“Great for families” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Duinrell

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wassenaar
Duinrell
You added Duinrell to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Duinrell 1, 2242 JP Wassenaar, The Netherlands   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
fife
“Great for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We travelled with stena line on the overnight Harwich-Hoek sailings. Cabin for 5 was comfortable and well-equipped and the boats, launched in 2010 are very luxurious for a ferry - we actually looked forward to the return sailing rather than dreading it !
On the site itself we stayed in a rather tired mobile home with Keycamp and their very low-key staff.
Park itself is amazing for kids with free unlimited access to theme park and only 3.50 pp to visit the Tikibad and its amazing flumes - remember your passport photo for your pass though.
Holland great as ever -everything well-organised and people laid-back and helpful.
Would definitely return to Duinrell, especially out of season when theme park and pool not too busy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Polish first
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We booked with eurocamp and stayed in a 3 bed caravan with decking. I thought the caravan was alittle on the small side compared to the UK, but we did tend to spend most of the time on the decking. We went as a couple and also took our 2 dogs. There was plenty to do and we didn't have to leave the dogs out at all, the theme park even allows you to take the dogs around which was really handy. We visited alot of places out and about and only found one place that we coudn't take the dogs due to it still being classed as high season. We were pointed in the right direction where it was dog friendly. Wassenaar itself is only a few mins walk from the park and a nice walk out at night. The local vet was within walking distance also for our return trip. We traveled with P&O via Hull to Rotterdam, nice smooth crossing. We will be booking up again as is so much better value than going to a UK park and a lot more Dog Friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Following is detailed but very useful info:
My family booked a Vivaldi mobile home through Al Fresco in September 12. Travelled via Stenaline from Harwich to Hook of Holland by booking a double outside cabin. Its really worth paying few pounds extra and book an outside cabin as have full sea view- absolutely delightful. Loved the mini cruise. A very short 40min drive from Hook of Holland to Duinrell.

On arrival take second right to enter the Duinrell Theme park car park and then turn left at the end to get to the barriers. At the barriers tell them your mobile home booking details and they will let you in. As you drive in just a few yards on the left is the entrance to all various holiday home companies cabins. There you will be given details of your holiday home, keys will normally be inside the home which should be open for you. You will also be given a map of the park, a car pass to come into the holiday park and also individual entry passes to the Duinrell Theme Park. You can also ask the kind representatives about local attractions and transport options which they will give you details of. They all speak ENGLISH and are VERY POLITE so makes things very easy. DONT FORGET to take one passport photo each if you want entry to the Tikipool.

If going to Amsterdam for a day, its a 40 min drive to the P+R Sloterdijk. Charges are 8euro all day parking. Once parked go straight to the ticket office located in centre of the car park who upon showing your parking ticket will give you free train tickets into Amsterdam. The train to Amsterdam is only few minutes journey.

Hope you find this information useful and have a really nice trip. I would book with Thompson Al Fresco again and would definitley do all the above again as it was a very pleasant and enjoyable trip.

Room Tip: Vivaldi home is a three bedroom spacious home for stay up to 6 adults. Try to get a home closer to t...
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We did this with Sun holidays and to be honest wasn't expecting much, but were we surpised we had a two bed two bath Villa-grande, I'm disabled and use an electric scooter to get around they gave us a plot right by a parking space (other side of a hedge) which was perfect
The theme park wasn't packed as after school holiday in September 10th to the 15th
The mobile home was roomy and comfortable,they are quite well equipt, microwave, full cooker fridge freezer radio/ipod player(use at your own risk very dated) we took a lap top so took advantage of the the wi-fi and had also taken some dvd's to watch as no tv and we are not evening out people but this was great
There is so much to do and see in the area that we had more places than time we are going back next spring and are taking kids n grandchildren
I was in two minds wether to write a review as this place is a gem and would hate it to become too commercial as great the way it is.

Room Tip: take advise from park as lots of areas suitable for different styles of peoples needs
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Me and my family (2 adults, 3 children) booked through Keycamp, for the start of August. Included in the price was ferry travel from Harwich on the Stenna Hook of Holland line. When we arrived at the camp site which is a small travel from the port (about 1 hour), very well connected, I was impressed by the cleanliness of the park. Customer services were fantastic, they even showed us to the van. The van itself was one of their standard models, and to be fair was in good order, had bbq, table and chairs decking outside, sun loungers, clothes airer. The inside of the van was basic but clean, and the layout meant we had to spend time together as a family, the whole purpose of the holiday. The site has a plaza which is well equipped with a supermarket, one fast food restaurant , a pub and 2 sit down restaurant's both different cuisines, one a la carte. Now I must say, we did find food to be a bit pricey, but that's to be expected in Europe especially Holland, how ever having said that, it wasn't the kind of nosh you would find at home and actually was quite of a high standard. There was also a children's club at the plaza which we never got round to using unfortunately just to the fact that there was so much to do in the park.

The theme park itself was great, not your typical theme park back in the UK..Lots of green space, rides for everyone, clean and very safe, had a bit of charm to it in parts, and catered to all ages. We went there every day, and was a short stroll back to the site past the plaza, so everything was well thought out. My children aged 7, 3 & 2 always found something new and exciting to do at the park.

Unfortunately we never got to use the Tikki Pool, as we were too busy in the theme park, and I kind of assumed that the slides were for the bigger children, will have to visit that next time.

Near to the site a couple of miles down the road, a short drive or bus journey is a wonderful beach, Wassenaar beach. This beach was clean, large, safe and had lifeguards patrolling.

I couldn't of wished for a better place, just a shame we didn't have longer than 4 nights. Will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

After futilely trying to work out which of the chalet providers had the best location, we gave up and booked an Al Fresco Vivaldi Lux. Really please we did. IMO their location was the best, with more space between properties, and they're located at the top end of the mobile homes section, not far from the Plaza. Upon arrival my heart sank, as our chalet was close to the road and the Plaza, and we anticipated loads of noise, but it was fine! It may be a different matter during peak season, but certainly no issues early Sept - even when a couple of coachloads of teenagers arrived!

The chalet had three adequately-sized bedrooms, loo, shower room and a kitchen/dining/living space, all fine for us (two adults, a 3yo and a baby), but I can see why previous reviewers with older children found them cramped. I'd particularly recommend hiring a Vivaldi Lux cabin as the canopy meant we could still use the decking area on rainy days, which none of our neighbours could do.

Facilites onsite were great (bar La Place, which I'll come to). The supermarket didn't seem any pricier to us than the supermarket in Wassenaar, the theme park was brilliant - 3yo had the time of his life, takeaway pizzas scrummy, I nosed round the shower block, which was spotless, and the pool great fun.

We brought our own bikes and planned to hire a trailer for the baby, unfortunately, their trailers wouldn't fit our bikes, so I ended up hiring one of those too. We cycled the 9km to Schievengen, which is well worth a visit, unfortunately the bike was a nightmare, so despite planning to cycle several times, this was our only bike ride. The bike was slightly too big for me, but as they were trying to close for lunch, I didn't get a chance to try it beforehand (I know, I know, I should've stood my ground a bit!), and you had to pedal backwards to stop, which I'd never done before. We set off, and it became apparent that I couldn't stop or start without falling off! I thought I'd be laughing about it by now, two weeks later, but I'm not! Be warned!

La Place was the biggest disappointment of the week. We're big fans of the branches in V&D throughout the Netherlands, so were chuffed to see one at Duinrell. Unfortunately the choice was rubbish - seven bowls of slightly brown-tinged salad, pizzas (there's also the takeaway pizza place 30 steps away!) and an over-priced meat/fish grill. The service was sooooooo slooooooooowww I wanted to scream. We got a pizza from there one night, as the takeaway oven had broken down, and was amazed to see the staff completely preparing one pizza at a time, rather than a few - dawdle, dawdle, dawdle; the grill was no better another night, where my (admittedly tasty, if stone cold) steak took about 15 mins to still be rare! I was glad I was happy to eat it like that, but I know many people would've been upset. Of course, once you've waited a lifetime for your food, you have to queue up again to pay the world's slowest cashiers, hence why my steak was stone cold. I wasn't best pleased, unfortunately the staff couldn't care less, so do all you can to avoid La Place!

The price was an absolute bargain, so we're already planning to go again next summer, and it's so well located within the Netherlands, that there's ton of places we didn't get time to visit. In particular, would recommend Leiden, Utrecht and Madurodam. A brilliant place with kids!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Al_Fresco_11, Al Fresco Holidays Customer Service Team at Duinrell, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
I'm really pleased to hear you enjoyed the location of your mobile home on Duinrell and that you enjoyed your Al Fresco Holiday. We hope to see you again this summer, Kind Regards Al Fresco Holidays
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We have just come back from spending 5 days here staying in the Miffy Themed Caravan, the Miffy Caravan is great for kids as has play house outside lots of toys and the garden area is fenced in, one down side there is no gate on the decking as discribed on the web site and also listed in the book once you arrived so we had to make a gate out of the lounger, that aside it is very nice. There is one slight down side and that is as it is the only one on site at some point in your stay every person on site will have walked past your caravan and stopped to comment on it.

The park it self is great for kids whilst there are a couple of grown up rides I get the impression this is manily aimed at children 16 and under, the opening hours are very ridged and open and shut on the dot, that said you are still free to walk around the park of an evening and use the play areas which most people seem to do and is nice and relaxing.

The shops on Camp are very expensive so it is well worth a short walk over to the town to C1000 for your groceries and the gift shops there are also a lot cheaper for instance Clog slippers are 18 euros on site but in the gift shop in town the same ones are 10 euros so dont waste money.

Leiden is a nice shopping centre to visit with a outdoor market on a Tuesday where fruit and veg is cheap, this is only 10 mins max by car.

If you can try to visit the beach as this is very nice but full of bars and restuarnts but a nice beach none the less.

Tip if buying petrol most places dont take Visa only Mastercard, there was even one garage just past ALDI that wouldnt take cash for petrol so dont let yourself get to low.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Duinrell? Share your experiences!