“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 12 hotels in Hoofddorp
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Really nice hotel, all of the staff are really friendly and cannot help you enough. Particularly my waiter, Simon, who spoke fantastic English (possibly better than myself) and was very helpful, setting up a table for me on the couch rather than in the main resteraunt.

Will definitely be staying again.

Room Tip: Join priority club, the excellent reception staff will upgrade you if they have a better room availa...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
CrownePlazaHoofddorp, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear Covmeister,

First of all we would like to thank you for having taking the time to write your comments and post them on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is extremely important to us.

It is nice to read that you appreciate our hotel and find our staff to be really friendly and helpfull.

My team and I would welcome the opportunity to be your hosts once more in the future,

871 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Turkish first
BE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Dining experience was great! Service was excellent especially from one of the waiter, Simon. Great welcome and he takes care about everything. Thanks

Dear Emilie D.,

Thank you very much for informing us about your pleasant dining experience. We have passed you compliment to our staff, and Simon in specific. It was great having you, and we are looking forward to welcoming you next time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I've been staying at this hotel regularly for around 4 years. Whilst the facilities/rooms/food are all fine, the reason I return is for the people. It is extremely rare for a corporate hotel to attract and keep staff who genuinely seem to care about their hotel and you as an individual. This matters more to me than some of the more pretentious boutique offerings. I recommend this small oasis in the middle of Schipol for business or pleasure.

Dear Andrew F.,

Thank you for taking the time to rate your stay, we are very thankful for your review.

It is great to read that you appreciate the genuinely caring attitude of our employees. I can assure you that we have shared your kind feedback with our employees. As you may understand this is the experience we are aiming for as your hosts in the hotel.

On behalf of the entire staff at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam - Schiphol we would like to thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Groningen, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel on several occasions and have always enjoyed it (see my previous review). It particular it offers better facilities than most Schiphol hotels (pool, gym, executive lounge) at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, on this visit everything went a bit wrong.

The hotel shuttle was late, which was irritating as the weather was rather unpleasant.

Check in was slow and were initially not given an executive room, although we had booked one. This was corrected by the receptionist, but she seemed quite unfriendly for some reason.

I was a little disappointed by the executive room, so I rang up reception and asked if we could pay for an upgrade to a junior suite. I was told no suites at all were available. Since the hotel seems quiet I checked this on the internet and found that a junior suite was available. I rang reception again and was told once again that no suite was available. I then asked to see the "duty manager", who told me a suite was available. But they would only allow me to upgrade at walk in rate and not the rate advertised on the hotel website. (which implied 100 Euros more as oppose to 30 Euros more). This didn't strike me as good value, so I decided to stay in the room I had. 30 minutes later the same "manager" said he had checked with the "general manager"and we could have the upgrade for nothing. This of course was very nice, but an hour of ringing a very unhelpful reception and being mislead had left me feeling very un-relaxed.

Next problem was dinner. I have eaten at this hotel before and found the food of an above average standard. Not this time! My first course of swordfish with potato salad featured undercooked swordfish and a salad with the consistency of the huzaren salads you can buy in Dutch petrol stations. My main course of lamb featured perfectly cooked lamb, but cold and seriously undercooked boiled potatoes. The markup on wine appeared to be a factor of five, which I find excessive. Service was not very efficient and the staff have the rude habit of reply in English even when you speak to them in Dutch.

The catering in the executive lounge in this hotel has always been disappointing and this has not changed. The evening "snacks" available were crisps, peanuts and six small spoons of a smoked fish salad. Not acceptable for this standard of hotel. Breakfast in the club lounge is advertised on the hotel website, but was not available

Finally there is a hotel branded glossy magazine in each room informing guests of local shops and restaurants. This is of course quite normal. However, in this case it included 4 pages of large glossy adverts for prostitutes. Moreover, there was an editorial section telling you that you could expect to pay 50 Euros for full or oral sex from a window prostitute or go to a club for a more "classy" experience. I am anything but a prude, but I do not believe that an international hotel should be promoting prostitution. Moreover, I'd have a hard job explaining the adverts to a curious child.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaHoofddorp, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Dear TravelingCelt,

Thank you very much for your feedback with regards to your most recent stay in our hotel. Feedback like this gives us the possibility to adjust our services and products where needed.

We are sorry to hear that - on your last visit - 'everything went wrong'. This is not the service we are aiming for.
We agree that we should have handled the room upgrade in a more professional and effective way. We have spoken about that in our team.

I have passed your comments about dinner and the Executive lounge to my F&B Manager. We hope to give you an excellent F&B experience, as written in some of the other Trip Advisor comments, in the near future.

Finally we understand your concern about the adds and information in the Nightlife section of the Amsterdam Exclusive. We provide this magazine, being an informative tourist information guide, created to inform the guests of over 100 hotels in Amsterdam about all aspects of the city.

Again we are sorry for the inconvenience you suffered during your last stay but we hope you will give us another opportunity during your next stay to show you that this was an exception to the rule.

Ashland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Wearily I arrived at Schiphol, from a grueling week of business in the Zuid. Hungry, from traveling without a meal, I cautiously availed myself of the Hotel accommodations. Without a doubt, what was served was the finest meal I had all week, after a string of delicious experiences.

I was enticed by the wagyu carpaccio, which was truly exquisite. Ultimately, I enjoyed a beautiful duck, presented two ways - as a medium rare breast, and a leg confit. After having eaten dozens of ducks, I had finally found the perfect meal.

The hardest part of my dining experience was the selection. Everything looked equally enticing. My lovely meal was only enhanced eby the delightful, professional staff of Johan, Larissa and Marcha. I can't wait to return!

Dear Bennett V,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We are very pleased to hear that you had a fine dining experience in our restaurant.

We have passed your compliments to Johan, Larissa and Marcha. My team and I would welcome the opportunity to be your hosts once more in the future.

Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

I stayed at Crowne Plaza Schiphol for four nights between 5 till 6 February 2012. I wrote a few days before my arrival requesting a renovated room on 3rd or 4th floor with runway view. I received a written response within 1 hour promising to do everything to make my stay enjoyable. I arrived weary and spent after Heathrow had gone into melt down following 3 inches of snow. All became good when I was informed at reception that I had been upgraded to a club room. I had a perfect view of the runways as requested and the room was perfect being very large by European standards, spotless, plenty of bathroom amenities and both a nespresso and tea making facilities. There is also an entertainment package [special offer] including internet, music and tens of movies so that if you have leisure time on cold winter days you may be tempted not to leave your room! The breakfast was of great variety and nicely presented although at least on two occasions there was no smoked salmon. I think the shuttle from the airport needs some improvement as on one day the first shuttle only arrived at 16:45 and not 16:15 although the driver said he had been also at 16:15. They tend also to run 5-10 minutes late. Apart from these two grumbles I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will not want to go elsewhere if in Amsterdam. Michael Cooper, Haifa, Israel

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
CrownePlazaHoofddorp, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your nice and enthousiastic comments on TripAdvisor. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for.

We have taken your remarks with regards to the smoked salmon and the schedule of the Shuttle bus into account and will give this the necessary attention in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Rooms are great with very comfortable beds and pillows. Reception is efficient and friendly. Bar is also friendly and prompt. Food quality is high but expensive. Continental breakfast is very good but the American breakfast is poor - the hot food is cold with the scrambled eggs and sausages falling short on quality. Probably the best hotel in Hoofddorp from my experience.

Room Tip: Club rooms are the best
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
CrownePlazaHoofddorp, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Dear sir,

Thank you very much for your nice comments and compliments about our hotel. We have passed your feedback to our Reception and Bar staff and it was much appreciated.

We have taken your remarks with regards to our American Breakfast into account and will discuss improvements.
For your next visit I would like to inform you about our very attractive priced daily menu which changes on a weekly basis.

We look forward welcoming you again at our hotel.

Area General Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol? Share your experiences!