“Very good and great view.” 5 of 5 stars

Thon Hotel Kirkenes
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Johan Knudtzens gate 11, Kirkenes 9900, Norway   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kirkenes
Mexico City
“Very good and great view.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

The room with view to the ocean is great. Decoration and cleanliness are very good. Hotel is modern. No body lotion as in the rest of the norwegians hotels we stayed in. Free wifi. Excellent breakfast. Good free coffee all day long. The terrace is great. As we had a beautiful summer day, lots of people were enjoying the terrace.
Dinner at the restaurant was good. Service slow but nice.
The shuttle to the airport stops at the hotel which is very convenient.
walking distance to the city center. There is no much to see but it is worth visiting the World War II underground refuge.
If you want to save on food, you can walk two blocks and buy hot dogs for 25 krons.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Ruben R, Hotel Manager at Thon Hotel Kirkenes, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
My dear guest viajeramx1,

Thank you for your feedback. Many travelers will appreicate your accurate information. Welcome back to Kirkenes and Thon Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I think that this is one of the top hotel chains in Norway. Although we arrived over 2 hours late (see posting SAS and Oslo airport), they set out a snack of soup and fresh bread for all the late arrivals. The soup was the best; thick and tasty and the fresh bread. Wow!
Breakfast was also a wonderful experience, along the lines of all Norwegian hotels, but 4 star. I would stay here again and not be afraid to stay at any of their hotels in Norway.

This is the first hotel where we experienced the following: the lights won't work unless you insert your card key(Room Key) into a slot by the door. I imagine that this is to eliminate the possibility of guests leaving the lights on when they leave the room. I think that I read that electricity has gotten expensive in Norway.

Room Tip: We arrived late Friday night, had a snack, went for a walk and collapsed into bed. Slept well, no n...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Undersigned and all my staff at the Thon Hotel Kirkenes would like to thank you for your feedback. Pleased that the hotel lived up to your expectations. Our solution with the room key is one of our initiatives with focus on the environment. Hope to see you again in Kirkenes.

With best regards Ruben – Hotel Manager
Brecon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Very relaxing and welcoming. Staff helpful.
food good and a variety on offer. Rooms very good with plenty of room.
breakfast very good with a good variety.
Staff English speaking and helpful with special diets.

Room Tip: Overlooking the water
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest from Brecon,

Thank you so much for your review, and you highly recommendation. Hope that you will visit us next time you are in Kirkenes. Best Regards Ruben, Hotel Manager
Stavanger, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I arrived at Thon Kirkenes Hotel with my family, first impression was set by the receptionist Daniel [--]at the front desk. First glance I was fine with how he dealt with us and did not mind as we arrived at the hotel at 12:20+\- and Check in time was only at 15:00 ( Something he made quite clear while pointing to the sign behind him.) My brother in law advised him that he got confirmation of sea facing rooms and they were discussing this while I went back to my luggage, the view did not really bother me and I was just quite happy to get a room with a double bed. An e-mail was even shown to him that sea facing rooms was confirmed to my brother in law but I did not follow or listen in on that conversation. We went into town to meet with my brother in laws brother. We had lunch in town and I wanted to return back to the hotel and Check in. Came to the hotel by myself and I checked in with another very polite, nice and friendly guy by the Alexander and he helped me and then I advised him that I will need a double bed, he read on the screen that we requested sea facing and that he did not have any with a double bed available but they can move the twins together to make it a double. I was very please at him being so accommodating even if I did not Ask for it. I was about to answer when the receptionist that helped us earlier, Daniel came out and said something to the receptionist who is helping me in Norwegian. Next minute he turns to me and says we do not have anymore sea facing rooms and we (they) should give it to people who is paying Kr. 2000 per night. I must be honest, this a hotel????? More low rent and insulting behaviour have I not experienced in my entire life. Very unprofessional, rude and he should not work in Hotels. If this is what Thon is about, people do not waste your money even if you are not paying for an upscale room.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Ruben R, Hotel Manager at Thon Hotel Kirkenes, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
My dear guest Randall, from Stavanger.
We who daily work in tourism and hotel industry appreciates good -and bad feedback. Yours is the last category, and this I fully appreciate. I apology the experience regards our service who not impressed. I really hope you`re testing us again, because I know we are better than 2 out of 5. I hope I`ll meet you as my guest again soon. With best regards from Ruben - Hotel Manager
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Great location right on the water - very modern and clean rooms. Great breakfast (one of the best I've had) and dinner was fantastic. Would recommend this for holiday makers and tourists to Kirkenes. Highly recommended if your at the top of the world.

Room Tip: Sea front view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jeff,

Thank you for a great review! Our staff really appreciate feedback like this. Hope to see you on another occasion.

Best Regards Ruben - Hotel Manager
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Having stayed in several hotels on Noway's arctic coast, this is definitely one of the best ones. The rooms are perfectly clean and in top conditions, though a bit small. But you shouldn't spend too much time in your room anyway. Food is very good (especially the salmon, of course). The prices are typical Norwegian, but not exaggerated. The curtains have a good quality and darken the room well during the endless days in summer, so you can always have a good sleep. Staff is also very kind and helpful. The hotel has a tour operator's desk inside which allows you to book your tours easily.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with ThonHotels.no

Ruben R, Hotel Manager at Thon Hotel Kirkenes, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear guest EndlessTraveller100,

Thank you for your kind feedback! Our goal is to be top 25 hotel on tripadvisor in Norway and we met your expectations, we appreciate it. The salmon is also my favorite, it is delivered by our local supplier Villa Artic. We want to offer our guests a menu with local food.

The tourist information desk will be open until the end of august, It Is a collaboration with local authority. Hopefully we can continue the partnership next year. We know our guest appreciate it.

Welcome back! Best Regards Ruben - Hotel Manager
Vadso, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Me and my wife stayed 2 nights in the weekend. We have stayed at the hotel several times. Nice rooms. The hotel has great location at waterfront, but near city centre. Breakfast is also good. Nice staff and service at the hotel.

Room Tip: 3 or 4 floor on front or sides
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Alfen,
Thank you for a fantastic review and your numerous stay with us at the Thon Hotel Kirkenes.
Welcome back!

Best Regards -Ruben - Hotel Manager

Been to Thon Hotel Kirkenes? Share your experiences!