“4 1/2 out of 5. let down a smidgen by some of their staff” 4 of 5 stars

Pestana Vila Sol Golf & Resort Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Morgadinhos, Vilamoura 8125-307, Portugal   |
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
belfast
“4 1/2 out of 5. let down a smidgen by some of their staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

returned last week from a 10 day break here with my husband and 2 children aged 10 and 2. had a fantastic holiday. the hotel is in a lovely setting and the grounds are spacious . lots of room for the kids to run around. the hotel is a little isolated- although a free mini bus runs from the hotel to villamoura and back 3 times a day. most of the staff were very kind- especially to my 2 year old who ran about like a mad woman, wanting to get up and dance and sing every evening with the entertainment.
i found joao particularly helpful, and the manager regularly talked to the guests to see if there was anything that could be improved upon. my only problem was with the pool bar staff who i found to be very rude and unhelpful. i went back to it only once to test whether i had been unduly harsh in my first encounter with them. i hadn't. the pool bar staff are hopeless.
we used the lovely indoor pool every day as it was quiet, and afforded cover from the sun. the kids club was great- it is for 4-12 year olds. they had no difficulty with me bringing our youngest every day for an hour or two so long as i stayed with her- and she really enjoyed playing with buckets of water, dancing and colouring in.
the boys in the family used the driving range several times, and really enjoyed it.
we found the food to be great - great selection , fresh and well cooked.
there is a games room and a couple of pool tables. this is a great hotel for people with young children and older couples seeking to relax. teenagers might find it a little too quiet for them.
there was entertainment every night- the kids loved the animal show.
we ate in vilamoura only one evening- in a little restaurant hidden in a square off the main marina area called A Broa. it was a family run restaurant- very friendly and great food. my husband devoured the suckling pig, and i chose the chicken and chorizo kebab. very tasty. my 2 year old refused to eat anything that evening , largely due to the heat, and i asked the waitress could she have some fresh bread instead. the staff ran out to the local bakery and came back with a selection of fresh bread / rolls in a little warming bag. great service.
we went to zoomarine again for the 3rd time. cant beat it- it's a great day out for the family.

Room Tip: garden suites are great if you are travelling with children
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
JRNeves, Manager at Pestana Vila Sol Golf & Resort Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2014
Dear Vila Sol Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at Pestana Vila Sol.

I am very happy to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay was and that you were pleased with our service and facilities.

Thank you so much for your constructive comments and review, which I shared with my team, to develop our guest service and response.

We look forward to welcome you again, hopefully soon, at Pestana Vila Sol Gol & Resort Hotel.

Best regards,

Unit Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Wirral, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Save your hard earned money and a lot of hassle by avoiding this place. It is a health and safety nightmare, cracked and uneven flagstones caused me to slice off the top of my toe. When I tried the report the accident I got the usual shrugged shoulders from staff (we also got this reaction when we reported a fire in one of the bins). There are so many potential accidents waiting to happen here.

The reception staff completely messed up our airport transfer which resulted in us being harassed for extra money by 3 men at the airport which was extremely upsetting and distressing for me and my two infants.

This hotel is not a 5 star resort, it is filthy. It is littered with cigarette butts from the pool to the eating areas. I reported a tray of rotting food and dirty nappies by the pool and asked for it to be moved, it was still there 4 days later when we checked out.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
JRNeves, Manager at Pestana Vila Sol Golf & Resort Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear "Lindsay P",

Thank you for your for Pestana Vila Sol Golf & Resort Hotel for your recent stay in beautiful Vilamoura, and for your important overview of our service and hospitality. We all Vila Sol would like to thank you for your feedback and apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay, all the staff are strongly committed to providing great level in terms of quality of products and services and will work to correct less than positive experience delivered.

I really hope that we can have the chance to welcome you back in a near future, and to regain your confidence.

Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful week staying at the Pestana Villa Sol. The staff are fantastic, so polite and professional. We stayed in one of then garden rooms which was lovely; very spacious and well appointed including a hair dryer which I needn't have packed! The garden rooms are basically small villas/rooms all on one storey set around the very spacious and well maintained garden grounds. We had a nice balcony looking out on a lovely pond.

There are two outdoor pool areas, one shallow for small children and also an indoor pool. There are tennis courts and a good gym, and also a spa in addition to the 27 hole golf course. And they also had a kids' club. In fact the whole place was very child friendly I would say. You could get free wi-fi access in the public areas of the hotel.

Only down-side for us was that it was so far from the marina where all the nice restaurants are and there was no view of the sea. The hotel did run a couple of shuttles a day to the beach and/or the Marina but the last one was at 5.30 and occasionally they put on an extra one at 6 but they were full on a couple of occasions we tried to book. So that meant a taxi at 8-10 euros each way on top of the cost of your meal so you will need to factor that in. The taxi ride was a good 10-15 minutes and we were advised not trying to walk and to be honest we would probably have got lost as it is pretty residential all around.

We were on bed and breakfast and the choice of food was terrific. We didn't ever go to the evening buffets but ate a few times in the golf clubhouse and the food and ambiance there, and the service, was really nice. In town everybody heads for the Marina which is worth seeing but in the streets behind the Marina there are lots of fantastic, much cheaper, restaurants available and lots of authentic Portuguese ones. The best we went to was Julius which is on a square behind the Irish pub on huge street where the taxi rank is and would thoroughly recommend it.

All in all a great relaxing week in an up-market hotel in a quiet area, right on a golf course (you get a discount on green fees if you book at hotel reception) on the edge of Vilamoura. We would go back and have recommended the hotel puts on a few more shuttles into town.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Vila Sol Guest

Thank you so much for choosing Pestana Vila Sol for your visit to Vilamoura, and for your great review about our hotel.

We are more than happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and our facilities and services met your expectations. Pestana Vila Sol is well known for its quietness, comfort and relaxing atmosphere, although providing plenty of activities, daily programs featuring theme buffets with live entertainement and a kids club, trying to please the whole family!

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, and I do look forward to welcome you in a near future.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Great hotel with perfect conditions - great for golfers... And best beaches near by.
Super service at the hotel...!!! The hotel prepared a fantastic BBQ for me and the family at our house - great food and the attention and preparation brilliant...

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with GeoStar

Dear Vila Sol Guest,

Thank you so much for your great review about your experience with us.

It is really gratifying to see how enjoyable your stay was and that you were pleased with our staff and service they deliver. I will make sure to share it with our team.I am also happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in Vilamoura, and I hope to welcome you back in a near future.

Warm Regards,

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

My husband, three boys and I, visited the Pestana Vila Sol for a week at the beginning of August. This was different to the usual type of holiday we go on as we wanted a 'traditional' family break doing nothing much other than staying poolside and wandering around the local towns.

I have to say at this point, our expectations were somewhat lower than usual, as, the price we paid for the week away was considerably cheaper than other comparable destinations at this time of year and the fact that our relatively small budget allowed us two rooms on a B&B rate in a 5 star property was surprising.

This was our first time to Portugal and I must confess, I had not done much research into the area of Vilamoura. During our short taxi ride from the airport to the hotel I was surprised at how little there was in the way of general conveniences such as local mini markets and restaurants. In particular, the location of our hotel was a taxi journey away from any such amenities- the nearest area being the Marina, a 10 min ride by car. I understand now having been there, that this area is a haven for golfers and so it really was geared up to that market more than families.

The hotel had lovely grounds and the overall exterior of the hotel was pleasant. The reception 'lobby' area is very large and the sofas are often taken by people with laptops as this is the only place one could get wifi- not terribly impressive seeing as we are in 2014. If you wanted to make use of the free in-room internet connection, you would have needed to have packed a cable to plug in the wall. The rooms were clean and the bathrooms almost disproportionately large- but nice. The balconies were fabulous and even in the top hotels, you don't often get a balcony large enough to fit two sun beds plus table and chairs. The views over the golf course and greenery were lovely.

The pool area was nice, however freezing cold. Too cold even for our kids and that's saying something! The pool bar only opened from 11am which was a little late in our opinion as many guests would be out there from 9am and could do with at least a soft drink. The pool bar served basic food- pizza, chips, pasta, sandwiches - all of which we enjoyed of a lunchtime. The food at the restaurant 'Pines' however, was another story...

The main restaurant serves breakfast and dinner, both in a buffet style format. We found many (not all) of the staff to be inattentive even when first thing in the morning and only a couple more covers were in the restaurant. To the point that my husband had to take our finished plates over to them and get a coffee jug as they failed to bring us one when we ordered. The breakfast is below average. The hash-browns were in edible, the bacon unpleasant, the eggs... Well, I'm not really sure as it took the 'egg chef' 3 attempts to poach me a couple and when he served the last batch I smiled, took them back to the table and that's where they stayed! How can someone serve hard egg yolks with no whites because, in his words 'the boiling water burns the whites off'. I brought these basic failings to the attention of the hotel manager later that morning and credit where credit's due, he was very understanding and dealt with my complaint well. I wasn't however expecting them to put the same trainee back on the egg station for the rest of the week! The evening buffets were 'themed' and at a mere €25 pp with kids under 12 going free, it was very good value.... That is of course if you find anything edible! The food is very poor and our boys ate very little. To give you an example, on the kids station there would be fish fingers. These were a dark grey and smelt foul. I moaned at our youngest when he didn't eat his usual favourite, carbonara, until I tasted it and could see why! It was very unpleasant. The restaurant seemed to be almost empty each evening and perhaps this is why. I was luckier however as there was a good salad station every evening which I made full use of - if noting else! Oh, and the deserts were quite nice too.

All in all, the hotel was pleasent, clean, tidy, the reception staff very accommodating and the grounds lovely but this hotel's short falling is certainly it's food- both in the way of staff serving it, and staff cooking it.

If you want a laid back stay a little away from everything and are keen to eat out every evening, it's a cheap break but you might want to skip breakfast - or certainly the eggs anyway!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
JRNeves, Manager at Pestana Vila Sol Golf & Resort Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear "mikeandclaireabell"

Thank you very much for choosing Pestana Vila Sol for your stay in Vilamoura, and for sharing your experience in Tripadvisor.I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel in general, and I am naturally sad to read that we failed to impress you positively with our service in Green Pines restaurant. Please accept our appologies and rest assured that your comments were shared with my team so we can work to develop our guest service and response.Should you ever visit Vilamoura again, we would be very please to welcome you back at Pestana Vila Sol Golf & Resort Hotel and have the opportunity for a positive experience.

Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Fantastic location just outside Vilamoura marina. The whole complex lived up to its 5 star rating. The staff were welcoming, friendly and incredibly helpful. Wide variety of fantastic food on offer and the chef even catered for our daughters gluten allergy. Thanks pestana!!!

Stayed August 2014
Dear "Thackx",

Thank you very much fot staying at Pestana Vila Sol, and for your review on our staff and service they deliver. I will make sure to share it with our team.I am also happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in Vilamoura, and I hope to welcome you back in a near future.

Warm Regards,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights here at the end of July. It says 5* but is at best 2* and apart from the kids club staff the rest of the staff are 1*. The most annoying thing was on the day I checked out calling reception for a buggy to collect our 2 large suitcases and 3 large bags they made us wait 45 minutes and even after calling reception on numerous occasions nobody answered. In the end we carried it to reception which from one of the villas at the back of the resort is a long way. I arrived at reception expecting them to be rushed off their feet but there were no guests at all. It took forever to check in as well as there was only one person on reception and then someone else came over looked at the queue and walked off. Nowhere to have a glass of water or anything.
The rooms are quite shabby and the TV was like something from the 80's. The swimming pool was fairly boring and for some reason really busy. The food was awful, breakfast was so busy and the food was not great. They had the worst pastel di nata I have ever tasted in my life. Totally uneatable. We went to a Tex-Mex buffet. I have no idea why it was Tex-Mex. the food was awful and I was expecting fajitas or burritos or quesadillas or tacos or taqitos. What we got was a few nachos and guacamole. At the breakfast a waitress dropped a glass on my 10 year old sons forehead after she tried picking up about 20 glasses on her own. He barely got an apology and I was going to complain but didn't want to waste an hour of my time at reception And my wife was worried she might get fired. Little things annoyed me as well like no complimentary water. I have never seen that at an alleged 5* hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear "Biglexy"

Thank you for your candid feedback. As you can imagine we are all very sorry to hear that several things throughout your stay did not meet your expectations and your concerns have been passed on to the entire team. Please rest assured that we will focus on the described situations to develop our guest service and response.

it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Yours Sincerely,

Unit Manager

Been to Pestana Vila Sol Golf & Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!