“Ok for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 35 Hotels in Vilamoura
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Ok for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We have just returned from a week at the Rio Apartments, first impressions were basic but for the price we paid we didn't expect very much, the accomodation actually cost us less than It would of cost to go camping in the Uk.The apartments are very run down, we were given a studio with a garden view, which was dull and dreary, it didn't get any natural light and the electric lighting was awful.The first apartment we were given had water leaking through the kitchen ceiling off the flat roof, we told reception and the lady sent the staff up to have a look, when we came back from the supermarket she told us it was ok now, we went up to find that they had simply mopped the floor and it was still leaking in, so we went back down and were then moved to another apartment.This one was ok as far as water leaking in, but had obviously had problems in the past and the damaged areas had been painted over, this just emphasised the need for decoration as the new paint stood out from the rest. The kitchen only had one plug socket so you could only do one thing at a time either use the kettle or use the toaster or microwave. Towards the end of the week we got some unwelcome visitors lots of ants and as quick as we killed them more would come, in the end we just ignored them and made sure nothing was left out for them to contaminate. The walk to the marina is a good 30 minutes walk even if you cut through the tennis academy, but after a couple of days you do get used to it. The marina is lovely but after going every day it does get a bit boring, the weather wasn't great whilst we were there and there really isn't a lot to do except walk, the small "O'Sheas Irish Bar" just off the marina next to a crepe shop is really nice, the staff are very welcoming and friendly. Keep an eye open for the nest of a white stork on the roof of a disused apartment building near Mcdoanalds, its been coming back for years apparently. The staff at the Rio are very nice, and I suppose it must be hard to do repairs to the apartments when they charge so little. We went for a quiet relaxing week and to be fair we did do a lot of relaxing, mainly because we couldn't really find that much to do. Definitely not a great area if you have children. If you go then a hire car is a must, and if we do ever go back then a car would be at the top of our extras list.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view as the garden view rooms don't get any sunshine
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

was at this appartment very damp cold diffent colours all over would never go back couldnt get sumthing to eat at hotel or anywhare neer son was so board he was steeming up windows to play games so if any body was looking to go a holiday to portugal i would not recomend this hotel at all go somewhare different

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Just back from 2 weeks at the Rio apartments. On arrival make sure you have a phone with you as the receptionist isnt always on site. When she arrived approx 15 mins she gave us our keys & wished us a nice stay. When we opened the apartment door we were quite shocked that we had been given a 2 bed apartment rather than 1, it was clean, very spacious & with a well equipped kitchen so happy days.
It is a bit of a walk to get to the Marina etc, not a problem to us as that is what we do on our holidays. The beaches are clean & lots of places to explore if you dont mind walking a lot.
Vilamoura is a very green resort with a small park & tree lined walkways & if you go to the beach at the right of the Marina the walk along the top of the hills is lovely.
Our last day at the apartments was going to be a be a bit of a nightmare as checkout was at 11am & our transfer wasnt until 5pm, I asked at reception if we could have a room till 5pm & it wasnt a problem & free of charge.
The hotel was quite empty all the time we were there & the bar was shut. Cant comment what its like the rest of the year but it didnt bother us anyway. The one thing it could do with is a wifi connection, just because of its location as we didnt want to take a netbook all the way to the Marina just to check e-mails etc.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Me my mum, borther and my mums boyfriend al went to rio last summer. It was very enjoyable. When we got there the room we payed for was double booked but we offered a larger apartment which was huge! They had a small poola nd a medium pool which when busy was very cramped. The area was great though, the supermarket in walking distanc and bar and restaurant on the site. The food was pretty good in the restaurant and we met people who moved to the area and they said the hotels bar was the best one in the area they had been to. When we got the room it was very clean but one of the sofas was broken and unlike they said it was never fixed during our visit! The marina and beach could be walked but takes around 20 minutes and very cheap in a taxi! So great trip and the place opposite a little chippy thing with chicken being cooked!

Room Tip: The larger suites are very big and a large balcony!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
renfrew
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We have returned to these apartments time and time again over the last 10 years. we have stayed in five star hotels all over the world but haven't been back to any of them.

If you a want a clean, safe base in Vilamoura with a restaurant/ snack bar on site , this wee gem is for you. The marina is a good 30mins stroll away but its a pleasant walk.
we pay about £500 for ten days , flying from Glasgow or Prestwick for 2 adults which is pretty good I think. The staff in the restaurant Louis and Isabelle are hard working and the food is brilliant , big jugs of sangria go down a treat too.
Give this place a try , you wont be disappointed !

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at the hotel on the 26/12/12 when arriving I had to wait 20 minutes for the women working in the hotel to arrive and give me my room once I now had the keys I went to my room which wasn't that bad basic but ok for a 5 night stay there was a microwave and oven which was lite by matches which was quite dangerous and scary as the matches given were small there was also a microwave and a toaster no sign of a kettle which I was given after asking a few times on my day of arriving and having my keys I was then told by the lady working in the reception that she was not going to be there until tomorrow so meaning that I would have to finding my way around the area myself and i had never been to portugal the next day she still did not arrive on the 3rd day and the days after that she was only there from 9-12 and that was no help at all like living in a flat by yourself the restaurant was shut so we had to look for somewhere to eat which was hard to find but in december I could understand that .I had no map so had to find attractions myself once i had found the marina after 25 minutes looking it was a lovely scene and loads of restaurant and things to do but so expensive a steak was 22 euros and beware of some of the restaurants they charge you for bread they bring it over telling you nothing about it you assume it's for free and no matter If you don't eat it you still get charge 5 euros for it so turn them away if you don't want to pay 5 euros for just putting it on your table. I only stayed here for 5 nights and what I can say is area nice but expensive hotel basic and left all by yourself restaurant closed and pool as well must close in december even though hot but not told by owner who works in the reception rooms ok no English tv channels if you want a quick get away this is ok for it's money only paying 450 for me and my partner but for a 1-2 weeks holiday I wouldn't even dare and the Portuguese are very rude and stuck up !!! So beware and maybe rethink!

• Stayed December 2012
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The double accomodation is a pull out bed with a mattress as thin as pancakes. The food is average. Costs were ok. We booked having looked at reviews that said its not too far from the marina and front - it's at least a 25 minute walk which we would do in the evening when it was cooler but during the day it has to be a taxi run - at 6 euros this might not seem much but given there is nothing at all around the hotel it was a lot over 7 days to expect to pay to and forth. theres little room by the pool, its not a big complex but some had to lie on towels on the grass, they simply dont provide enough loungers. I would not go back. I had a nice holiday but thats because i made it that way. Do not stay here if you want entertainment and atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rio Apartments? Share your experiences!