“Rude, Hot, Overrated” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Hoofddorp
Madison, Wisconsin
“Rude, Hot, Overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

When you book a hotel, you read reviews and look at ratings and then assume. "Ok, this place seems like it will be fine" This place is anything but fine. I don't know how other people had good experiences here.

The staff was incredibly rude to us our whole stay (with one exception). From the moment we walked in the door and checked in, the staff could barely be bothered to lift a finger to check us in. To the moment we left.

The listing mentions "Climate Control in Every room" This is a lie. There is a radiator and 1 small window that opens (in a 3rd story room). I hope you don't like sleep, because the hotel is on a fairly busy road, and if its warm and you have your window open, you will be hearing all of that road noise.

When we asked the person at reception for a fan we were told "I'll check and call up to your room" we never got a call, or a fan. When we asked for them to call a cab to pick us up, they looked at us like we were stupid. I don't know who this hotel is for, but obviously if you want to get to the airport in the morning, this isn't the place.

The pictures on their site and listings look reasonable, simple, and basic. In reality they are: shabby, threadbare, and grimy. The room wasn't dirty with surface dirt, just years of grime that needs to be renovated in order to get rid of it. The bed was tiny and lumpy.

The only good thing was the croissants, very fresh.

You can do better elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Hellevoetsluis, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My third stay at this hotel and once again I had a great stay. Check in was easy. I was greated in a very friendly manner which definitely makes you feel welcome. The room was large as was the ensuite bathroom ( shower , sink and toilet ). I found the room to be very clean. The downside was the soft mattress and the lack of airconditioning. Apparantly due to the lay of the building it is not possible to install this.
I had dinner at the on site restaurant. The menu has a lot to choose from and the food was good.
Right now they are expanding so there is some construction going on. I am not sure how much noise comes with it, because I stayed there during the weekend. But when booking a room you might need to consider this. If it is a warm / sunny day the rooms facing the road are very warm ( uncomfortable ). The rooms facing the car park are cooler but that's where the construction is going on.
The new rooms should be finished in January 2013 ( if I remember correctly ). The lady at the desk was not sure about possible renovations on the other rooms.
For those of you looking for a hotel near Schiphol airport, this hotel is a great option.
When back in Hoofddorp I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Look at the remarks I have made in the review.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights, based on its closeness to the town centre. The entrance hall is quite large and clean, leading to the main restaurant and bar.

Staff were friendly and efficient and made all the arrangements I had requested quickly and efficiently.

The room was not so good, very old decor a TV from the 1980's and without any airconditioning. A fan is provided, but I was facing the main road and with the windows open, it was noisy with a combination of road traffic and airline noise.

Worse to come was the bathroom. Very old and as I was on the top floor, had a sloping room, so almost impossible to take a shower properly.

• Stayed September 2011
Chalfont St Peter
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

In searching for an overnight place to stay, came across this pleasant hotel a few km from Schiphol. It's all that you would expect from a good Dutch hotel: clean, well appointed, but a bit quirky. This adds to its friendly charm. There's a pleasant terrace where a drink can be had and filing bar meals; breakfast the following day offered some of the best and freshest rolls and croisants that I've ever had.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I stayed here while visiting a friend in the town. The staff were friendly enough but the room was unbelievably tired. Worn carpet, old paintwork and the bathroom suite was ancient. They also had a shampoo dispenser on the outside of the shower so you had to step out to use it. Very odd. I also could not turn the heating off in the room so it was very hot all the time. At £120 per night excluding breakfast I was not very impressed.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel De Beurs? Share your experiences!