“Lovely but check outside space” 4 of 5 stars

The Old Village Apartments
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   R. da Igreja, Vilamoura 8125, Portugal   |
Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Vilamoura
inverness
“Lovely but check outside space”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We went 1st sep for 9 days. Security chap showed us our apart and was very efficient. Ground floor studio, 12, lovely, modern and very clean, everything u need and more. (Did my washing before I came home). Unfortunately no outside seating area, which for us was a BIG let down, breakfast on the veranda/balcony? No, unfortunately not :-(
We had air con and very good cleaners which was great but after 25 years of holidaying I will ask about outdoor space. The complex is lovely, nice pools but grudged paying for sun loungers. Ate in princess gardens and Zanzibar and they were lovely.
Vilamoura is lovely bit a bit too commercialised for me.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Location just far enough out of the town but close enough (15 mins walk).
Our accommodation, a studio apartment, was a little dated and could do with a lick of paint but was clean and well furnished.
The Village Apartments is itself its own little holiday resort with everything you could want, bars, restaurants, snack bars, shop, pool etc.
Staff was excellent, friendly and welcoming.
Excellent vaule.
Would recommend and would return

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Would echo all reviews about the good points of the Old Village - it is beautiful and well kept. Unfortunately can not recommend the apartments - at least I would not return there.
Good points:
-Good choice of pools - 3 in the complex.
-Decent choice of bars/restaurants - but you should really be heading for the Marina area.
-Well located for the Marina.
Bad Points:
-Had to pay CASH!! This is 2013 and I had to make more than 1 trip to the ATM (nearest of which is in Vilamoura town). This is a bit nonsensical in this day and age.
-No air con in the apartment. I was convinced I saw this advertised as a feature and indeed there was an air con unit in the room - but no controller for it was to be found! The receptionist was clearly prepared for this argument and was entirely "correct" saying air con was not on the booking small print.
-Our apartment while smelled clean on our arrival was anything but and wasn't really serviced all that well. The pillows on the bed must be as old as the village itself - yeucch! As for the grotty lounger on the terrace..I was afraid to touch it let alone lie on it. We had to buy our own toilet roll - not sure if this is standard but I thought it was pretty weak.
-No lighting in the main bathroom. 3 times we asked for this to be sorted and 3 times we were told it would be - but ultimately we had to use the torch ap on our iphones to use the bathroom!
Anyhoo - we had a good holiday - only slightly marred by the accomodation. I've no doubt there are nicer apartments in this complex but on the whole I'd recommend avoiding the OV as I will do in future.
Reception staff are pleasant it must be said.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I went to The Old village apartments in Vilamora this year. Me and my Boyfriend went on 2nd of August 2013, we had a good flight and it didnt take long to get to the hotel from the airport. When we arrived it was about 1:00 in the morning so there was no one around. We had been told that if the reception is closed then there is a security guard walking around to show us where our room is. When we got there it was very dark and a bit confusing, we walked up to where the reception was and luckily the security guy saw us and was expecting us. He didnt speak much english but we could see he had our room key and took us too our room. We stayed on Village street just along from The Zanzibar Restaurant. Our room was on the top floor and was really nice. It did NOT have air-conditioning which we thought it did, but it doesnt. They do provide a big standing fan that just about did the job and was in the room for when we arrived which was good. The kitchen is very basic and old fashioned but it had everything we needed and was actually quite cute. Because we were top floor we had a roof terrace that was just for our room and the views from the roof were so lovely. Me and my boyfriend did Self-catering, so we did most of our shopping in the resorts little supermarket, which had everything we needed and was fairly cheap. We had a look round at the 3 different pools but we ended up using the Dolphin pool the whole time because the main big pool was sooooo busy everyday and full of children, that we found the dolphin pool to be sort of quieter and had more space to sunbathe. One thing to know is that you have to have a pool card to get into the pool areas, these are given to you at reception. We did not no this and got quite confused until we asked our rep. All the staff are lovely, we spent a few evenings at the resorts little bars and restaurants. The food in them was really nice and drink prices werent to expensive. Now the main place we loved to go was down to the Marina, it was a 10 min walk down to the marina where all the lovely restaurants are and the shops. Most nights we walked down and found a lovely restaurant over looking the sea and the boats. The meal prices down at the marina were quite pricey but it was worth it. And we found the best restaurant to have the most amazing Steak ever, i cant remember what it was called but it was right next to the man who was drawing charactures and near the 'Hole in one' bar. On our first night down there we went to 'The Purobeach' bar it was soo nice, it was behing the BIG Tivali hotel and right on the beach. The drinks are expensive in there but its soo relaxed and has those egypt style beds etc. Really recomend going there! I would also recomend going to Zoomarine, we got the excursion free as we were told we would have air con but we didnt, so when we told this to our rep she gave us a free excursion so we chose zoomarine, it was VERY hot their and for the whole day there it was quite exhausting but was lots of fun seeing all the shows and watching the dolphin show. We also went to the gypsy market in Quietera which was on a wednesday i think, didnt take very long to get there by taxi which was only about 7 euros.
Overall i would deffinatly reccomend this holiday as the Old Village apartment resort is sooo beautiful and clean and with the marina down the road, it was a brilliant, romantic holiday. Just next time i would try to avoid the childrens summer holiday time as the children ruined the romantic part sometimes! Would deffinatly go back there one day.
LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!
* One other thing at this time of the year there it was VERY HOT so be prepared!!!

Room Tip: We stayed on Village street, apartment 17c i think! It was really nice with our own roof top. It was...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Me and my partner stayed here for a week in July, The Apartment complex itself is amazing, its like a really old village, in which you have everything at your feet, bars, pools, restaurants, shops.

When we got to our apartment we were blown away, it was out of this world, clean, tidy, everything we needed, modern and above all they went the extra mile to ensure we loved it by a free bottle of rose wine.

The whole holiday was amazing and it was all down to where we stayed, it was so nice and lavish that I would recommend honey mooners who are looking at a magical place without the huge price tag. All in All can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Our apartment was excellent. Clean and comfortable, it suited our needs very well. We were disappointed not to have a double bed but the singles went together quite well. The apartment had everything we needed. The estate was very well kept and was free of litter etc. Lawns were immaculate. The Princes Garden restaurant was excellent and we recommend the steak on a stone. The tapas bar was disappointing and not up to our usual standards. The restaurant in the centre if the village requires you to book. The Buccaneer pub lacked any atmosphere and the landlord wasn't particularly welcoming or chatty. We had a great week at Old Village and would happily recommend it.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a 9 day stay in the OV. To be honest I was very nervous before arrival due to some previous reviews I had seen. Myself, husband and 4 year old daughter stayed in 13BC and booked via OV International.

The 2 bed duplex was lovely, a little dated yes but clean, comfortable and very charming. My only gripe was that both the balcony area and roof terrace were very neglected, dirty floors, very grubby walls. But other than that the property had everything we needed and more.. The lovely thing was that we were actually able to relax in the evening as it was like sitting in someone's living room and since we were home most evenings by 10pm with rte little one it was a great bonus.
The lack of air conditioning is a pain but I knew this beforehand so I couldn't complain.
The two lady's in the OV International office are lovely and very helpful.

I am already thinking of returning here next year but I will opt for a garden terrace apartment.

We also ate most nights in rte restaurants within the OV and they were all nice. Zanzibar was our favourite.

I do have some feedback for the OV office that I will be emailing on to them but they may also read these reviews on TA so here they are;

1: Properties should be checked after cleaning before they are ready for a new arrival. This would detect any obvious issues such as - lights not working, missing toilet roll holders, no cleaning utensils. I think this is the issue that the cleaners don't report these back and it's left to the new tentants to find the faults. Although resolved quickly these things could be sorted prior to customer arriving.

2: Optional cleaning services that can be paid for such as changing beds, towels etc.
- We stayed for 9 nights and were not entitied to bed linen changes and with no air conditioning this is not ideal. To be honest I still can't get my head around this one. Bed linen should be changed at least every 3 days in these situations.
- Clear details on the cleaning service offered, I had understood that bins and sweeping would be done every weekday. However our stay went through 7 weekdays but cleaner only came twice.

These may seem like complaints that are in conflict to my above comments but they are just observations that I made that the OV management could review.

Thanks

• Stayed August 2013

Been to The Old Village Apartments? Share your experiences!