“Great hotel but not really an airport hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Hoofddorp
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Great hotel but not really an airport hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

My friends and I stayed in this hotel for one night on the way to Athens and it was great. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and we got the free shuttle from the airport. It isn't really all that close to the airport though as it is about 15 min drive away. There's an American themed bowling alley nearby the hotel which we can eat at but it's a bit of a trek to get into Amsterdam if you have time to do so. Other than the location though it's a very good hotel.

Room Tip: Not that much more to upgrade to a better room
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
AmsterdamCourtyardGM, General Manager at Courtyard Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear globehopper46,

Thank you very much for your stay with us. It is true that we are not located ON the airport in the smells of kerosine and air traffic noise. We are located a 15 minute drive in a beautiful park. The Amsterdam Metropolitan area has much to offer and to explore. We have created a travel pack including a full public transportation package that allows 24 hour browsing of the city.

Just an insider tip, check out the city of Haarlem, just 10 minutes away with a 24 hour bus line in front of the hotel running from Schiphol Airport to Haarlem.

Anyway, thank you for using Tripadvisor to rate your experience. We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us soon.

Roger Langhout, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Suburban Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I checked in to the Courtyard on April 23 and was greeted by Eric, who remembered me from my last visit in October 2011! The staff at this property is very pleasant without being overly so and the fact that Eric remembered me was well above expectations for any hotel in the countries I visit.

This time, I had a superior room instead of a suite as my wife was in Paris. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. The internet connection was fast and reliable, something I didn't evaluate in my previous review. My only room related issue was in the bathroom. There is a separate shower enclosure in the spacious (for European hotels) bathroom. The drain emitted a foul odor that dissipated, but never disappeared entirely during the four nights I stayed there. Being in the commercial real estate business, I recognized the cause. Drains normally have a small amount of water in them that acts as a vapor block. If this water evaporates from lack of use, any vapor in the drain can flow out through the drain itself. The cure for this is to disinfect the drain, then keep water in in it. It really has nothing to do with the bathroom cleanliness, but the smell makes it seem as if the the bathroom isn't clean.

Because I have stayed in several hotels in Germany, Paris, and The Netherlands since my first review of the Courtyard Amsterdam Airport, I decided to reduce my rating to "Average" from "Very Good" although nothing has really changed. Its simply that I have more perspective on what constitutes a "Very Good" hotel in the countries I've mentioned. The Courtyard Amsterdam is a good alternative the expensive hotels in Amsterdam, even if you factor in the additional cost to shuttle to Schiphol or use the Conexxion Bus and the staff delivers a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the adjacent park and Schiphol are quieter, as are rooms on higher floors.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
AmsterdamCourtyardGM, General Manager at Courtyard Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear Flagger,

Thank you very much for returning at the Courtyard by Marriott Amsterdam Airport.

I am sorry for the reason that made you decide to lower your rating on Tripadvisor. We will use your comments to reinforce our drive for excellence.

Thank you for using tripadvisor, and a big thank you for the business you generate at our hotel.

Norwich
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Golden question. If at Amsterdam Airport would I choose to stay here again? Without doubt no. Why? We arrived at the airport before 8pm (so not late). We had just missed a shuttle bus and the timetable said the next one was 45 mins away (19:30 to 20:15??). There's only 24 hours in a day so every 45 mins isn't a shuttle bus for me? The bus then arrived 10 mins late so a 55 mins wait. In the 55 mins we stood there busses for other hotels came round more frequently. One that serves a few came round 5 times (Ibis, Etap and another which escapes me)? Once on the bus it took a detour to pick someone up at a perfume house (can't remember which one) and it took nearly 30 mins to reach the hotel. Never again. It also didn't appear to return to the airport to complete the schedule?

Once we were in the hotel we had a nice room, a nice meal and the shuttle worked ok the next morning, (though we had to get up far earlier as we were so far away). The journey back was also significantly quicker without the diversion to pick up another guest. In future I'd stay at the Sheraton. It's at the terminal. At a push it may work if you live a fair distance from the hotel and don't want an early start. It's not an overnight transfer hotel in my view, nor is it an airport hotel. It's too far away. I'd also say it doesn't have a shuttle bus. It has an infrequent bus. Double identity crisis.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear LuxurySeekerNorwich,

Thank you very much for staying with us.

I'm sorry that we were unaible to provide you with a proper arrival plan to make your arrival smoother. Our latest shuttle schedule is posted on our website but I will review our reservation communications to see if we can do better.

Your actual stay was rated very positive and I thank you for that.

Although your arrival experience was not as expected your stay has proven to be good as we have the largest standard rooms in the area and although just a little further out form the airport, we are situated beautifullly at a park, away from the korisine smells and noise from staying at the airport.. I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us soon.

Lochcarron
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Lovely public areas and although there was no family room available for us even though we'd booked a few months previous we were put into a suite which was adequate for us. Overheard another family trying to book in and i think they were being given 2 rooms even though they'd booked a family room! Breakfast was as varied a breakfast as i've seen in any hotel and there was plenty of everything. Something to suit everyone and all nationalities. Claus centre next door was good for bowling and food was ok there but a bit pricey in some of the restaurants.
All round it was great for the one night we were there before flying back to the uk. About 10 mins max from the airport. Worked out cheaper to stay here with a family than anywhere else near the airport as breakfast was included and we were all(5) allowed to stay in one room. Elsewhere we were struggling to find a room for more than 2/3 so would have had to have 2/3 rooms. Would definately recommend and would stay again given the chance.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear jmams,

Thank you very much for staying at the Courtyard by Marriott Amsterdam Airport.

We appreciate the excellent rating you have given us on tripadvisor.
Not very often you will find an airport hotel situated at a park with jogging routes and a lake. It is great place to stay with families. I'm sorry that we did not have a family room available for you. Our family room is equipped with a separate bed room for the kids set up with their own TV and Playstation 3 console.

Great to read that you have had a rewarding experience at our hotel and we would be more than happy to accomodate you again, but this time in a family room!

Also on behalf of my team, thank you.

Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We were in Amsterdam for one day. We were flying out the next day, so we wanted to stay near the airport. We came into Amsterdam by train. The hotel had a shuttle, it left from the airport every hour. The shuttle is very convenient. But, it is not free, it is 5 euros a trip. We took the shuttle to the hotel and we rode it right back to the airport, to catch a train to central Amsterdam. So, we took the shuttle 4 times, they only charged us for 2 rides. The drivers were very knowledgeable. The room were very big, the bathroom had a tub and shower.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear bethanneab,

Thank you very much for your stay with us and using Tripadvisor to rate your experience.

Our shuttle and train is a very easy way to get to Amsterdam as parking in the city is expensive and often hard to find a parking spot.

We look forward to having you back with us soon.

Howell, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Very dependable property. Rooms are roomy, beds are comfortable. Hotel is located on a beautiful piece of land with plenty of outdoor activities. Shuttle bus is dependable and sauna very hot. Internet was great!! I cannot wait to return later this year. Thanks for a great stay!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
AmsterdamCourtyardGM, General Manager at Courtyard Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear hurricane48,

It was great heving you back with us again and thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I will post your review in our associate area to share your kind words with the team. We are very much looking forward welcoming you back with us later this year.

Safe travels.

Beste Regards,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

As with others, KLM sent me here for 24 hours after missing a connection. I don't usually like airport hotels but this was an exception. From the greating by the shuttle driver at the airport to all the other staff I met there was an excellent up beat and positive/helpful attitude.

The standard room I had was fine, with a seperate shower and bath tub, two queen size beds and sufficient work space. Internet was by cable and charged for at, I think, 12 Euro for 24 hours. I looked over the back, so not onto the highway. In warmer weather the lake and park in the grounds would have been excellent to walk/jog in.

I ate lunch and breakfast both of which were fine, including a range of fresh food.

It's a 15 minute ride to/from the airport with a regular shuttle for much of the day.

An airport hotel I would return to.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear bubu3,

Thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that you had an unplanned layover due to disrupted trvelplans. However we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is true that the lake and park behind our hotel looks appealing for jogging and swimming, so we hope to have you back one day for you to enjoy these features. The weather looks fine right now and I just saw two guests entering the park for a run.

Thank you for staying with us.

Roger Langhout, General Manager

Been to Courtyard Amsterdam Airport? Share your experiences!