“Poor attitude in restaurant” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 12 hotels in Hoofddorp
oxford
“Poor attitude in restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Didn't actually stay here, was in the (cheaper) Holiday Inn Express across the road, but came over for a meal one evening. Ordered the burger on the "snack" menu (note the "main" menu is very expensive). Asked for it to be cooked "medium". At first it seemed OK, and told the waitress as much when she asked how my meal was. However, near the end of the meal when I got to middle of the burger it was clearly not even cooked properly, let alone "medium". I left a bit (which frankly looked almost raw) and told the waitress as much when she collected my plate. She appeared to agree and said she'd have a word with the chef. Anyway that was that and a few minutes later I was presented with my bill, with no acknowledgement or apology about the unsatisfactory burger. I called over the head waiter and he said he'd investigate. He came back a few minutes later but was terribly defensive, saying that I'd told the waitress that my meal was fine (but that was before I'd got to the undercooked bit of it!) and that the chef had said it was cooked correctly (which was patently not true for the bit I left). Given that the burger cost 20 Euros and I was clearly not satisfied with it, I would the thought the least I could have expected was an apology and perhaps the offer of a free coffee to diffuse the situation. I wasn't expecting (or looking) for my bill to be wiped completely but the fact that there was no recognition that a customer was unhappy, or even the slightest sign of contrition left a sour taste, and by that time I was frankly quite angry and not feeling like I wanted to pay at all. In the end, grudgingly, the head waiter offered a free drink, but by that time I just wanted to get out of the place. Eventually he took off the cost of a drink I had earlier, so I still ended up paying for the burger in full. Needless to say I didn't leave a tip! Very disappointed, might have expected from a cheap cafe but not a supposed 4 star hotel. Definitely won't be coming back next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear SPS2209,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. Our goal is to ensure you feel valued and appreciated and I apologize we did not make you feel this way. I am sorry to hear that the service you received was not what you had expected and apologize for the inconvenience you experienced due to the quality of food that was served. The appropriate management has been notified and these concerns will be addressed and corrected.

Again, we greatly appreciate the valuable feedback. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back our way.

Zelyn N
Case Manager

785 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I had a one night stay over, but was pleasantly surprised by the location and convenience of the hotel to the airport. The Crowne Plaza was clean and well-styled and my room was spacious. I was most impressed by the service. Steaming my shirt in the shower, I accidentally flooded the bathroom and the duty manager Tim took care of the situation himself. I tried to tip him, but he refused and later left me a nice note. Will definitely come back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

very clean, very polite and helpful staff. The food in the restaurant it was a little bit too expensive.The location is not so good if you want to visit Amsterdam and don't have a car but if you just want to have a quiet,away from the rest of the world holiday, this is a good choice. I would recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Comfortable, clean, and close to both the airport and our office. Very little contact with the service and everything went fine. Room was big and very illuminated, with a convenient table to work.
The checkin process took its time, with very little queue. If you are going for business, i.e. not to be at the hotel but anywhere else at your office, this is a good place.
A plus for me: free shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and back, just asked to the driver (not in reception) and she let me in without any issue, for free.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jeddah, Makkah, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Crowne Plaza Schiphol is a very nice hotel as regards the facilities and hospitality of the staff. I am their priority club member as well, however as it is located outside Amsterdam in Hoofddorp, for any one coming to attend any conference or congress being held at Amsterdam RAI should try to find some hotel in city center as every time you need to go to congress center or Amsterdam city center you need to purchase the train ticket worth 9.20 Euros. The transport passes which the conference management usually provides is valid only for Metros, Trams and buses and not for the trains.

Room Tip: Club room will be enough for a family of 4, whereas standard double for a couple and standard single...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Stuttgart, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

On arrival in the room empty shampoo bottle and papers of the previous guest was still in the room. Clearly no attempt was made to clean the room. On the Posetive side the staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Flippie C,

Thank you for your feedback. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments regarding cleanliness are very much appreciated and will certainly be looked into.

Again, thank you for the feedback. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Connie D
Case Manager
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

If you are Platinum Elite, Stay AWAY from this hotel.
Before Priority Club became IHG, this hotel offered Free breakfast and lounge access to Platinum member. When I checked in this Month, I expected my usual benefits.
To my biggest suprise, not only did this hotel remove lounge access but it also removed the free breakfast. Funny enough, they gave me a letter upon my arrival "explaining my benefits for platinum" which basically said the only thing I was entitled to was free internet and extra points. What a bargain!! And to top it off, they use to have Nespresso machine in the club lounge room (dont know why they call it club lounge because you dont even have access to the club lounge!!!), but not anymore. When I went downstairs to see if I could have one, they made me understand I was not qualified to have one.

So to sum it up, you wont get anything at this hotel for your platinum status. They dont care anymore. At least with the other competitors, when I reach status I get to always enjoy the lounge and free breakfast in the morning, not with the Crowne Plaza Schiphol.
Also the room are outdated, I needed binoculars to watch the tv in my room (who still has 22 inches tvs!!!), the gym is so tiny that even by myself it seams crowded!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Chris L,

Thank you for being a Rewards Club Platinum Elite Member. Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Regards,

Brenda J.
eMedia Coordinator
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol? Share your experiences!