“Service and food equally good” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 84 Restaurants in Valkenburg
Cuisines: Italian
Victoria, Canada
“Service and food equally good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We enjoyed a very fine Italian meal on the terrace of Il Forno this evening. Drinks were quick in arriving as was the food. We ordered two pastas and a pizza. Pizza was very good, as good as we had found most places in Italy. Pasta was also good, but not over-the-top wonderful. When we ordered one dessert, it was light and not over-sweet. What was wonderful were the beautiful, abundant, flavourful, variety filled "insalata misto" -- this is NOT your usual leaves and sliced tomato, but rather a very beautifully composed salad (and the dried tomatoes were out-of-this-world!) To top this off, the espresso was actually espresso ristretto, not the vastly lighter coffee which is usually served here in The Netherlands to fulfill an espresso order. At the end of the meal the server asked if we would like a limoncello -- which I've never had before and may never again, as it is very potent stuff. It walked and talked like a good Italian meal.

I do need to make special mention of the serving staff. My Italian and their English were vastly more fluent than my Nederlands, but we understood each other easily and with smiles all around. When it started to rain, we were quickly moved to a more sheltered table further under the awning. Most impressively, I watched the staff manage a very difficult couple (pushy and edging on rude) making very specific and complicated demands without even seeming to try to moderate their use of complex English. I think the staff managed to satisfy the demands in the end, and I was completely impressed with how the staff managed such a high level of professionalism and customer service (and this alone may have been why I said "yes" to that limoncello).

If you're not sure you want to eat Italian rather than Dutch in The Netherlands, but you've got that urge for pasta -- go for it here! Oh, and I should say the price was remarkably good with an extra round of drinks!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Schiphol, The Netherlands
“Great Pizza!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Visited this restaurant while on vacation in Valkenburg. With teenagers that wanted a big meal and something healthy we choose this place in the center of Valkenburg. As it was a real Italian restaurant the pizza was perfect and had a great selection to meet all of our tastes.
The prices were very much in line with other restaurants in the area. The homemade ( I am guessing) Tiramisu was wonderful and for the price came with sorbet and fresh fruit.

The interior of the restaurant was nicely done and the bathrooms were very nice.

I would recommend this one to anyone visiting in Limburg area.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Il Forno is located in the centre of Valkenburg and has a nice terrace. The personnel are all friendly and the food we had was very good. A pizza and an Italian meat dish, with an assortment of various meats and vegetables. The starters were also very good. Decent value. I see myself coming back here, if I visit Valkenburg again.

Visited July 2013