“Very good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Hoofddorp
Aruba
“Very good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This hotel is located close to Schiphol airport and is very comfortable. The rooms are modern as is the rest of the hotel. Breakfast is also good and the service is friendly. The price is good at just under € 100.00/night. I had a scary experience, however, and I am not mentioning it to give the hotel a bad name but rather to create awareness. It is noticeable that everyone is trying to be green. But this must not happen at the expense of lighting. The hotel lobby and the whole entrance (outside) is too dimly lit. The same goes for the corridors.
Right in front of me some thieves grabbed a guest's attache and ran away. One of them even tripped and almost fell on me. I have read, and visited cities like Mexico City, Rio, Bogota but I didn't expect to experience this in Amsterdam. Yes, the guest was negligent in leaving his bag unattended, a good lesson for me too! So, hotel management: light up the place better and, I didn't notice, but if you don't have them, install cameras. I hope this was an isolated incident, because it would be a pity for your nice hotel to gain a bad reputation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at BEST WESTERN Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you left on Tripadvisor. We try to meet the expectations of our guests and I believe we did achieve this.

Maik Willems

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
MUSCAT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Check-in Date : Apr 30, 2013 Check-out Date : May 2, 2013
Hotel Name : Best Western Bastion Amsterdam Airport Meal Plan : Bed And Breakfast
Client Names : Mr abdurahiman eledath, Mr yaqoob m g alrahbi

we stayed here on our bsns trip
rooms are ok
breakfast good,
free wifi

location bad

they provide free shuttle service, but poor service
front office staff not so good, no helping attituide

Room Tip: nothing to share
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our associates in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

Belmar, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We have stayed in one of the worst hotels of our around the world trip.........I wish I had read the reviews prior to staying there. We wanted a hotel close to the Airport in Amsterdam and got one alright................

The shuttle service from the airport to hotel was unacceptable.....We had contacted the hotel from England to confirm that a shuttle would be able to take us to the hotel.When we arrived at the spot to be picked up by the shuttle there was also a older couple waiting there for more than a hour due to the shuttle being too small for their luggage so they couldn't get on.
When a shuttle that was able to take us all and our luggage, it drove past the stop and the driver got out and straight away went for a cigarette. There was no way this older couple could lift their luggage into the racks on the shuttle so I helped as the driver was no where to be seen.
When I mentioned that to the staff at the reception they just smiled and said that's not good we will have to mention that to our management.
The restaurant is so under staffed , waited nearly 3 hours for our meal, I had to walk around the restaurant to find knives and forks etc for our table as after 30 mins the waiter hadn't returned with any thing to eat with. After a hour I went looking for the bottle of wine we ordered and our starter, I found a young girl in the bar area and told her we ordered a bottle of wine she finally brought out a bottle of wine and no glass's to drink from instead of just the bottle and walked away. We weren't the only people looking around for our meals but we were there the longest. The room was ok but no towels to shower only hand towels ...... Then to find the electric jug in the room was faulty and wouldn't work I couldn't wait to leave.

If you read all the reviews on this Hotel it isn't a ISOLATED occurrence it is a everyday OCCURRENCE by a Hotel that call's it self a Best Western Hotel that should drop the Best Western part and go by the name of a lack LUSTER Hotel that doesn't CARE!

Room Tip: The only thing good it is close to the AIRPORT..........Nothing else............
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I booked here based on cost...needing a room for a few nights over Queen's birthday week as nothing was available in Amsterdam Central. Staying around the airport is logical as hotels can be cheaper and there is fantastic transportation. This hotel is about 5-10 minutes away. Their hotel shuttle can be hit or miss, meaning it is relatively on time, but a lot of times the shuttle can't carry all of the people waiting. Simple enough, for less than 10 EUR you can take a taxi from the rank to the hotel.

On to the hotel. We had a hiccup when we checked in and were given a dirty room. The staff corrected this straight away. The rooms are nice and clean. The bathrooms had basic amenities but were very clean. The rooms were quiet (no airplane noise was noticed) and the bar and restaurant were lively in the evenings. The shuttle from the hotel to the airport departs every half hour, and there is a bus pick-up on the bus lanes just down the street. Very convenient for getting to Schiphol or into Amsterdam from Hoofddorp.

Rooms were cleaned every day, the rooms had a microwave and refrigerator included in them. Beds were comfy and allowed us to get some good sleep in. The entire hotel is non-smoking, which is nice, and the furnishings are new.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the end of the corridor so as not to hear the door opening and closing.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at BEST WESTERN Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, May 17, 2013

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Managed to get in here last minute for a good price and used their free shuttle to and from airport so we could then get train to city centre. Worked out half the price of staying in amsterdam and the hotel itself is clean, nicely furnished, big rooms and lovely bathroom. Would recommend any time.

• Stayed May 2013
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at BEST WESTERN Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, May 14, 2013

sf
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

If you're seasonal unpretentious traveler who needs a place to sleep for one night between flights with free shuttle service to/from airport, then this place is for you. They even have a descant swimming pool and gym. They provide you with locker and mini bar in each room. You can pick up some food at airport's supermarket that located near train station. Upon arrival, proceed to a courtesy hotel shuttle stop that is located outside of the main building, and call BW via a button that have BW name in it. BW shuttle comes every 30 minutes (:15 and :45). Upon check in, you need to reserve a shuttle that will bring you to airport (:00 and :30). It will be nice if they will provide guests with better bathing amenities. We did not have breakfast there. This hotel is located no more than 10 minutes away from the airport.

Room Tip: ask for the non-smoking and quiet room and reserve your airport shuttle upon arrival to the hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

They advertised shuttle to and from airport. The first shuttle was 30 min. late. Return to airport worked the next day. Bathroom spotless but rest of room didn't look clean, dresser dusty, rug had stuff on it, dark spots on bedspread (blood?). Recommend dinner next door at NH hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Maik Willems

Been to BEST WESTERN Amsterdam Airport? Share your experiences!