“Decent hotel, although no frills” 4 of 5 stars

Dom Pedro Marina
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Tivoli, Lote H4, Vilamoura 8125-410, Portugal   |
Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Vilamoura
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Decent hotel, although no frills”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Not long back from a nine night stay at the Dom Pedro Marina in Vilamoura with my wife and found the hotel to be spotlessly clean and the staff extremely friendly at all times during our stay.

Reading some of the reviews on here, I couldn't decide if we were booking into the London Ritz or a flea pit youth hostel such were some of the extremes in the reviews. For me though it's a decent four star hotel, with everything you'd expect from a four star hotel, albeit there's no frills attached.

The pool area is really nice and we always found a sun bed anytime we wanted, although admittedly we usually did come down not long after breakfast when we knew they'd be easy to locate. Can see where the comments are coming from though regarding the reserving of sun beds. Saw on a number of occasions sun beds being reserved in the 'prime' locations around 9.30 or 10.00am and the people disappearing and not returning until mid afternoon. Think the management could do more to control that personally, even just a sign saying beds being left for 30mins or more unused will have the towels removed.

Can't believe some of the comments on here regarding the breakfasts. We've stayed in at least six different hotels in various resorts in the Algarve and breakfast choice at the DPM easily exceeds any previous stays. On each day, there were at least five choices of cereals, five or six choices of fresh (and tinned?) fruits, four juice choices, a wide and varying selection of cooked items with at least two different types of eggs each day, a selection of cold meats and cheeses and a selection of breads, pastries and cakes. That's more than enough for me!!

We had a six floor balcony room overlooking the marina with a view which took in the adjacent Tivoli hotel, the marina and the sea in the distance and also provided us with cracking views of the sun setting each night.

My one slight gripe about the hotel room, and it's a fairly common one at that from a number of hotels we've stayed in, in the Algarve, are the beds aren't the best.

We didn't have any issues ourselves regarding the noise coming from the nearby nightclubs until the night before we we due to fly home. There was a nightclub the FAR side of the marina around the main marina office building which was so extremely loud at 4.20am it was preventing us from sleeping. We opened our balcony doors to hear exactly loud it was and couldn't believe what we were hearing...it was as if our neighbours were blasting out Ministry Of Sound CD's at full volume...unreal!!

Obviously this is out of DPM's control, but you'd think something could be done from a local government point of view.

Anyway to sum up, decent hotel, decent food, spotlessly clean with extremely friendly and helpful staff throughout.

...and they make a mighty fine Mojito!

Cheers.

Room Tip: Ask for a high balcony overlooking the marina.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerDPM, Manager at Dom Pedro Marina, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing Dom Pedro Marina Hotel.

We were delighted to know that you had an excellent stay with us.

Regarding the sun beds in the swimming pool, we do remove the towels. Clients are informed that it can not be reserved and in the Services Directory in the rooms we also have that information.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Girvan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Dom Pedro Marina for a week. Aug 4 - 11. We could not fault the service from the staff. Very friendly. Room was adequate for our needs. Dom Pedro is an excellent central base for booked trips as the bus stop is right outside the hotel. Will be back. Highly recommend Purobeach an oasis. I have said children's activites are poor but to be honest. I could see a pool table and I think the tv had games on it. Please do not let that put you off staying at the hotel. I can only highly recommend it. Both for families and adults.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a sea view. Yes you can see the sea just from the first floor over looking the poo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ManagerDPM, Manager at Dom Pedro Marina, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Dom Pedro Marina Hotel and for sharing your kind opinions regarding your recent stay with us.

We were delighted to know that you had an amazing stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kind Regards
West Midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked a two week break at the Dom Pedro and were not disappointed at all! The location is ideal, about 5 mins from the beach. The room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was decent with hot and cold options. It was hard to reserve as sun bed at the hotel so we decided to go to the beach. We found the sun beds expensive on the beach (20Euro a day) so we purchased some parasols and mats in a nearby shop. Worked out well as the beach was amazing! The marina is also nearby with plenty of various cuisines. Someone we met recommended that we try one of the squares just off the marina and we found some lovely places to eat! We did try a few day trips to Lagos etc and although the prices were reasonable we did not find that the time we spent there worth the trip sadly. Although, the trips to Albufieria was near and worth our time. Overall, I would definitely recommend the Algarve for all types of travellers. The scenery, people and food were all fabulous!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing Dom Pedro Marina Hotel.

We were delighted to know that you had an excellent stay with us.

Newton le Willows
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We have just had our first decent nights sleep after returning from a week at this hotel IN A FAMILY RESORT. So I'll give you all a strong warning. Look through my other reviews, I don't whine, but I don't do sleep deprivation well either after paying a lot of money to stay at a standard hotel.

The staff are excellent, room is as expected, balcony small but adequate, clean, entertainment poor (except the Jazz/Pop pianist on Wednesday, but plenty to see/do on the Marina anyway). Breakfast was poor, so we ate in a cafe just across the road. If you want to drink anything out of the minibar replace it from a shop over the road. They do miniatures everything, before the minibar Police come.

Right, anyway, so we stayed in a third floor seaview room, which is directly facing the main road and the one way system. We paid more for the privilege of doing this, as we both work very hard and needed to be guaranteed a good break and relaxation. I think they sometimes refer to this type of this as 'a holiday', but with the added sleep deprivation, I'm not entirely sure we didn't just go on a Red Cross mission to Afghanistan.

Portuguese youth pour from one particular nightclub which is owned by Cristiano Ronaldo's brother and is subcontracted out by the neighbouring Tivoli hotel. This happens at 5am through to 7am when the club finally closes. As you can imagine, they come out at all ages, in a bit of a state. There is no policing, crowd control or security provided, they just would not get away with it in Britain, and that's saying something. The footfall out of there has been directed through the district of the hotel, and closed through the Marina, because multi-million pound permanently birthed yachts were leaving because of the noise disturbance, so it's now the tourists that have to deal with it.

The idiots proceed to scream obscenities, chant football songs, and fight throughout the morning whilst wenches proceed to get the men to fight for them. This is not just a Friday or Saturday night, it's pretty indiscriminate and can and did happen on every single night we were there. I've attached one particular photograph of one wench screaming while two teenage chimpanzees windmill in.

So in order to combat this, I gave the opportunity for the hotel staff to sort it. I spoke to the Police personally to sort it, and I also attended the Tivoli Hotel and asked them to sort it. The general reaction was 'the owner has too much money so we can't'. It makes me even more angry just thinking about it. I would rather have had the money burnt in front of my face than put my worst enemy in this room for a week. Anyway, I can't say I didn't try my best for everyone, and I mean the HUNDREDS of people complaining around this area of Vilamoura EVERY DAY.

Oh, we were offered a room change, apparently it's quieter overlooking the bins at the back of the hotel.

I'd never go back here again, they've managed to turn a family resort into a mini-Kavos. Good luck.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.

I was truly disappointed to learn that your experience was not in keeping with your expectations and I would like to inform you that I am always available to speak with the clients and listen their suggestions. You could had have a word with me and together find a solution to make your holidays more pleasant and also to find out why you say the breakfast was so poor (???). But instead you preferred to be totally destructive on the internet.

Anyhow I would like to have you again as our guest so we could change your opinion.

Just one last thing, I would like to inform that we do not have any rooms overlooking “the bins”.

Mexborough England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife and I decided to join some family who were staying at the hotel, I had no preconceived thoughts having stayed in the past at the other Dom Pedro, the Ampallius and the Tivoli Marine Hotel.
On Arrival, we were early, the staff were,helpful, friendly and professional. We had a room on the 5th floor overlooking the pool, it was clean reasonably spacious, clean bathroom, although a little dated it was good. The balcony is small with 2 chairs and a small table, perhaps too small and the room felt slightly dark. The beds were good and the linen seemed to be changed daily. The towels are the usual small and with two showers or baths per day, not enough. The room wasn't well lit, and who decides were to put power points, there are never enough and the few they have are always in the wrong spot. There was a fridge with a few drinks and a safe ( you need a dongle from reception). The breakfast had a good variation, fried eggs, always hard and greasy bacon, the bar service was good and a reasonable choice of lunch food.
Overall the staff were excellent, the position is good the pool is adequate and sitting area is ok. The downside was, about 6am every morning there seems to be an outpouring, either from a club or the casino, there is the usual noise, despite the double glazing it did wake me each morning. This isn't the fault of the hotel but is a factor

Room Tip: Pay the extra if you want better but better is only another sitting room and an extra balcony
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ManagerDPM, Manager at Dom Pedro Marina, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for choosing Dom Pedro Marina Hotel.

I will make sure that the staff receives you compliments.

We will take in consideration your suggestions and hope that in your next visit you will find everything at your convenience.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed at the Dom Pedro for a week and found the staff extremely helpful and friendly. Our room was basic but very clean, with a sea view which was great! We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis but ate in the hotel's restaurant on a couple of occasions and thought that the food was better than some of the restaurants in the marina. The location of the hotel is very good, being close to all amenities. The only downside would be that there are not enough sunbeds or parasols for the number of guests staying in the hotel, I would think that this is something which could (and should) be easily rectified.

Room Tip: Book a room with a sea view on one of the higher floors.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
ManagerDPM, Manager at Dom Pedro Marina, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for you for sharing your opinion and for choosing Dom Pedro Marina Hotel.

I will make sure that the staff receives your compliments.

It will be a pleasure to have you as our guest again.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Have just spent a lovely ten night stay at the Dom Pedro Marina. The hotel is in a good location close to the beach and marina and although close to the road no disturbance from local traffic. A short walk to neighbouring Quateira. Like other travellers was disturbed early mornings by revellers from nearby night club. The staff were friendly and helpful and rooms spotless with towels changed daily. Food was more than adequate with a good choice for breakfast and dinner. Despite certain guests trying to discredit the food by loudly videoing the dining room,which only served to make staff and guests feel uncomfortable and make themselves look silly. Overall a great holiday thank you Dom Pedro Marina.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and for choosing Dom Pedro Marina Hotel.

Your generous comments, regarding our staff and food are very welcome. On behalf of the whole team, thank you very much.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards

Manager

Been to Dom Pedro Marina? Share your experiences!