“Somewhat quirky and remote, but overall a fine stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Beatrix

Save Saved
You added Grand Hotel Beatrix to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Beatrix
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Badhuisstraat 2 - 10, 1783 AK Huisduinen, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Huisduinen
Aberdeen, Scotland
“Somewhat quirky and remote, but overall a fine stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

This hotel is located on the seafront on the outskirts of Den Helder. Most people will arrive in Den Helder by train, and it's a 10 Euro fare to the hotel from the train station or about 25 minutes on foot.

My room was located on the first floor, which involved climbing up two sets of stairs, going through a door, and then going back down another two sets of stairs. This arrangement isn't the easiest if you have a few bags and a suitcase. The key for the room is attached to a heavy metal keyring which is slightly too bulky to fit comfortably in a trouser pocket, and you have to lock the room door when entering or leaving the room - the doors don't automatically lock.

The room was modern and clean, with a small balcony giving a great view of the red iron lighthouse which dominates the local skyline. The lightswitch as you enter the room only seems to switch on a single light, and after that it's a case of switching on various lamps around the room to get enough light to read with. There wasn't the usual "welcome" folder in the room, giving details of the hotel facilities etc, but the lady on reception was helpful enough in answering my questions. The double bed appeared to be two single beds joined together, and the duvet was actually two singles that overlapped in the middle.

On a previous trip there was a small bistro/bar to the right of reception which also served tasty food and drink, but on this visit, only the upmarket fine dining restaurant was available due to "renovation work". The fine dining restaurant serves a limited range of very well prepared dishes, with seasonal local ingredients (mostly seafood). The prices reflect the high standards, so don't expect any change from 60 Euro for a 3 course meal with a glass of wine or a couple of beers. The waiters/waitresses were cheery and very helpful.

Breakfast is actually served in the bistro bar next to reception, and consists of a choice of cereals, breads, cold meats and chesses, yoghurts, fruit, plus some scrambled eggs and bacon.

A high percentage of the hotel's clientelle appear to work in the offshore oil and gas industry who start work early. This means you are aware of doors being opened and closed from around 6am, and by 8am there wasn't a great selection of breakfast remaining as some items had ran out and weren't replenished.

If the fine dining restaurant isn't to your taste or budget, then I would recommend the Nodal Wiedus restaurant about 200m from the hotel, located on the top of the dyke with excellent views over the sea (arrive early for a window seat). The menus are in Dutch only, but the friendly waitresses are happy to translate and provide advice.

Checking out of the hotel was quick and efficient, and the bill was accurate despite me not signing for any food or drink during my stay.

Pros: Clean, comfortable rooms, great location for seaside walks, friendly staff
Cons: Limited dining options, average breakfast, quirky, a bit isolated, wind noise throgun balcony window.

I would happily stay there again

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Having frequented this establishment on numerous occasions it just seems to get better with each visit.The food presentation,taste,seasonal variety, local produce(Texel lamb,tiny shrimp and fish ),is just outstanding. The restaurant and its staff cannot be surpassed by anything within 100 kilometres, the hotel and its rooms are of an excellent standard.The location is right on the seafront in a quiet area,and would be an superb base for short strolls along the dyke to Den Helder or maybe catch the ferry across to the popular island of Texel

Room Tip: if it is possible, ask for a room away from the local Kerk as the clock chimes may well interrupt yo...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

We completely enjoyed our stay at the Grand Hotel Beatix. They gave us a fantastic family room (two rooms next to eachother with and adjoining hall) and a third room nearby. Dinner in the restaurant upstairs was too upscale for my mac and cheese kids, but the manager was happy to refer us to a great kid-friendly place on the sea wall across the street. The pool was not large, but perfect for our needs. The hot tub was a big hit, as well. Included breakfast buffet was adequate, but not overwhelming. I could not get my Apple product to connect to the free high speed internet.

Warning, the place has more stairs than an Escher painting. If stairs are a problem, be sure to get a room near the lobby or elevator.

We found the rooms clean, well appointed, and comfortable. The hotel may have not been the cheapest choice on the mainland, but we found it well worth the money. Thank you!

Room Tip: Upper floors have a sea view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

Location was OK, but not reflected by the pictures
Service was OK, but not really fantastic

so Ok hotel, but did not meet my 150 euros a night for a remote place..

The restaurant is though impressive (lacks air conditionning). the food was excellent (even though pretty stright tastes). I definetely recommend (count 80 eur / person)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Huisduinen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

LOL, this place is not luggage friendly, there are multiple sets of steps up and down per hall., pack a shoulder bag. The rest of the experience makes up for it though. The view of the lighthouse ay night from 33s balcony is stunning to say the least.. You need look no further for your dinner either. I was served the best meal I have had in a long time (catch of the day) by a very pleasant waitress.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Southampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the last few years when working in Den Helder. Although I should point out that this hotel is not actually in Den Helder, but Huisduinen which is about 5km outside of the town. This is not too bad, but it does mean that you need a car to get about.

The rooms in the hotel are a little dated, but perfectly acceptable. They are always clean and tidy. The hotel does have a free wi-fi service, which is realiable and a lot quicker than others I have used at the hotel. However the big selling point is the food. In one word, it is excellent. When I stay at this hotel I always eat there. Just one minor thing, as an Englishman, I wish they wouldnt put such a big head on the beer, especially with the cost of it in Holland! If you do want to eat somewhere else, Nogal Weidus, which is a couple of minutes walk is good too.

The staff have always been helpful, friendly and attentive, with one exception. A couple of years ago I had to leave the hotel at 6am to get a flight from Amsterdam and went to check out then, only for the man behind the counter to complain saying that I wasnt supposed to check out after 9pm or before 7am. That would have been ok, assuming I had been told! However I have had no problems since then.

One thing that does take a bit of getting used to is the beds. The beds themselves are actually quite comofortable, but they are actually two smaller beds pushed together. I had adapted after the first night though.

Overall it is a good hotel, and I will be staying here again on my next visit to Den Helder.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Las Vegas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I found this hotel by driving around Den Helder.
I called regarding a room, received a price quote over the phone from Jessica.
I checked in, for a total of 3 nights. Jessica checked me in, after confirming in person the room quote. I was not given a copy of the check in statement.
That night, I went to the front desk to ask for a room on a higher floor. The front desk employee, Maurice explained the hotel would give me a nice room on a higher floor for the same price. Nothing additional was placed in writing. I was told the reservation rate would remain the same.
The next day, I was out of the hotel on important business, but my wife was in the room. The front desk advised her she had to move to the new room. Housekeeping placed all of our belongings in the floor outside, while my wife was trying to transfer our belongings to our new room. My wife received no help with the 7 heavy bags we had. The housekeepers blocked the use of the sole elevator, so she had to carry the bags by herself up the stairs to the new room.
After we were in the room for a few nights, I asked to extend the room, for another week. I spoke with the owner/manager, who guaranteed me the same room for 6 additional nights and with a possibility of having that room for the seventh additional night. He reviewed the computer system, confirmed my reservation and allowed me to stay in the room. Nothing additional was placed in writing. I was told the reservation rate would be the same.
On the sixth additional night, I went to the front desk and asked if the room was available for the 7th day. It was, so I stayed in the same room. This is now 1 night in the first room and 10 nights in the second room. Nothing additional was placed in writing. No discussion occurred regarding the reservation rate.
I requested another extension for 3 more days. That extension was granted. Nothing additional was placed in writing and no discussion occurred regarding the reservation rate.
On the 12th night, I was approached by the owner/manager of the hotel who told me that he did not have a credit card in the computer. Later, that same night, the same woman who checked us in the very first night advised me that she did not have a credit card on file. She asked for a card to put in the file. I gave her one. I asked her if she was going to charge the card. She said that she would not.
On the 13th night, Jessica tried to charge my card without my knowledge. I was supposed to stay for two more days and one more night. I asked her what the bill was and she told me she was charging me an amount of 70 euro more than the amount she initially quoted me. I went to the front desk and asked her for my check in paperwork. She could not find it. She spent about 90 seconds looking in a few places and refused to look for the paperwork any further. I explained to her that Maurice and others assured me that the rate would remain the same. She stated she would inquire of the others about this.
On the 14th night, I spoke with the manager who asked me what happened during my stay and what I intended to do about the bill. I explained the details of my check in and told him that all I wanted was a room on a higher floor for security reasons for my wife, since she would be in the room all day, the doors would be open all day (there is no air conditioning) and I would be working all day and leaving her alone. He said that he would review what happened and speak with me the next day.
The next day, he advised me on what turned out to be a 3200 euro bill, he would give me a "discount" of about 247 euro. He demanded I pay about 2,950,00 euro. In fact, the bill should have been 2100 euro total with taxes and a few items of food included. He advised that the discussion was over. and there was no other option, but to pay what he said to pay. He also stated that my wife demanded a suite, which was false. Neither my wife nor I ever made any specific requests, other than a room that did not have direct access to the outside, in other words a room on a higher level floor (th initial room on the ground floor level). Again, at that time, the hotel placed the reservation and clearly stated that there would be no increase in room rate. The fact that the check in paperwork was lost or not available is troublesome.
Further, what is also troubling, is that the hotel uses the "Golden Tulip" trademark displaying it on the room doors, various other places in the hotel and on products it distributes and implying that it is affiliated with the "Golden Tulip" corporation. However, it is not part of the "Golden Tulip" chain, as confirmed by the corporate office head quarters in Switzerland.
I asked the manager if he is part of the "Golden Tulip" chain and he stated he was not. I asked him why he is still using the trademark. He stated that "Golden Tulip" in the Netherlands is bankrupt. That is also false. I determined this fact from the corporate offices in Switzerland.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Huisduinen hotels

Been to Grand Hotel Beatrix? Share your experiences!