“Overnight at Schiphol” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 hotels in Hoofddorp
Hitchin, United Kingdom
“Overnight at Schiphol”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed for one night. Booked online for three people (two bookings) on check-in they could only find one booking, this was soon sorted.

Even though booked as a Best Western, the hotel is a Bastion hotel. Room was clean and satisfactory with all basic needs.

Ate in restaurant, not an extensive menu, but ok. Nice restaurant layout and bar area.

A very busy hotel serving the airport. The free shuttle bus was also a bonus. Cheap and cheerful, although not what I would call 4 star. Aircraft noise can be a problem if your a light sleeper.

Was charged 5 euros local tax, and for some strange reason was given 5 euros cash back on checkout.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at BEST WESTERN Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the positive comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

422 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
boise, id
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

It was okay for one night since I left the next day for USA. I got a lot of hall noise and of course you hear the airplanes . The bathroom did not have enough soap for one person but it was roomy.The shuttle service was good and easy to get to the airport.It did have a coffee maker, nice to have when you don't have time for breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Herndon, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

For a brief stop over, it was ok. The pool was nice, the steam room was broken, and the breakfast at 14 Euros was ok. I would caution you to bring soap. They leave two small tubes good for a shower a piece and no bar soap for washing hands.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The hotel was near the airport, had a nice breakfast and was not far from the town of Hooddrop. The shuttle could get you there, but just like anywhere else in the Netherlands just a short bike ride away.

They hotel was a bit dated in ways, but it was a good hotel and I would stay again if I needed to be close to the airport.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Bastion Hotel G, Owner at BEST WESTERN Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, October 8, 2013

Georgetown
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We had an early flight so we had to get the first shuttle (at 6:00 am) to the airport.
The night before the lady at the reception advised us to be 5 min before the departure time. Well, we were 15 min earlier in the hotel's lobby....There was line of other customers like us who wanted to take the first shuttle and only one guy at the reception who was trying to do the check-outs. Through the glass door we saw the shuttle waiting in front of the hotel (3 m away). At one moment we realized that the 6:00 am is approaching. The gentleman in front of us asked if the shuttle's driver will wait until we are also checked out. The receptionist went out and came back assuring us that the shuttle will wait....but NO! When we were done with the check-out (~6:10 am) the shuttle was gone. You can imagine the frustration between the customers who were left behind. What was more frustrating was the absolute detachment of the hotel's personnel (3-4 people) and the confusing answers on the question when is the next possibility to be taken to the airport. We had the stupidity to ask if the hotel can provide a taxi for us, but they laughed at our faces.Well, during a stay at Hilton, we were provided with a complimentary taxi to the airport (without even asking for it) because out flight was very early.
Other wise the hotel is very very basic and eating at the restaurant was a depressing experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at BEST WESTERN Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Following your review comments regarding our Best Western Amsterdam Airport Hotel we wish to take this opportunity and thank you for your time and effort to inform us of your stay. Your feedback is very important to us as this supports us to improve areas required to ensure we do exceed our guests expectations. Please do accept our apologies for the disappointing service that affected your enjoyment of your room and disturbing experience with one of our employees. Please rest assured that these topics are being evaluated with our management team.

The Bastion hotel group strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest and despite your unpleasant stay at our Best Western Amsterdam Airport Hotel we do hope to welcome you again in one of our other hotels.
Burlingame, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I reserved two rooms for one night stay and checked in on Thursday night while being welcomed rather unfriendly. We moved to our rooms and went to bed.
As I woke up in the morning, I found bite marks all over my body from bed bugs. After close inspection of the area and with day light, the real room came to shine. The room was simply disgusting! I don't think it has seen a vacuum cleaner for the last year or so. Electrical wall covers where ripped out of the wall, the night stands where fitly and dirty and the phone had some much dust on it, that it changed color from black to gray. The bathroom smelled like someone smoked in it for the last week.
When I asked to speak to a Manager, I was told only one of her co workers could help. I explained the situation and how serious it is. She advised her staff member that that room needs to be checked for bug, but the other staff member rather brushed her off. She apologized with the usual "I'm so sorry" and asked if I would be OK if she took of the charge for the breakfast. Are you kidding me? It is Monday and I still have itches and bite marks from the little uninvited creatures and all they can offer is a free breakfast.

They really don't get it at that hotel and for being a loyal customer of Best Western, it was one of the worst nights I have spend. As others reported on this hotel, stay away from it until they maybe understand that they have to give service and a goods that match their collected fees. Stay away if you don't want to be bitten....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our employees in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

I hope you can accept my apologies.

California, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Excellent place to stay: spacious rooms for European standards, fast wifi, restaurant was very good for both the breakfast and the dinner, the gym is a real gym not just 2 cardio machines as in most hotels who say they have a gym, plus they have a pool.
Two small downsides: 1) I didn't get my wake-up call which, if I wasn't paranoid about this and head set up two other alarms, too, would obviously have been bad for getting my connecting flight. 2) the staff person in charge of the breakfast was in over her head: her English was bad and she needed 15 minutes to get the coffee machines back working again.
Nonetheless, I liked the place very much and would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: don't get a room to the main street, which can be noisy at times