It all looks very promising upon first impressions, the usual high Hilton standards that you have the right to expect from the brand, however look closely and it's not that great a place.
With the exception of a couple of waiters in the restaurant, the staff are cold, unwelcoming, and above all unhelpful. We were awoken on the 2nd morning at 7.30AM by the sound of chainsaws right underneath our balcony (gardeners trimming trees), having previously been awoken at midnight by the garbage men emptying bins. I enquired at reception whether this was normal and likely to be repeated the 3rd night. "I don't know" said the good man. Can you find out? No I can't, he said. He offered to move us to another room. I said no point moving for 1 night if the noise isn't repeated tomorrow. I don't know if it will be and I cannot find out was the answer. So we moved. Exactly the same type of room but looking at the deserted pool area rather than the golf course. Reception tried to sell this as an "upgrade" to us, presumably because of the different view. Right....of course it is.
It bills itself as a spa hotel but even to set foot inside as a hotel guest is a chargeable experience, even just to use the pool. The lady in the spa made no efforts to welcome us, explain anything, offer anything such as towels or directions, just informed us that if we chose to use the spa: "I will decide how much I will charge you". Lovely attitude. So we walked out and never used the spa. If you're a paying hotel guest, anythign other than actual treatments ought to be free to use and you should be made to feel welcome.
One of the 2 restaurants was closed and since 90% of the Algarve seemed to be closed as well (this was pre-Christmas) we were forced to eat 3 nights in a row in the other hotel restaurant. This wasn't a huge negative as the staff were reasonably friendly by the usual rude Portuguese standards and the food was fine. On the 2nd night, the staff Xmas party was happening downstairs as we were eating and the waiters seemed to regard having to serve us as an imposition that kept them away from joining the party below. They popped out every few minutes to check on the party proceedings.
The hotel was practically empty the 3 nights we stayed. Rather than offer us a true upgrade into a nicer room for the noise disturbance (easily done with a sub-10% occupancy rate), management seemd more interested in pushing their timeshare apartments via flyers under the door and displays in the common areas.
This was our first experience of the Algarve and we left distinctly underwhelmed.
Hilton needs to review staff attitudes in this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Treat yourself to a fabulous spa weekend, enjoy a fun-filled family holiday, or experience the perfect golfing break at the award-winning Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, one of the leading family-friendly Algarve hotels. This attractive, modern Algarve hotel is situated in five acres of glorious manicured gardens in the heart of the sun-kissed Algarve, Portugal. Set amid the lush greenery of some of Portugal’s finest golf courses, the Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa is replete with distinctive Moorish architecture, spectacular covered and outdoor pools and glorious cascading waterways. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Hilton EMEA, Priceline, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort And Spa
- Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Hotel Vilamoura
- Hilton International Vilamoura
- Vilamoura Hilton
- Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa Portugal - Algarve