It was fully functional and had everything you required. We were originally worried that we was going to get a old and grubby room from reading other peoples reviews BUT that that wasn't the case and we was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the room. HOWEVER the room service wasn't brilliant, the maids attended the room ONCE to change the towels and came 5 days a week to change the bins and sweep/mop the floor. The beds were never changed and never had any toilet paper given therefore we had to buy some ourselves. We had Sky TV, Fridge, Cooker, Toaster pretty much everything you need if you want to cater for yourselves which we did for lunch/breakfast as it was rather expensive eating out.
It was pretty difficult sleeping on them beds as they were hard as rock. Also most couples that go put the beds together and you end up falling down the middle of it and having to get out and push the two beds together. You might not think this is a big deal, but it is when the room above you is continually getting up and dragging the bed back into place at 3AM. Also it would be nice if they changed the bedding at least once during our stay. Also we had no A/C in the room (only the PRESTIGE APPARTMENTS have it) but we was left with a fan which we had on all the time to cool the room down.
- Carte De Largo: They offer a free horse carriage ride on certain nights if you pre-book with them, THIS IS A MUST for couples and families as it was lovely and you receive a free glass of champagne with lovely service and it was completely run by British owners/staff (most likely a family run thing who take great pride in their restaurant). Food quality was OK, nothing amazing but it was a lovely setting. This is the best place to come for Breakfast at 5.50 EURO for a full english.
- Princess Gardens: This place is a bit snobby.. the staff are quite rude if you're not spending big bucks and will also pull their face if you don't order starters/bread which we didn't want at the time. Food quality was perfection, it was the best of every type of food that we tried in Portugal. The Balcony tables must be reserved as we were let down on two occasions when wanting the tables on our last day. MUST TRY the 'Sole Fillet Portuguese Style' Dish.
- Zanzibar: Looked lovely and it was right outside our door, but we didn't get chance to eat here as the time we did want to they kept fobbing us off as they didn't want to give a couple a 4 seater table. They kept telling us to come back in 30mins and then even when they had tables they said the same thing so we got annoyed and went elsewhere.
- Bar 'O' Cafe: Absolute rip off, 5.50 euro for scrambled egg on toast which was very bland. 4 Euros for a small potion of chips, the only good thing about this place was the happy hour 3pm-7pm 1,90 euro for large beer and 1 euro for glass of wine which we did most nights before heading out.
The Old Village in General:
On our arrival there was no one there to greet us as they close at 9PM so our transfer’s man had to go around the village trying to find the security guard who didn't speak ONE SINGLE WORD of English except wobbling his face and we think he meant follow me so we did.
The village itself is extremely clean and beautiful; it's a village not a hotel and is extremely relaxing and lovely to walk around. The birds are always flying around eating all the mozzies which I loved and the sound of the birds in the morning was extremely tranquil.
You had to pay 20 euro deposit for a pool card and 1.50 per half day PER lounger. PLEASE NOTE you pay for the TIME SLOT not how long you are there for.
9:00 - 14:00 - You will still be charged from 13:00 > 14:00 and then AGAIN at 14:00+
14:00 - 20:00
We found that the pool man did a run around 11:30 and then came back at like 3PM but this wasn't consistent. (80% of the time) also sometimes he never came at all and we got it for free so bonus. We went to the Dolphin Pool all the time as it was for more mature and calmer people where as the main pool is full of kids screaming and families. The small pool was also lovely but it was a very small pool that I wasn't so keen on and the pool man came around more often it seemed.
There are lots of terrible places to eat, please DO NOT go into the place that has the most people in. The reason they have lots of people in is usually because the food takes like an hour to make and they get more money from drinks off you. We found the food quality was absolutely AWFUL because we went for a cheaper place that looked nice. The cost of food is very expensive too; I'd rather stick to the Old Village and visit only a few places in the Marina. There is also a big parking lot at the Marina and everywhere in the Algarve is sign posted very well and frequently.
- Pizza Hut: Absolutely awesome, prices are AWESOME and food is immense! Get the cookie dough cookie dessert!
- Lakhsmi Indian: This was the best restaurant we ever went to the chicken pakoras were lovely and everything about it was spot on! I'd visit here every night if I could. We went to Mud Clay and I wasn't happy with it at all, the relish trays were terrible the drinks were watered down and just bad...
Pingo Doce! YOU MUST GO HERE! as soon as you arrive at the hotel get a taxi (Taxi 7, he's the BEST taxi driver ever! and known for his hospitality and sweets) it'll cost you 5 euros to get there. It's the cheapest place to shop and you can buy a bottle of wine for 1 euro, 3 bottles of Desperados for 3.49 and much more it saved us lots of money! We spent 64 euros and got a full weeks shopping of cheeses, milk, fruit, 8 bottles of wine, Desperados, bread, ice cream, yoghurts, chips etc etc.
Costs 6-7 euros in a taxi to go to the beach and it was lovely (there are two, the Marina and another.. we went to the ‘another’ which was a little further down). You could easily walk to both beaches from the Marina as we walked from the further beach to the Marina for lunch and then got a taxi back from the Marina for 3.90
There is a taxi stand where all the taxis are in the Marina, follow the big sign for a P on the main road and it’ll lead you there. It’ll cost 3.90 for a taxi at night and in the day it’ll cost 3.25.
Quarteira Market: This is the best one but ONLY runs on Wednesday and goes from 9AM till 1PM so wake up early or you will miss it! We made this mistake and resorted to Loule Market instead which was pretty good still HOWEVER as Loule Market is on a Saturday, the Taxis charge you DOUBLE RATES so DO NOT get a taxi as it’ll cost you 44 euro return which we told the taxi driver kindly to go piss off.. Luckily we managed to get on the shuffle bus for 12 euros each return in a lovely A/C coach to Loule market and the journey was 20-30mins MAX. At the markets there are loads of handbags, wallets, accessories, food, drink and you will get hassled a lot to buy things you don’t want. Beware, if you touch anything they think you want to buy it and will haggle themselves down until you say yes.. they dropped themselves down from 30 euros to 10 by us just saying “NO THANKS!” I thought this technique was rather good..
There are lots of them which I was tempted to go on where you can visit pretty much all of the Algarve, wine tasting, photo tours, jeep safari (44 euro each for full day), off-road buggie’ing(EXPENSIVE like 120 euros for 2 hours). Check out the leaflets in the office as there are so many to choose from.
Cars: Have to be 23/25+ to hire a car and the cost of them are FROM 25 euro a day if you book 3-6 days or like 150 euro for a week+.
Bicycles: Around 15 euros a week, 2-3 euro a day I think but it varies on the bike.
Scooters: Lol, rip off! 40 euros a day and they cost more than a car..
Motorbikes/Quads: Visit the Marina for prices as they are no leaflets for it on-site we only sat that being advertised in the Marina but was rather expensive and much more than a car.
Any questions, send me a message! :)
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Old Village Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Old Village Apartments Hotel Vilamoura
- Old Village Vilamoura
- Old Village Apartments Vilamoura
- The Old Village Apartments Vilamoura, Portugal - Algarve