“a very good hotel with free parking” 4 of 5 stars

Van der Valk Hotel Schiphol A4
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rijksweg A4 No. 3, Hoofddorp 2132 MA , The Netherlands   |
Ranked #5 of 12 hotels in Hoofddorp
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“a very good hotel with free parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I only spent one night at the Van der Valk, however all impressions were positive. Easy to find, large free (for guests) carpark.
Check in was quick and hassle free. Front of house staff were polite, professional and very helpful. Check out was at 12pm, however I was allowed to leave my car in their carpark until 6pm for no additional charge, while I explored the city.
The hotels free shuttle bus runs every 40 minutes throughout the day and evening to the airport. Then its a short train ride to centraal station.
The room was huge by Amsterdam standards, the beds and pillows were comfortable, large flatscreen TV, a safe, a well appointed large bathroom (with bath and sperate shower) and your own balcony all came as standard. My only gripe would be the lack of tea and coffee making facilities in the room.
During my stay I had no need to use the bar, restaurant or leisure facilities so am not in a position to comment, however I have no reason to believe they would not be up to the same high standards as the rooms, lobby and other public spaces within the hotel grounds.
If I'm ever driving through Holland again and need a comfortable place to stay outside of the city I wouldn't hesitate to book the Van der Valk again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

989 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Muscat, Masqat, Oman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

It was during my first trip to the Netherlands, I had the privilege to stay at Van der Valk Hotel Schiphol. The hotel offers continuous bus service from the Schiphol Airport to the hotel entrance. Ideally located the property situated in a green environment. The rooms are pretty standard in size and all the facilities and amenities were of commendable quality. The balcony open up to a fresh breath of air. The staffs are very pleasant and offers a highly quality service on every request. I have also found this place as one of the best location for conferences and training, with a quiet ambiance and opening up to the nature for some fresh air. You can steal a good walk around the hotel and further up, at a walkable distance is a road cross building with great choice of fast food restaurants. The restaurants, bar were also of great quality. The complementary breakfast spreads up with a large choice of menu. I really loved my mornings here and it was always inducing a special energy around...

Room Tip: Choose a room with balcony that opens upto the green yard
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Niteroi, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

A good Hotel, with nice staff and good service.
I was there because a delayed flight, so i stayed only a day long. It was quite ok. The food was of good quality at lunch and at Dinner you can choose from chicken or beef if you are a guest of KlM or other company.. or you can also choose from a Menu, if you are only a guest.

THey have a good Shuttle service to the airport, which departs from both locations, regularly.

Room Tip: I think that all rooms are ok
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We were surprised by the high quality of this middle-of-nowhere airport motel. Stranded when our flight home was grounded by mechanical difficulties, the airline shuttled hundreds of passengers to this highway motel. The service was prompt and courteous, with everyone happy to go the extra mile to please us. The rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable. Food in the restaurant was fine, especially the extensive buffet offerings at breakfast. Meeting facilities looked good, and the surrounding garden/parcour is very pleasant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was traveling with three friends and we really liked this hotel! The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. We arrived very early before our room was ready so there were large lockers to put our luggage in while we went into Amsterdam. We had a quad room and it was very large with a patio, much more than we expected! There were four twin beds which was perfect and two tv’s, one for each side of the room. We were happy to see both a bathtub and a shower in the bathroom and there were plenty of towels and bath products. The hotel was about a 15 or 20 minute bus ride from the hotel and shorter on the way back to the airport which was fine. It was very convenient to ride the shuttle bus back to the airport in order to take the train into the city. Right across the parking lot, there was a center with KFC and Burger King and a BBQ restaurant – we didn’t go there but it was nice to know that it was available if we needed food. We don’t have anything bad to say about this hotel! Getting to our room was a bit tricky because of the numbering system but not enough to bother us. At the airport we watched people get very upset about small hotel shuttles with not enough room for everyone but this hotel sends a large bus so we never had an issue with that! Overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Telford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Well I have finally checked out of the room, and what a nice room it was too. There are some negatives to the whole stay but overall it was a pleasant stay.

Check in was very early, they had advised of a 3pm check in but allowed me to enter the room at 11am, I was greeted by a very friendly team of staff who were only to happy to help. The room itself was simply mind blowing, considering this is an airport location and just a four star, it was well furnished and the fixtures all seemed very high end and well executed. This was a business trip so I wasn't expecting to spend much time in the room but as it happened I ended up spending a lot of my time there.

The TV's were samsung LED hobbies which hadn't been completely hacked by the hotel lockdown police. I was able to plug my xbox, laptop and even USB device in without problems changing the source. There was a good mix of channels with plenty of English TV including bbc1 and bbc2 for non natives to enjoy. The hotel uses SmoovieTV for its premium content at a very reasonable €15 for 4 nights.

My room had its own private balcony equipped with 2 chairs and an ashtray showing its stance on smoking, having this allowed me to smoke at leisure during my stay without the usual trudge to the smoking shelter outside. There was also a smoking room in the hotel lobby so if it was too cold you could smoke in relative comfort.

Back to the room, it was missing something that I couldn't figure out until the evening of my first night, there was no tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Something that I consider as standard no matter where I am in the world.

The food was excellent and worthy of a visit just for the massive portions, there was however a problem with the staff, if you chose to dine in the bar. I don't know if hospitality in Amsterdam is different but I often found myself standing in front of a disinterested bar man or a waitress who actively looked for other things to do apart from serve me (including an attempt to emptying an empty packet of nuts into not just one but two bowls. I think because I must have looked a bit cheap I wasn't worthy of serving (jeans and a t-shirt). Another occasion I sat at my table after noticing the waitress was doing her rounds offering table service, when I eventually got her attention it seemed like I was causing her no end of problems. I decided to order at the bar, the barman didn't acknowledge me at all, he stood right in front of me and talked over my shoulder to the waitress, once finished he turned away and started packing cutlery into their little holders.

When I did eventually get my food it was very nice and well presented. This entire stay was ruined by the duo running the bar!

All I can say is move in to the 21st century, IT has moved on, very few people in the industry still wear suits. I was made to feel like a second class citizen whilst dining in the bar!

My job takes me to Amsterdam quite a bit (3-4 times a year) and I will NOT be returning, even though the rooms and surroundings are fantastic.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside room, (they all have balconies). I stayed in 2001, not much of a view but still...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Van der Valk Hotel Schiphol A4? Share your experiences!