“Good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 12 hotels in Hoofddorp
Niteroi, RJ
“Good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

A good Hotel, with nice staff and good service.
I was there because a delayed flight, so i stayed only a day long. It was quite ok. The food was of good quality at lunch and at Dinner you can choose from chicken or beef if you are a guest of KlM or other company.. or you can also choose from a Menu, if you are only a guest.

THey have a good Shuttle service to the airport, which departs from both locations, regularly.

Room Tip: I think that all rooms are ok
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

1,075 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We were surprised by the high quality of this middle-of-nowhere airport motel. Stranded when our flight home was grounded by mechanical difficulties, the airline shuttled hundreds of passengers to this highway motel. The service was prompt and courteous, with everyone happy to go the extra mile to please us. The rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable. Food in the restaurant was fine, especially the extensive buffet offerings at breakfast. Meeting facilities looked good, and the surrounding garden/parcour is very pleasant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was traveling with three friends and we really liked this hotel! The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. We arrived very early before our room was ready so there were large lockers to put our luggage in while we went into Amsterdam. We had a quad room and it was very large with a patio, much more than we expected! There were four twin beds which was perfect and two tv’s, one for each side of the room. We were happy to see both a bathtub and a shower in the bathroom and there were plenty of towels and bath products. The hotel was about a 15 or 20 minute bus ride from the hotel and shorter on the way back to the airport which was fine. It was very convenient to ride the shuttle bus back to the airport in order to take the train into the city. Right across the parking lot, there was a center with KFC and Burger King and a BBQ restaurant – we didn’t go there but it was nice to know that it was available if we needed food. We don’t have anything bad to say about this hotel! Getting to our room was a bit tricky because of the numbering system but not enough to bother us. At the airport we watched people get very upset about small hotel shuttles with not enough room for everyone but this hotel sends a large bus so we never had an issue with that! Overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Telford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Well I have finally checked out of the room, and what a nice room it was too. There are some negatives to the whole stay but overall it was a pleasant stay.

Check in was very early, they had advised of a 3pm check in but allowed me to enter the room at 11am, I was greeted by a very friendly team of staff who were only to happy to help. The room itself was simply mind blowing, considering this is an airport location and just a four star, it was well furnished and the fixtures all seemed very high end and well executed. This was a business trip so I wasn't expecting to spend much time in the room but as it happened I ended up spending a lot of my time there.

The TV's were samsung LED hobbies which hadn't been completely hacked by the hotel lockdown police. I was able to plug my xbox, laptop and even USB device in without problems changing the source. There was a good mix of channels with plenty of English TV including bbc1 and bbc2 for non natives to enjoy. The hotel uses SmoovieTV for its premium content at a very reasonable €15 for 4 nights.

My room had its own private balcony equipped with 2 chairs and an ashtray showing its stance on smoking, having this allowed me to smoke at leisure during my stay without the usual trudge to the smoking shelter outside. There was also a smoking room in the hotel lobby so if it was too cold you could smoke in relative comfort.

Back to the room, it was missing something that I couldn't figure out until the evening of my first night, there was no tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Something that I consider as standard no matter where I am in the world.

The food was excellent and worthy of a visit just for the massive portions, there was however a problem with the staff, if you chose to dine in the bar. I don't know if hospitality in Amsterdam is different but I often found myself standing in front of a disinterested bar man or a waitress who actively looked for other things to do apart from serve me (including an attempt to emptying an empty packet of nuts into not just one but two bowls. I think because I must have looked a bit cheap I wasn't worthy of serving (jeans and a t-shirt). Another occasion I sat at my table after noticing the waitress was doing her rounds offering table service, when I eventually got her attention it seemed like I was causing her no end of problems. I decided to order at the bar, the barman didn't acknowledge me at all, he stood right in front of me and talked over my shoulder to the waitress, once finished he turned away and started packing cutlery into their little holders.

When I did eventually get my food it was very nice and well presented. This entire stay was ruined by the duo running the bar!

All I can say is move in to the 21st century, IT has moved on, very few people in the industry still wear suits. I was made to feel like a second class citizen whilst dining in the bar!

My job takes me to Amsterdam quite a bit (3-4 times a year) and I will NOT be returning, even though the rooms and surroundings are fantastic.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside room, (they all have balconies). I stayed in 2001, not much of a view but still...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Housekeeping left our door OPEN for 4 hours after making the beds and management offered 'A thousand apologies'. We asked for one nights room reduction and he refused. When we pushed him he condescended to give us a free breakfast for ONE night. Forgive me but I rate the security of our possessions and our peace of mind for trusting the staff for the rest of our stay as far more important than that. General Manager J Severijnse could do with a speed course in customer relations. No way will I be coming back to this hotel or any other in this chain. Customers MUST be able to leave their hotel rooms without wondering if their possessions will still be there when they come back! Why doesn't this manager understand that?

• Stayed September 2013
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We were looking for a good hotel near Schiphol airport (Amsterdam), and phoned the hotel on the day itself. They had a great familyroom available for us, so that we could start our travels to our holiday destination in a relaxed way the next morning.
The car could stay near the hotel for the 2 weeks of our holidas (included in the overnight stay price). Very good transfer service to the airport, also on the way back after the holiday (a bus every 40 minutes in between 8-24 h, but a transfer during the night is also possible to arrage for an additional fee, I believe 20 EUR). When we returned from the holiday we decided to have a lunch in the restaurant, which was great, and allowed us again to return home in a comfortable way.
Even thou the hotel might not be one of the cheapest, we enjoyed the service and the excelent organisation, which made the start and return of our holiday very pleasent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Van der Valk Hotel Schiphol A4? Share your experiences!