“Overcharged and Reception Staff not concerned” 2 of 5 stars

You added Bastion Hotel Schiphol/Hoofddorp to your Saves list
Bastion Hotel Schiphol/Hoofddorp
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Adrianahoeve 8, 2131 MN Hoofddorp, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Hoofddorp
“Overcharged and Reception Staff not concerned”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Have just spent 3 days at the Best Western / Bastion Schipol Airport whilst attending an event at RAI- used this hotel purely because of the location.

Immediately got off to a bad start when the amount reserved on the Credit Card did not include the tourist tax. The Receptionist took the full payment from the Card when we checked in, but when we went online later that night, the check-in payment had been taken, and the reserved amount was showing as unavailable. When questioning this, the Night Manager told us the reserved amount would be released within 30 DAYS. After various discussions with the Night Manager, he finally telephoned to confirm (after midnight) that the reserved amount would be cancelled, but it may still take 30 days to clear.

Totally ruined the break & makes me wonder how often this happens - the excuse that the reserved amount did not cover the bill seems odd as there are many occasions when the final payment has increased, especially if a Restaurant bill is added. Most companies have no difficulty in immediately reversing a payment or cancelling a reserved amount.

Apart from that, the room was OK, but had a few issues. 1. No hand soap was provided in the bathroom, so had to use the Bath gel to wash my hands. 2. Nearly slipped in the bath when getting out of the shower. 3. The cups were not replaced or washed, so were dirty when we got back in the evening. 4. The kettle did not have an on/off switch, so had to avoid the boiling steam to unplug it. 5. The mini-fridge did not work, so the fresh milk for the coffee went sour overnight.

Currently appear to be building / renovating the ground floor, so the security doors were wedged open & had to avoid wires all over the floor near the lifts - not good if you have reduced mobility or poor eyesight.

For a hotel from this chain, was extremely disappointed - it is not advertised as a Budget brand, but certainly felt like one - and from the lower end.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Schiphol/Hoofddorp, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear guest,

We have received your review regarding the Best Western Amsterdam Airport Hotel on Tripadvisor. However this review is placed at the Bastion Hotel Schiphol Hoofddorp, that is incorrect.

First of all we would like to apologize for the fact that the hotel did not meet your expectations.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

The Bastion Hotel Groep wants to offer each guest personal hospitality and a high level of service.

We are truly sorry and we hope you can accept our apologies.

Team Bastion Hotel Groep

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I had read a few reviews of this hotel about which most were unfavourable, however I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel. In order to reach the hotel you need to catch the free shuttle to the Bastion Deluxe/Best Western Hotels then catch a second, smaller shuttle to the Bastion, Hoofddorp. This I did not mind at all however each time I was going back to the hotel I had to ask which shuttle was for me. None of the drivers approached me to ask if I were going to Hoofddorp. There needs to be a halt sign so that the drivers know we are there.
The journey from the airport to hotel is around 30min so it is not too far although if you are planning to visit Amsterdam late into the evening you need to be aware of the last one. If you want to be in Amsterdam every day and late into the evening this hotel may not suit you.
On our arrival we were greeted very friendly by the staff and the check-in was smooth and easy.
The hotel is not large which is reflected in the size of the rooms. I stayed in room 30. Small but clean and tidy with a tv, kettle, fridge, shower, safe and a wardrobe.
The town of Hoofddorp is not very big but the shopping is!. It takes about 20mins to walk to the centre but it is worth it. If you are in Hoofddorp for a few days you should visit the town.
On my last day when I was going to the hotel I had to wait one hour (usually a half hour) but the driver had called in sick. I was impressed by the member of staff on reception that day as he offered to take me in his car if I was in a hurry. I did not mind waiting as I had four hours to catch my flight.
I have nothing but praise for the hotel and its staff and will certainly stay there again. I'm already planning my next trip there.

Room Tip: Even though the hotel is not far from the airport it is not under a flight path so nights are quiet...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Schiphol/Hoofddorp, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the positive comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

Widnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

If you are sightseeing in Amsterdam, know you are going to be late in town and just want somewhere to spend the night, then this is the hotel for you. Rooms are clean and comfortable, staff are pleasant and welcoming. It is very close to the airport, although I actually went by car I expect public transport to the area to be readily available. Highly recommended, I would use it again if I went to Amsterdam

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We booked this as it was very close to the airport as we were arriving from Thailand (11 hour flight) but we did not hear a plane once, which was brilliant, we felt like we were the only ones here. The shuttle bus was on time and we did not have to wait. The staff are very friendly and the room was comfortable. Clean sheets and comfy beds. We stayed for 3 nights and used the shuttle bus to the airport to catch the train into the centre of Amsterdam, the shuttle runs every half hour to and from the airport and the trains into Amsterdam run regularly and cost 4 euros. So if you do not want to stay in a very expensive hotel in Amsterdam and do not mind a little bit of travelling then this is a good alternative to some of those overpriced hotels. The bathroom could do with a rethink as the floor gets soaking wet.

Room Tip: Room 87 - no noise

Victoria BC Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel is close to Amsterdam Airport and is reasonably priced. The rooms are not fancy but clean and staff are excellent. The airporter bus is also great - we left our luggage there in the am and went to the Rijksmuseum for the day by taking the shuttle to the airport, the train to Amsterdam, and then reverse.

Robina, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This hotel was chosen on price & location near Schipol, so why would one complain?
It was a rainy day, we arrived early & were accommodated without issue.
Birthday, so did not eat @ the hotel but a more celubrious place Den Burgh then stopped for a drink @ the hotel bar before hitting the hay.
The meals coming out of the kitchen looked very good & plentiful. The plates were coming back empty & that says something positive.
We checked out breakfast & it also looked quite good standard hotel buffet style food. Having been on a 23 day river cruise before Amsterdam we had had enough of that style cooking & thought we would do better @ the airport....we were wrong.
There was quite a bit of noise during the night with late arrivals as we were located just off the hotel entrance/lobby, the room was clean with basic furniture & an ancient 17" TV flat screen.
You get what you pay for & around Schipol airport this hotel should be considered fair value.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the lobby enterancecarea
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Schiphol/Hoofddorp, responded to this review, October 16, 2013

bangalore, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Located about 10 km from Schipol, Bastion Hotel offers everything that one requires in an overnight pit-stop, in between busy work days:
i) decent breakfast
ii) very clean, decent sized rooms (largish for Europe)
iii) decent food
iv) considerate service.
Nothing is excellent except for the value which was amazing - Euro 74 including breakfast - can't be beat.

Room Tip: Insist on rooms on the ground floor (Ist floor in US terminology) as the hotel does not have an elev...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Bastion Hotel Schiphol/Hoofddorp? Share your experiences!