“Excellent accommodation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 35 hotels in Vilamoura
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Excellent accommodation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Our apartment was excellent. Clean and comfortable, it suited our needs very well. We were disappointed not to have a double bed but the singles went together quite well. The apartment had everything we needed. The estate was very well kept and was free of litter etc. Lawns were immaculate. The Princes Garden restaurant was excellent and we recommend the steak on a stone. The tapas bar was disappointing and not up to our usual standards. The restaurant in the centre if the village requires you to book. The Buccaneer pub lacked any atmosphere and the landlord wasn't particularly welcoming or chatty. We had a great week at Old Village and would happily recommend it.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a 9 day stay in the OV. To be honest I was very nervous before arrival due to some previous reviews I had seen. Myself, husband and 4 year old daughter stayed in 13BC and booked via OV International.

The 2 bed duplex was lovely, a little dated yes but clean, comfortable and very charming. My only gripe was that both the balcony area and roof terrace were very neglected, dirty floors, very grubby walls. But other than that the property had everything we needed and more.. The lovely thing was that we were actually able to relax in the evening as it was like sitting in someone's living room and since we were home most evenings by 10pm with rte little one it was a great bonus.
The lack of air conditioning is a pain but I knew this beforehand so I couldn't complain.
The two lady's in the OV International office are lovely and very helpful.

I am already thinking of returning here next year but I will opt for a garden terrace apartment.

We also ate most nights in rte restaurants within the OV and they were all nice. Zanzibar was our favourite.

I do have some feedback for the OV office that I will be emailing on to them but they may also read these reviews on TA so here they are;

1: Properties should be checked after cleaning before they are ready for a new arrival. This would detect any obvious issues such as - lights not working, missing toilet roll holders, no cleaning utensils. I think this is the issue that the cleaners don't report these back and it's left to the new tentants to find the faults. Although resolved quickly these things could be sorted prior to customer arriving.

2: Optional cleaning services that can be paid for such as changing beds, towels etc.
- We stayed for 9 nights and were not entitied to bed linen changes and with no air conditioning this is not ideal. To be honest I still can't get my head around this one. Bed linen should be changed at least every 3 days in these situations.
- Clear details on the cleaning service offered, I had understood that bins and sweeping would be done every weekday. However our stay went through 7 weekdays but cleaner only came twice.

These may seem like complaints that are in conflict to my above comments but they are just observations that I made that the OV management could review.

Thanks

• Stayed August 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had a two bed apt with roof terrace - bit dated but very spacious, would agree with previous reviewer apart from sun bed situation. Sun beds reserved with towels despite rule displayed - we ended up using grass area a couple of times, however on one occasion I used the smaller pool area early one morning only to find ten identical towels on sunbeds, since it was just myself I moved a towel, half hour later two young male attendants came round for the 1.50 charge, I complained about the towel booking and told them I had moved a towel. I was then told off for having moved the towel, by this time only 4 of the party of ten had arrived, I asked to speak to the manager and he was brought along later. Unfortunately his English wasn't great so it was still left to the young attendant who proceeded to defend the reserved beds. In the end I gave up, and asked for my money back. Not impressed, marred an otherwise impressive complex.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Booked a 3 bedroom apt through private owner that I found here on TA. There were 6 of us (2 adults 4 teenagers)over for a wedding for 1 wk. This is a fab complex, the grounds and 3 pools are spotless. Even in July it was never too busy; always a sun bed free at the pools and always a table free in any of the 5 restaurants. Ate in 2 of the 5 restaurants mainly for lunch snacks food was good and reasonably priced. there is a very reasonably priced supermarket on site but only stays open til 8pm. It takes about 15 mins to walk down to the marina or about €5 in taxi. I think alot of these apt/houses r private rentals therefore things like cleaning/towel change depend on the owner r company. We were not allowed clean towels and luckily there was a washing machine in the apt (not too much hassle as they dried quickly but with 6 of us was bit of a relay). I don't think any point reviewing particular apt I was in as they are all so different due to private owners. We did have to change to another apt after 3 days due to bed bugs and the alternative, even though bigger (5 bedrooms over 4 stories) was not as nicely decorated as the one I had booked. So even though the old village complex itself is fab I think apt/houses vary drastically as does maid service/linen changes etc. There are about 4 reception offices that manage the apts/houses. Multialternatives was the one that managed the apt I was in, I picked up the key from this office, ordered taxis, booked the water park tickets etc. they were very helpful when I informed them of the bed bugs and immediately emailed the owner who paid for us to then move to another house managed by multialternatives. Despite the bed bugs I would book this apt again (even though im still covered in bites as i type ;(as these problems are mostly beyond the owner/hotels control and the problem was dealt with immediately, a bit inconvenient at the time having to pack up and move but we got over it. Complex is great just do your homework on the apt/house you plan on booking.

• Stayed July 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

One of the nicest places we have stayed.

Self catering apartment for 2. The room was pleasant, but basic. But we had everything we needed and it was clean.

The best part was outside! we had a roof terrace with view over the pool, and gardens. Stunning. The entire complex is maintained to the highest standard.

15 min walk downhill to the marina or 4 Euro taxi.

There was a supermarket within the complex which had ample supplies for a few nights cooking, BBQing and lots of drinking which was very reasonable.

Will definately return

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Just back from my fourth trip to the Old Village since Oct 12, booked with the guys above who are front line next to the supermarket on arrival. They have been as ever fantastic, nothing is too much for them, be specific and you will be allocated what you require. The girls are lovely and are always pleasant to deal with, I am currently planning my next trip. The Old Village is fab and so is the Princess Gardens restaurant and the café The Village they own as well, best food on the club, some of the other establishments are not great and not had great food at Casa de Largo or El Ghecko this time round, bit slack, service pretty poor and at times rude, like you are interrupting their day, but overall poor quality. Pools are lovely as ever and the grounds and cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: Some stunners, 7AB Scottish Road is lovely 3 bed house and so is 20A Village St studio, both gorgeou...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just arrived back in the UK after having stayed at the Old Village for the past 2 weeks with my 2 daughters. What fantastic place, not been to Portugal before and had such a lovely time. The Old Village is just perfect - beautiful grounds, lovely people, 3 good pool areas etc etc. It has more than enough bars & restaurants on site but a visit to the Marina, which is just a 15 minute walk away, is a must. Our apartment was really well equipped and clean and being on the first floor we had two balconies, one overlooking the main pool, and our very own roof terrace decked out with a 6 seater patio set, 2 sun loungers and a built in BBQ !!! Will definitely be returning next year. Booked with Villages4ULettings and used a fantastic guy, Kev, for our transfers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Old Village Apartments? Share your experiences!