“It does what it should” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Hoofddorp
Alton, United Kingdom
“It does what it should”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I think that there is now a pretty high standard that you can expect from the Holiday Inn brand; you know that the rooms are going to be of a good standard, and that there will be reasonable facilities. This Holiday Inn Express certainly reflects those standards, and the staff were excellent, very friendly and very professional.
It is a little far out from the city, and a 10 minute bus ride from the airport.
The only negative comment I have is that the hotel offers a free bus shuttle from the airport, but charges for the same service from the airport to the hotel, but other than that, it does exactly what you expect from a Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We had the most delightful staff treating us like gold for 4 nights at the end of September 2013.

Brandon went way above and beyond to greet us, help, us and direct us. He recognized our Priority club status, which doesn't happen often.

This hotel was spotless and breakfast was wonderful. Hotel was extremely quiet. We were so glad we stayed outside of Amsterdam. Train ride into the city was 20 min walk to train station.

Need change to purchase ticket out of machine, $4.60 one way. Only one machine at station accepted change.

The morning we left we needed a wake up call - Brandon called us from HOME for wake up call to make sure we got up for our early flight! What a fabulous employee, they are so lucky to have him!

His training and efficiency are credit that speaks well of the management of this Holiday Inn.

This hotel's shuttle took us back to airport but for a fee of $7.50.

The shuttle TO hotel was free. We felt the fee for shuttle BACK TO airport should also have been no charge especially for their Platinum Elite clients. I would suggest hotel management change this policy.

But you can take train to airport for $2.20, just plan time for walk to train station.The hotel shuttle dropped us at Arrival, not Departure - so plan on time for walking to Departure. Here I suggest hotel management change this to drop off at departure level. The entire ck in process took 45 min on a Saturday morning.

We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This hotel is not located near very much. It's about a 10-15 min walk to the train station. It's about a 10-15 min walk to a near by restaurant. The hotel was very clean and had a helpful staff. Huge shower with great water pressure. If you want A/C you have to constantly call the front desk to keep turning it on because it doesn't stay on for long by itself. It offers a European breakfast which basically consist of sandwiches, yogurt and cereal. My big fault with this hotel is the beds. The beds need to be replaced. They sag badly to the middle as soon as you lay on it. You can't help but to fall in to the center of the bed. If 2 people sleep in the bed then you will constantly be laying on each other the whole nite. Then to get out of the bed you have to pull yourself out of the dip in the bed.it makes for a very restless uncomfortable night of sleep.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Schiphol, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Polishedfingers,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. Please accept our sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Nick and Brandon and the crew do a great job in welcoming you to their property.

While the rooms are very European (namely small), the beds are comfortable, the showers have enough hot water, the internet connection is fast and breakfast is comprehensive for an included offering. I also like the fact that a lot of it is portable enough to take-away for the time-strapped.

They have transportation options to deal with their seemingly remote status away from downtown. The shuttles they have will get you wherever you need to. While they do not have an evening meal, most local places deliver and they will take you to local places.

Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel for an exihibition in RAI Amsterdam. Its a 15min drive to the event location by car. There are a few restaurants in walking distance, as there is only a bar in the hotel. The hotel has clean and light rooms, good for a few nights. The breakfast is above the expected standard.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Oxfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one night. The hotel is only two years old and still looks very new. We had a comfortable room, which was clean and a reasonably sized shower room, which was also very clean. A buffet breakfast was included, which offered a good selection of food. A minibus shuttle service collects you from the airport and transfers you free of charge to the hotel but the return journey costs €7.50 per person but we considered it to be the return fare, as the hotel is approximately 2 miles from the terminal building.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

First off, the needle that broke the camels back! At breakfast, there were no clean spoons, and the front desk clerk was asked to find the missing clean up person, who turned out to be Brandon. His duties are to keep the yogurt cups, silverware, bread, Filled up. There is NOTHING to cook, as the breakfast provided is very, very spartan.

She returned to me and told me there were plastic spoons, (very small, designed for ice cream or coffee maybe), but that clean ones would arrive shortly. Time 10:00. The breakfast is 'supposed' to be served until 10:30...oh yes, there were two yogurt cups left,..no pastries, 1 slice of cheese, no ham, 6 cucumber slices...this was the worst breakfast I have encountered in Europe, Africa, or the Middle East!

At 10:10, I thought maybe Brandon had forgotten my spoon, as he still had not shown his face in the dining area. I stuck my head in the kitchen and asked where the spoons were, at which time he told me..'there are plenty of plastic spoons'. At this point, as he was standing next to a bin FULL of dirty spoons, I told him ' just give me a dirty one, I can go to my room and wash it myself.'

I was quite surprised when Brandon did exactly that! Oh yes, he brought out clean spoons, plates, etc, at 10:23. And yes, I do watch time. I am a business man and it amazes me the people that are allowed to work around the public.

The beds in this hotel are all wore out also. I had my wife on this trip, and when we both got in bed, we rolled to the middle. We tried 2 other rooms, and all were the same. The normal default for the climate control is HEAT, with it 70 outside, no windows that will open, they have the heat on. BTW, the management was nice, and tried to accommodate us by switching our room, turning our room climate to 'cool ' but this was a twice a day occurrence.

When I tried to contact IHG, the company that owns Holiday Inn's, I received a reply that 'due to heavier than normal email traffic' it might take 2-3 weeks to receive a reply back! If I owned a company, I would be ashamed to have to admit that my complaint department was swamped with emails. I would fire someone. This indicates not just a local problem, but a systemic problem with this BRAND.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
GM_HI_Express_AMSAS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Schiphol, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear azhiker54,

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide every guest with an extraordinary stay and we sincerely apologize we did not deliver on your recent stay.

I will be reaching out to you directly in hopes of reaffirming your faith in our hotel and brand.

Warm regards,

Floor Hilhorst

Been to Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Schiphol? Share your experiences!