“Very pleasant Staff and Great Breakfast” 5 of 5 stars

Hot rate & 15% off dinner
Ranked #6 of 12 hotels in Hoofddorp
GreenLeadersSilver level
Strasbourg
“Very pleasant Staff and Great Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I did not choose this hotel. My flight was delayed and I missed my connection so KLM put me there and paid the bill. Usually if you get sent to the airline-imposed hotel, the experience is not so wonderful, however this time the hotel was way above my expectations.
First the shuttlebus driver (man from Leiden) was extremely helpful, polite, warm, just like a dirver should be. A short trip brought us to a quiet, green area near the airport that did not feel like it was near the airport. Hotel is part of the Claus leiser and meeting facility with restaurants and bowling nearby. Hotel reception staff were very polite and efficient and did not treat me any differently because I had a Airline voucher, which can happen sometimes. The receptionist was helpful and thought ahead to give me my shuttle bus ticket for the next morning according to my flkight time. The lobby and bar and breakffast room are tastefully decorated and were scrupulously clean. Free wifi in the lobby, bar and breakfast room.
Room was quite large for European standard and was nothing special, but all was very clean, comfortable, especially the large bathroom with rear tub and nice shower with plenty of hot water. AC was quiet. sheets were very good quality. Room windows opened to let in fresh air. I slept with the windows opened and did not hear a sound. My breakfast was included, so I went the breakfast room when it opened at 6:30 I was warmly greeted by staff and the quality of all the food was way above the usual chain hotel fare. I mean the juice was fresh-squeezed, the butter was real, bread and croissants were fresh, coffee was tasty. Fresh fruits served were all ripe and they had read cheesecake that was fabulous. I have been to many hotels during my carreer and the breakfast in this hotel was planned and prepared by someone who cares about quality. I used the public toilets near the reception and they were very clean. There was even a dispenser to disinfect your toilet seat with alcohol. Checkout was fast, polite and efficient and the shuttle bus trip back to the airport was exactly on time. Driver was an older fellow and again just and polite and efficient as he could be.
I was very impressed with the this hotel that got all the small details right. It was very much appreciated. If you get stuck in the Amsterdam Airport, or have business nearby, then I can highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

264 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Camarillo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott before flying from Amsterdam airport. Their shuttle picks up and drops off at the AMS airport for 5 Euro each way. We had a great corner room which was large and bright. The breakfast was expensive but tasty. There is a center right next door with two restaraunts. We ate dinner at the Bistro and it was delicious and reasonably priced. You have to make reservations for the shuttle thru reservations!! Free wi-fi in lobby and printer for boarding passes.

Room Tip: Hi floor corner
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I didn't expect to spend the night at the Courtyard in Amsterdam - I was supposed to be in Bremen but KLM's short connection turned into no connection and I missed the flight. I was sent to the courtyard by KLM since they were liable for making me miss the flight.

It's quite a long way from the terminals way out on the other side of the airport runways about 12 km away. However, most of the journey is on quiet roads. The shuttle bus is not so great - running only every half hour which isn't as convenient as I would hope it could be.

However, once I finally got there I was impressed. The front desk guy was outstanding - kind, sympathetic and happy to sort out my no show at the Bremen branch of the Courtyard, even arranging a free cancellation for me. I had a very good dinner and wine in the restaurant before going to my room.

The room was big - a double double - with plenty of space. The bathroom had both a bath and a shower - nice touch! The bed was comfy and my only gripe would be that they wouldn't let me have internet access unless I got out of bed, put on some clothes and went down stairs to give my credit card details. Too much bother but only a problem because I'd not been checked in as I was on a freebie.

Shuttle was good - a nice big comfortable bus - and ran a video showing all I'd missed by arriving so late and leaving so early. They have a beach bar on a lake and there are plenty of facilities like restaurants and a bowling alley.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Georgia, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed at this property as I have on several previous occasions. In the past I have liked the hotel and rooms. The rooms are large by European standards, and also have large bathrooms with both a shower and bath tub. The hot water is HOT, unlike the lukewarm water at some hotels. Overall my past stays have been pleasant and without any complaints. Some general room information: rooms have clothes iron and ironing board, a hot water pot and a coffee / tea tray, and an in room safe. The air conditioning is quiet and it gets nice and cold, something I like. The beds are comfortable, and the window curtains block out nearly all daylight if drawn shut.

So it was that with this most recent stay I did not pay a lot of attention to the room when I checked in. After all, no problems in the past, right. I put away my clothes and went to sleep as I was really tired. However when I got up I did notice several things that should not have been. First and foremost there was what I can only describe as visible mold in both corners of the shower. The pictures clearly show it and I am not sure how housekeeping could possibly miss this. While I am not a scientist and can’t authoritatively say it is mold, if it’s not I do not know what it is – certainly it should not be there. I also noticed a rather long and hard to miss black hair on the rim of the bath tub (I know its not mine, well, because I have no hair :-) ).

Since I was already settled in and have used worse bathroom facilities in my life, I thought no big deal and went about my business. Later on in my stay I noticed something that is absolutely sickening. On the bed ruffle there was a whiteish stain of semi gooey fluid of unknown origin. I could not believe that it was missed by the cleaning crew, or that I slept in the bed with this only a few feet away. I am hoping it is slobber from someone’s dog’s but would not bet on it. If it’s what I think it is, and which you astute readers can probably guess at, someone had really a good time in this room previously to me – too bad I didn't.

Room Tip: Not a room tip per say, but the hotel shuttle bus runs back to AMS Schipol airport at odd times. Be...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My three kids and I spent just over 24 hours there late July this year, and also stopped over twice last year.

This Marriot is not a 4 star hotel, it has very little lobby to speak of, and its general look and feel is more utilitarian than luxurious. That being said, the rooms are fairly spacious and clean, everything works and feels new. We stayed in a room with two large double beds (not sure if they were quite queen size), easily big enough for two sisters (10 and 7) to share, and for me to share with my 5 y.o. boy.

The staff at the lobby are generally exceptionally friendly and helpful.

The buffet breakfast is expensive, for smaller kids eat free, so it averages out OK if a family is eating. The quality of the buffet is good, though not stellar (incl. some smoked salmon last year, but not this year...)

We LOVE the location. Less than 10 mins drive from Schiphol, and next to a huge park that has all sorts of attractions for kids, very large climbing frames / towers / castles, small lake that one could swim in, cool cafe jutting out into the lake, etc. Also a complex next door that seems mostly closed most of the time, but the bistro is good if overpriced. Didn't try the bowling.

Gripes:
- Quite expensive for what it is
- An airport hotel should, in my opinion, have at least day room rates available, ideally even by the hour or 6-hour chunk. Not available here, thus I paid for two nights just to ensure that when we arrived at 7:00 am, we'd have a room ready.
- twice, hotel staff let a shuttle leave even though they should have known we were in the lobby waiting for it. Our fault, but would've been nice to be warned.

All in all, though, happy to return if the occasion and the price is right.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kiel, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

looked online first...website showed prices starting at 119 Euro per night...called hotel directly for reservation. She said that was a weekend rate and it was 190 Euro during the week. I asked if Internet was included and she assured me it was. Nope...they wanted 12,50 more for internet access when I got there. Tried calling the front desk numerous times from my room and never got an answer. Always had to go to the front desk for service. Breakfast was mediocre. Stayed second night a stone's throw away at another hotel and it was half the price with free internet. One more thing...there's not much close by if you are on foot.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We booked the family room initially for 2 adults and 3 kids. Budget wise it is good option, but with 3 toddlers it felt too crowded. Luckily, we could switch to two regular two rooms with conneting doors. That has been perfect for us.

The rooms are modern with AC, bath and shower. They are not very large, but in European standard they are comfortable. Sleep quality is good, especially, when it gets hot outside and you need the AC.

We used the Courtyard as base for our travels by car to visit the area for 4 days and nights. For that purpose the location is good. Just 7 KMs from the main highways of Netherlands and easily accesible through high speed road to the highways. It takes 30 minutes drive to get to heart of Amsterdam or 15 min to Haarlem. We traveled to Amsterdam once and to Haarlem twice for dinner. All trips were smooth and easy. This is all by rental car of course.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is good. It offers nice selection of food , made to order eggs and good coffee. The bar in the hotel is open relatively late and offers good choice of beers, if you are not keen on going to Amsterdam.

We enjoyed the modern and comfortable facility in European terms.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the park are offering quietness and nicer view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard Amsterdam Airport? Share your experiences!