“Lovely stay in the Old Village” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Old Village Apartments to your Saves list
The Old Village Apartments
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   R. da Igreja, Vilamoura 8125, Portugal   |
Ranked #11 of 35 hotels in Vilamoura
“Lovely stay in the Old Village”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a 9 day stay in the OV. To be honest I was very nervous before arrival due to some previous reviews I had seen. Myself, husband and 4 year old daughter stayed in 13BC and booked via OV International.

The 2 bed duplex was lovely, a little dated yes but clean, comfortable and very charming. My only gripe was that both the balcony area and roof terrace were very neglected, dirty floors, very grubby walls. But other than that the property had everything we needed and more.. The lovely thing was that we were actually able to relax in the evening as it was like sitting in someone's living room and since we were home most evenings by 10pm with rte little one it was a great bonus.
The lack of air conditioning is a pain but I knew this beforehand so I couldn't complain.
The two lady's in the OV International office are lovely and very helpful.

I am already thinking of returning here next year but I will opt for a garden terrace apartment.

We also ate most nights in rte restaurants within the OV and they were all nice. Zanzibar was our favourite.

I do have some feedback for the OV office that I will be emailing on to them but they may also read these reviews on TA so here they are;

1: Properties should be checked after cleaning before they are ready for a new arrival. This would detect any obvious issues such as - lights not working, missing toilet roll holders, no cleaning utensils. I think this is the issue that the cleaners don't report these back and it's left to the new tentants to find the faults. Although resolved quickly these things could be sorted prior to customer arriving.

2: Optional cleaning services that can be paid for such as changing beds, towels etc.
- We stayed for 9 nights and were not entitied to bed linen changes and with no air conditioning this is not ideal. To be honest I still can't get my head around this one. Bed linen should be changed at least every 3 days in these situations.
- Clear details on the cleaning service offered, I had understood that bins and sweeping would be done every weekday. However our stay went through 7 weekdays but cleaner only came twice.

These may seem like complaints that are in conflict to my above comments but they are just observations that I made that the OV management could review.

Thanks

• Stayed August 2013

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had a two bed apt with roof terrace - bit dated but very spacious, would agree with previous reviewer apart from sun bed situation. Sun beds reserved with towels despite rule displayed - we ended up using grass area a couple of times, however on one occasion I used the smaller pool area early one morning only to find ten identical towels on sunbeds, since it was just myself I moved a towel, half hour later two young male attendants came round for the 1.50 charge, I complained about the towel booking and told them I had moved a towel. I was then told off for having moved the towel, by this time only 4 of the party of ten had arrived, I asked to speak to the manager and he was brought along later. Unfortunately his English wasn't great so it was still left to the young attendant who proceeded to defend the reserved beds. In the end I gave up, and asked for my money back. Not impressed, marred an otherwise impressive complex.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Booked a 3 bedroom apt through private owner that I found here on TA. There were 6 of us (2 adults 4 teenagers)over for a wedding for 1 wk. This is a fab complex, the grounds and 3 pools are spotless. Even in July it was never too busy; always a sun bed free at the pools and always a table free in any of the 5 restaurants. Ate in 2 of the 5 restaurants mainly for lunch snacks food was good and reasonably priced. there is a very reasonably priced supermarket on site but only stays open til 8pm. It takes about 15 mins to walk down to the marina or about €5 in taxi. I think alot of these apt/houses r private rentals therefore things like cleaning/towel change depend on the owner r company. We were not allowed clean towels and luckily there was a washing machine in the apt (not too much hassle as they dried quickly but with 6 of us was bit of a relay). I don't think any point reviewing particular apt I was in as they are all so different due to private owners. We did have to change to another apt after 3 days due to bed bugs and the alternative, even though bigger (5 bedrooms over 4 stories) was not as nicely decorated as the one I had booked. So even though the old village complex itself is fab I think apt/houses vary drastically as does maid service/linen changes etc. There are about 4 reception offices that manage the apts/houses. Multialternatives was the one that managed the apt I was in, I picked up the key from this office, ordered taxis, booked the water park tickets etc. they were very helpful when I informed them of the bed bugs and immediately emailed the owner who paid for us to then move to another house managed by multialternatives. Despite the bed bugs I would book this apt again (even though im still covered in bites as i type ;(as these problems are mostly beyond the owner/hotels control and the problem was dealt with immediately, a bit inconvenient at the time having to pack up and move but we got over it. Complex is great just do your homework on the apt/house you plan on booking.

• Stayed July 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

One of the nicest places we have stayed.

Self catering apartment for 2. The room was pleasant, but basic. But we had everything we needed and it was clean.

The best part was outside! we had a roof terrace with view over the pool, and gardens. Stunning. The entire complex is maintained to the highest standard.

15 min walk downhill to the marina or 4 Euro taxi.

There was a supermarket within the complex which had ample supplies for a few nights cooking, BBQing and lots of drinking which was very reasonable.

Will definately return

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Just back from my fourth trip to the Old Village since Oct 12, booked with the guys above who are front line next to the supermarket on arrival. They have been as ever fantastic, nothing is too much for them, be specific and you will be allocated what you require. The girls are lovely and are always pleasant to deal with, I am currently planning my next trip. The Old Village is fab and so is the Princess Gardens restaurant and the café The Village they own as well, best food on the club, some of the other establishments are not great and not had great food at Casa de Largo or El Ghecko this time round, bit slack, service pretty poor and at times rude, like you are interrupting their day, but overall poor quality. Pools are lovely as ever and the grounds and cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: Some stunners, 7AB Scottish Road is lovely 3 bed house and so is 20A Village St studio, both gorgeou...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just arrived back in the UK after having stayed at the Old Village for the past 2 weeks with my 2 daughters. What fantastic place, not been to Portugal before and had such a lovely time. The Old Village is just perfect - beautiful grounds, lovely people, 3 good pool areas etc etc. It has more than enough bars & restaurants on site but a visit to the Marina, which is just a 15 minute walk away, is a must. Our apartment was really well equipped and clean and being on the first floor we had two balconies, one overlooking the main pool, and our very own roof terrace decked out with a 6 seater patio set, 2 sun loungers and a built in BBQ !!! Will definitely be returning next year. Booked with Villages4ULettings and used a fantastic guy, Kev, for our transfers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The Room:
It was fully functional and had everything you required. We were originally worried that we was going to get a old and grubby room from reading other peoples reviews BUT that that wasn't the case and we was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the room. HOWEVER the room service wasn't brilliant, the maids attended the room ONCE to change the towels and came 5 days a week to change the bins and sweep/mop the floor. The beds were never changed and never had any toilet paper given therefore we had to buy some ourselves. We had Sky TV, Fridge, Cooker, Toaster pretty much everything you need if you want to cater for yourselves which we did for lunch/breakfast as it was rather expensive eating out.

Sleep Quality:
It was pretty difficult sleeping on them beds as they were hard as rock. Also most couples that go put the beds together and you end up falling down the middle of it and having to get out and push the two beds together. You might not think this is a big deal, but it is when the room above you is continually getting up and dragging the bed back into place at 3AM. Also it would be nice if they changed the bedding at least once during our stay. Also we had no A/C in the room (only the PRESTIGE APPARTMENTS have it) but we was left with a fan which we had on all the time to cool the room down.

On-site Restaurants:
- Carte De Largo: They offer a free horse carriage ride on certain nights if you pre-book with them, THIS IS A MUST for couples and families as it was lovely and you receive a free glass of champagne with lovely service and it was completely run by British owners/staff (most likely a family run thing who take great pride in their restaurant). Food quality was OK, nothing amazing but it was a lovely setting. This is the best place to come for Breakfast at 5.50 EURO for a full english.
- Princess Gardens: This place is a bit snobby.. the staff are quite rude if you're not spending big bucks and will also pull their face if you don't order starters/bread which we didn't want at the time. Food quality was perfection, it was the best of every type of food that we tried in Portugal. The Balcony tables must be reserved as we were let down on two occasions when wanting the tables on our last day. MUST TRY the 'Sole Fillet Portuguese Style' Dish.
- Zanzibar: Looked lovely and it was right outside our door, but we didn't get chance to eat here as the time we did want to they kept fobbing us off as they didn't want to give a couple a 4 seater table. They kept telling us to come back in 30mins and then even when they had tables they said the same thing so we got annoyed and went elsewhere.
- Bar 'O' Cafe: Absolute rip off, 5.50 euro for scrambled egg on toast which was very bland. 4 Euros for a small potion of chips, the only good thing about this place was the happy hour 3pm-7pm 1,90 euro for large beer and 1 euro for glass of wine which we did most nights before heading out.

The Old Village in General:
On our arrival there was no one there to greet us as they close at 9PM so our transfer’s man had to go around the village trying to find the security guard who didn't speak ONE SINGLE WORD of English except wobbling his face and we think he meant follow me so we did.
The village itself is extremely clean and beautiful; it's a village not a hotel and is extremely relaxing and lovely to walk around. The birds are always flying around eating all the mozzies which I loved and the sound of the birds in the morning was extremely tranquil.

Pools:
You had to pay 20 euro deposit for a pool card and 1.50 per half day PER lounger. PLEASE NOTE you pay for the TIME SLOT not how long you are there for.
9:00 - 14:00 - You will still be charged from 13:00 > 14:00 and then AGAIN at 14:00+
14:00 - 20:00
We found that the pool man did a run around 11:30 and then came back at like 3PM but this wasn't consistent. (80% of the time) also sometimes he never came at all and we got it for free so bonus. We went to the Dolphin Pool all the time as it was for more mature and calmer people where as the main pool is full of kids screaming and families. The small pool was also lovely but it was a very small pool that I wasn't so keen on and the pool man came around more often it seemed.

The Marina:
There are lots of terrible places to eat, please DO NOT go into the place that has the most people in. The reason they have lots of people in is usually because the food takes like an hour to make and they get more money from drinks off you. We found the food quality was absolutely AWFUL because we went for a cheaper place that looked nice. The cost of food is very expensive too; I'd rather stick to the Old Village and visit only a few places in the Marina. There is also a big parking lot at the Marina and everywhere in the Algarve is sign posted very well and frequently.
- Pizza Hut: Absolutely awesome, prices are AWESOME and food is immense! Get the cookie dough cookie dessert!
- Lakhsmi Indian: This was the best restaurant we ever went to the chicken pakoras were lovely and everything about it was spot on! I'd visit here every night if I could. We went to Mud Clay and I wasn't happy with it at all, the relish trays were terrible the drinks were watered down and just bad...

Supermarket:
Pingo Doce! YOU MUST GO HERE! as soon as you arrive at the hotel get a taxi (Taxi 7, he's the BEST taxi driver ever! and known for his hospitality and sweets) it'll cost you 5 euros to get there. It's the cheapest place to shop and you can buy a bottle of wine for 1 euro, 3 bottles of Desperados for 3.49 and much more it saved us lots of money! We spent 64 euros and got a full weeks shopping of cheeses, milk, fruit, 8 bottles of wine, Desperados, bread, ice cream, yoghurts, chips etc etc.

Beach:
Costs 6-7 euros in a taxi to go to the beach and it was lovely (there are two, the Marina and another.. we went to the ‘another’ which was a little further down). You could easily walk to both beaches from the Marina as we walked from the further beach to the Marina for lunch and then got a taxi back from the Marina for 3.90

Taxi’s:
There is a taxi stand where all the taxis are in the Marina, follow the big sign for a P on the main road and it’ll lead you there. It’ll cost 3.90 for a taxi at night and in the day it’ll cost 3.25.

Gypsy Market:
Quarteira Market: This is the best one but ONLY runs on Wednesday and goes from 9AM till 1PM so wake up early or you will miss it! We made this mistake and resorted to Loule Market instead which was pretty good still HOWEVER as Loule Market is on a Saturday, the Taxis charge you DOUBLE RATES so DO NOT get a taxi as it’ll cost you 44 euro return which we told the taxi driver kindly to go piss off.. Luckily we managed to get on the shuffle bus for 12 euros each return in a lovely A/C coach to Loule market and the journey was 20-30mins MAX. At the markets there are loads of handbags, wallets, accessories, food, drink and you will get hassled a lot to buy things you don’t want. Beware, if you touch anything they think you want to buy it and will haggle themselves down until you say yes.. they dropped themselves down from 30 euros to 10 by us just saying “NO THANKS!” I thought this technique was rather good..

Day Trips:
There are lots of them which I was tempted to go on where you can visit pretty much all of the Algarve, wine tasting, photo tours, jeep safari (44 euro each for full day), off-road buggie’ing(EXPENSIVE like 120 euros for 2 hours). Check out the leaflets in the office as there are so many to choose from.

Hiring:
Cars: Have to be 23/25+ to hire a car and the cost of them are FROM 25 euro a day if you book 3-6 days or like 150 euro for a week+.
Bicycles: Around 15 euros a week, 2-3 euro a day I think but it varies on the bike.
Scooters: Lol, rip off! 40 euros a day and they cost more than a car..
Motorbikes/Quads: Visit the Marina for prices as they are no leaflets for it on-site we only sat that being advertised in the Marina but was rather expensive and much more than a car.

Any questions, send me a message! :)

Room Tip: Book in the new Prestige Apartments/Studios as they have a private pool, newly refurbished and A/C...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Old Village Apartments? Share your experiences!