“Not excatly relaxing !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tivoli Victoria

Save Saved
You added Tivoli Victoria to your Saves list
Tivoli Victoria
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Av dos Descobrimentos No 0, Vilamoura 8125-309, Portugal   |
Ranked #4 of 35 hotels in Vilamoura
Newmarket, United Kingdom
“Not excatly relaxing !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Booked this 5 star luxury hotel in january this year, really excited about going and looked on trip advisor for reviews. All looked fab and could not count the days quick enough before we got there on 21st April for 1 week in a Golf course view room, breakfast included
When we arrived our room was not ready and we were told to go and have breakfast which was not included for the first day and cost £35 for both of us. When room was ready we were taken upstairs and shown room that had a view of waste land not golf view unless your moved over the balcony to your right. I said not happy with room and asked it to be changed. This took several hours and as we had been up since 02.30hours that day we were very tired. Room changed about 3pm and it was fab , so all good. Our holiday was great until the thursday lunchtime when we were invaded by 300 conference delegates for a medical 4 day seminar!. They took over hotel, noise in evening from outside our room , trying to get in and pushing bell , then screaming in corridor. I reported this to reception and was seen by manager who gave us voucher for restaurant , very apologetic and seemed concerned that we were not impressed. We had meal which was fab at the time. Later that evening the 300 delegates had a disco that started at 10.30pm and lasted until 0500hrs on the sunday ! so much noise, music so loud even with windows closed we could not sleep, and we had to be up at 0600hrs to get flight home.
When we went to reception to check out staff were apologising for behaviour of the conference guests, saying a lot of young ones this year and some tried to get in pool too !. We could not have breakfast as too early and was given packed lunch, even though we had paid for breakfast in our holiday package. I had felt very ill and sick that morning and by the time our flight took off i was sick the whole journey home and was taken to the front of plane by staff who were very good. I was so ill i had to be taken off plane by wheelchair as could not walk due to food poisoning. So upset that our first holiday in nearly 2 years was not the relaxing, chill out 5 star hotel that we had booked and wanted. The rooms and cleaniness were great, but having a conference and not telling your guests to brace themselvesfor an extra 300 people is pretty bad customer service

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking pool good as are golf course view, but insist as we upgraded when we booked and th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

581 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We arrived Wednesday the 24th April to the fabulous Tivoli Victoria. We got in at 10pm and had to rely on the room service which we knew was going to be expensive but there was NOTHING else available unfortunately!
Breakfast every morning is beyond 5 star. Absolutely amazing. Hydropool/Turkish baths are also fab but price of some of the treatments was extortionate, we thought. Everything, actually, is ridiculously priced but I suppose they have a certain clientèle and like to keep it that way.
Buildings and surrounding views are excellent, outdoor pool is beautiful and the entire hotel is very tastefully decorated. Our room was comfortable, airy, cleaned daily, absolutely no complaints.
We did have 2 terrible experiences however.
1) The Saturday of our trip we decided to eat in the downstairs restaurant, however it was completely booked out for a Bioware conference and we were not in the mood for more bar sandwiches so decided to venture over the the Golf course having read here that the food was nice. We were unfortunately met by an unbelievably rude and dismissive waiter who told us we would not be served wearing what we were wearing. I was wearing a full length dress while my partner was dressed the same as the other golfing guests. We were mortified and absolutely disgusted. No apology, just down right disgusting narrowmindedness.
2) We ran up a room service bill of about €200 during our stay. At checkout we proceeded to pay by card which had worked fine all over Vila Moura during our stay. Both mine and my partners debit cards were declined by the system as well as my partner's mastercard. Honestly, another mortifying experience and we were informed the nearest ATM was 10 minutes car ride away. We had to pay for a taxi to take us to the town centre and return us before our transfer bus drove off. Ridiculous that a 5 star resort does not have an ATM on site for matters like this.

Other than that the hotel was beautiful and was a steal at this time of year. Bring plenty of cash if you don't plan on going into Vila Moura, a day of eating will cost you at least €50 per person-and that's just for 2 sandwiches and 2 bottles of water! I also plan on taking my complaint of the golf club further! Don't think I would stay here again... until I win the lotto! ;)

Room Tip: All rooms fab with a great view every angle. Any room will suffice any taste!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I am a real Portugal lover and a regular, this year we decided to try something different. We spent ages fondly looking at websites to settle on where to go, we are 3 adults and 2 children (3 generations) kids under 12 and grandparents over 70 so the criteria was very demanding, we needed an indoor pool as we were travelling over Easter break, quiet surrounds to sleep and relax, good local restaurants and clean spacious accommodation - we did not want a hotel room - we find the children like to eat ad lib and we like the option to self cater. We happened upon the Residence at the Tivoli Vicoria Hotel, we arrived at Faro Airport the transfer was around 25 minutes, on arrival at 11pm at the accommodation we were welcomed and shown to our room, I even asked reception for a litre of milk for the tea and a couple of litres of water and this was no trouble, I later found out you can have a welcome pack ordered in advance and placed in your room. We entered the Apartment and it was beautiful we had reserved a 2 bed apartment for 4 persons and we decided to see if that would be sufficient or would we have to upgrade to a 3 bed. There are 3 floors with 3 apartments on each floor in blocks with a Moorish look very tasteful overlooking, pools, playground, platza, and golf course - dont let the golf put you off the Residence is perfect for everyone. The apartment was like a 5 star hotel everything you could ask for 3 tv's with English channels, 1 bath and 1 shower room, large double and a twin room, kitchen, living/dining area and 2 balconys - as we had an extra child, we were lucky the apartment we had B22 had a spare child matress under the couch and it fitted perfectly in the twin room so we all had pleanty of space - the 3 bed apartment was approx euro70 extra a day.

We had ate light meals Club Sandwich/baguettes/chips etc at the pool snack bar and the friendliness of the staff and cleanliness throughout was wonderful. You have full access to the Tivoli 5 star Victoria Hotel a 3 minute walk away and the Spa there was wonderful the Spa is only available to over 16 years of age. Every where we went we were met by the wonderful warm and friendly Portugese people. There is a transfer to the Marina at Villiamoura and Taxis range from 8-15euro. We hired a car for the middle 3 days and ventured to Alvor a quaint fishing village an hour away, Portiamao (Aqua Shopping Mall) I recommend it, driving is easy, locals are patient and you get to see the real Algarve. We will be back to the Residence. Dinner out and general cost of living was great value for money and there was something to suit all tastes. Dont forget you have access to the sister hotels facilities at the Marina and it has pool and access to the beach at villamoura

Room Tip: Blocks A B and C are all close to the playground, pools and snack bar so may not suit older persons...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

In one word. - Outstanding. The cleanliness is fantastic. Room cleaning twice a day. The vilamoura marina is 10 minutes drive away (free shuttle buses thrice a day). The restaurants are really good. There are some fantastic towns nearby. There is a smaller town nearby http://www.quarteirauncovered.com/ with good restaurants. More reasonably priced than the Marina restaurants. Really enjoyable place. Worth a visit. Will definitely visit again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed here with our 4 month old daughter for two weeks! - the Staff were friendly, professional and couldn't do enough to make our stay happy and comfortable!!! Well done :-)
The room was second to none, we had a proper cot, baby bath and everything we needed for our baby. It was clean, spacious and modern deco, even the tv channels to have lots to choose from and were in English.
The food was great and there was lots of variation, they found out I was vegetarian and the chef was happy to make up what I liked -thank you :-)
There was a heated pool for the kids, which was nice. The hotel has a bus going to and from the marina several times a day, which was great, we used the bus 4 or 5 times!
Overall, I would rate the Tivoli as a 5 star plus, we loved this place and are looking forward to go back, every penny was worth it - it's also a hotel that other hotels can learn from too ;-) Thank you and well done to all the staff for the best ever holiday :-)

• Stayed September 2012
Lisbon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed at Tivoli Victoria with my partner for one night on the 17th March, room 163. The hotel opened in 2009 and covers a large area, although it has just 2 floors above ground and another lower floor towards the golf course side. The hotel is in a very quiet area, a bit in the middle of nowhere, far from the beach and from Vilamoura. There are several apartment blocks next to the hotel (2 or 3 storeys high), I’m not sure if all of them are part of the Victoria Residences complex. We couldn’t see any restaurant or bar in the area.
The main feature and the hotel’s main attraction is the huge golf course; in fact, it looked so big to me that I had doubts if this was one or several golf courses.
This being a 5-star hotel, I would expect an outstanding service and facilities, to match a tighter “assessment filter”. My impressions are a bit mixed:

Things I thought could be better:

- The check-in was a bit lengthy, despite I had a reservation from Booking.com, but maybe because it was our first time there. I was asked to pay immediately the accommodation, as per hotel rules. Later, I realized that I had been charged € 2 more than the price stated on my reservation. The explanation given by the receptionist was that this was a Carbon Tax! No big problem about that, but I would have appreciated that this was explained to me before paying and not after I enquired. Also, I should have been asked if I would like to pay this tax; apparently, this is not a compulsory tax and the receptionist said she would credit it back to our account, if we wanted so.
- Free Wi-Fi is available in the common areas, through Victoria network, but it’s unavailable in the room. Wi-Fi is indeed available in the room through Tivoli network, but at a cost of € 15 per 24 hours. This was a complete shock to me! Not only I find this unacceptable for a 21st century 5-star hotel, but also there was a clear disagreement with the room details shown on Booking.com’s reservation, where it was clearly stated that internet access was included in the room rate! I looked and I couldn’t even find an internet cable connection in the room. I asked for an explanation and the receptionist said that it is usual for Booking.com to provide the wrong details and that I could have Wi-Fi in the room only if I paid. I don’t know if Booking.com gets it wrong or not and from where does it get the room details. All I know is that I would expect a 5-star hotel to fulfill the reservation conditions and make necessary adjustments with their provider, Booking.com. I consider it poor service to make the client “pay” for inconsistent information between the hotel and one of their partners.
- Another issue with the reservation was the mention to the Nespresso machine. I found this misleading, although formally true. The room details state “features IPod stand and Nespresso machine”. Would you assume, like I did, that the Nespresso machine was to be used free of charge? It’s not; capsules cost € 2! Still a better deal than the € 3 you pay for coffee at the bar. Also, I couldn’t find any IPod stand (maybe there is one, indeed, only not clearly visible).
- We had some snacks at the bar and ordered two glasses of wine. The waiter brought us two glasses with wine, instead of bringing the bottles and pouring the wine in front of us, as you would expect anywhere, particularly in a 5-star hotel;
- A quick safety suggestion: being a cold winter's day and the spa being much warmer than outside, there was heavy condensation on the large windows, which were literally dripping water. Condensation had formed also on an electric socket, which was covered in water drops. It's questionable enough to have any electric socket in the spa's swimming pool area and this one in particular could make for a “shocking” experience. Why not install electrical sockets with a protective lid? Simple, cheap and safer.
- Upon arrival, our amenities were just a small bottle of liquid soap. We had to mention it at the reception and this was promptly corrected (two sets of shower gel, shampoo and body lotion, plus two soaps);

Things I liked, to end on a positive note:
+ Welcoming reception, professional, although we got a better experience on check-out;
+ Snacks at the bar are big and very tasty. We shared a huge sandwich club and a very nice grilled baguette with goat cheese and red onion compote;
+ the room was big, very bright and gorgeous, with separate wc and bidet area, open bath and walk in shower area, walk-in closet, big comfy bed, spotlessly clean. The bath area can be closed using big sliding panels that are covered with floor-to-ceiling mirrors on the bathroom side. Cute!;
+ The spa area is restricted to over 16s and has a really relaxed, peaceful atmosphere. Wonderful view to the golf course;
+ The bed and pillows are AMAZING!! They’re fluffy and comfortable and will give you a perfect night sleep;
+ Excellent sound proofing;
+ Restaurant Emo is a delight. We had the Portugal Restaurant Week menu, a delightful 3 course dinner at an accessible price (€20 per person, a bit more with drinks, €35 in our case). However, prices from the a la carte options are high. So, despite the tasty, creative, imaginative dishes and the outstanding service, particularly from the very nice and knowledgeable head-waiter, this may end up being poor value for money. Again, the service at the restaurant is definitely very good;
+ Breakfast was very good, with lots of choices, including omelets made to order;
+ Staff in general was very friendly and attentive, particularly so at the breakfast room.

So, in summary, what can I say? I have mixed feelings about my experience at Tivoli Victoria. 5-star is not just about decor or comfort, it's also about service and attention to detail.
Service by the staff is generally good and meets the expectations, but things can be improved on what the service “agreement” between hotel and client is concerned. This is not a cheap hotel and clients come here looking for the best or, at least, what was agreed. The hotel’s relationship with their providers or partners is not the client’s concern.
Would I stay here again? If you’re a golf “addict” or if you’re looking for a place in which you can “disconnect” from the outside world, this is indeed a great place. As for myself, I prefer hotels that provide general free Wi-Fi access, or at least internet access, especially those hotels in which there isn’t much to do at or around them; I think this is a ‘must’ nowadays, like having TV or telephone access in the room, and even more so as the number of stars increases.

As for Booking.com, I will keep on trusting the information they provide is in accordance with the one provided by the hotel and that any disagreement should be solved to the client’s benefit and later settled between the hotel and Booking.com.

• Stayed March 2013
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great hotel, good food and very helpful staff.
Just spent a month here at a business event held through Feb and beginning of March. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Everything clean and tidy and excellent choices for food at every meal. Mainly a golfers hotel but plenty of space to relax by the pools, You are along way from the beach.
Not sure if it would be a place I would choose for a holiday but standards are very high.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Tivoli Victoria? Share your experiences!