparent reason. As far as service goes it is now very inconsistent in many areas for example, they have free towels at the pool but some days they update the towels every few hours and other days they have no towels all day long. There are many other examples of this inconsistancy but i won't bore you. I would suggest that consistency is key at any good resort and in this Viamede currently fails. Oh yea, no more ice cream for sale on premises either!

For boaters ( another Viamede tradition) most seemed to be of the very same opinion, double the price and no improvements at all. Most boaters seemed very disappointed indeed.

Given the current situation Viamede was not surprisingly empty of patrons as I have never seen this resort so dead. This is unfortunate as it has a great location. The new owner Ben Salmonn has allot to learn indeed. I would suggest that repairing and updating all at once ( off season) could have definetly supported the current pricing increase but piece by piece, step by step does not. The old Viamede was run down but the pricing reflected this accordingly, the new Viamede is still run down but prices have unjustifiably increased dramatically. If improvements and repairs came before the 100% -150% increase in prices then this review would have been much kinder.

Not sure if we will be going back.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Viamede Resort? Share your experiences!