“Very good value airport hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 12 hotels in Hoofddorp
Oxfordshire
“Very good value airport hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one night. The hotel is only two years old and still looks very new. We had a comfortable room, which was clean and a reasonably sized shower room, which was also very clean. A buffet breakfast was included, which offered a good selection of food. A minibus shuttle service collects you from the airport and transfers you free of charge to the hotel but the return journey costs €7.50 per person but we considered it to be the return fare, as the hotel is approximately 2 miles from the terminal building.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

309 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Turkish first
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

First off, the needle that broke the camels back! At breakfast, there were no clean spoons, and the front desk clerk was asked to find the missing clean up person, who turned out to be Brandon. His duties are to keep the yogurt cups, silverware, bread, Filled up. There is NOTHING to cook, as the breakfast provided is very, very spartan.

She returned to me and told me there were plastic spoons, (very small, designed for ice cream or coffee maybe), but that clean ones would arrive shortly. Time 10:00. The breakfast is 'supposed' to be served until 10:30...oh yes, there were two yogurt cups left,..no pastries, 1 slice of cheese, no ham, 6 cucumber slices...this was the worst breakfast I have encountered in Europe, Africa, or the Middle East!

At 10:10, I thought maybe Brandon had forgotten my spoon, as he still had not shown his face in the dining area. I stuck my head in the kitchen and asked where the spoons were, at which time he told me..'there are plenty of plastic spoons'. At this point, as he was standing next to a bin FULL of dirty spoons, I told him ' just give me a dirty one, I can go to my room and wash it myself.'

I was quite surprised when Brandon did exactly that! Oh yes, he brought out clean spoons, plates, etc, at 10:23. And yes, I do watch time. I am a business man and it amazes me the people that are allowed to work around the public.

The beds in this hotel are all wore out also. I had my wife on this trip, and when we both got in bed, we rolled to the middle. We tried 2 other rooms, and all were the same. The normal default for the climate control is HEAT, with it 70 outside, no windows that will open, they have the heat on. BTW, the management was nice, and tried to accommodate us by switching our room, turning our room climate to 'cool ' but this was a twice a day occurrence.

When I tried to contact IHG, the company that owns Holiday Inn's, I received a reply that 'due to heavier than normal email traffic' it might take 2-3 weeks to receive a reply back! If I owned a company, I would be ashamed to have to admit that my complaint department was swamped with emails. I would fire someone. This indicates not just a local problem, but a systemic problem with this BRAND.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
GM_HI_Express_AMSAS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Schiphol, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear azhiker54,

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide every guest with an extraordinary stay and we sincerely apologize we did not deliver on your recent stay.

I will be reaching out to you directly in hopes of reaffirming your faith in our hotel and brand.

Warm regards,

Floor Hilhorst
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Although this airport is served by regular shuttle buses to the airport, be mindful of the fact that it is quite a way from the terminal. I stayed for 2 nights in August, the rate was reasonable and the rooms were clean and tidy. The breakfast is excellent. Hoofdorp station is a 10 min walk away and that line will take you straight to Amsterdam Central.

I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
New Delhi, Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Me and my wife took a short halt at Amsterdam and stayed in this hotel. Firstl, the negative. The hotel is located far from the city and after 11pm the connectivity is limited.... so if you intend to spend time in the city centre be back before 10.30pm or be prepared to hire a cab for 70-80 Euros.

The Hotel is nice, excellent ambience, friendly staff and neat clean rooms. They gave a good breakfast buffet and were efficient both on checkin and checkout as well as in response to our needs. A nice experience except the distance..

Room Tip: Choose the higher floors and airport facing rooms ... you can get a good view of the picturesque Sch...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Prescott, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We choose the Holiday Inn Express near the airport in Amsterdam due to a very early departure. Check-in was fine reservation was found. We arranged for a 4:30 AM wake-up call and a 5 AM taxi. Set my mobile for 15 minutes earlier. Went Into the shower no hot water upon receiving the hotel's call I informed the desk that we had no hot water he said that he was alone and that he could not help.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Schiphol, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear travelsbyrail,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had with the lack of hot water. Kindly be assured that this will be taken seriously as we always strive to meet every guests' needs. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We have stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses in several countries and expected this would be the same. NOT so........we found the two young ladies at reception when we checked in to be helpful and nice however after having just flown 8 hrs and been in transit for 12 we had hoped to have a good night sleep! We found the bed very uncomfortable, the drain in the shower was clogged and the soap dispenser in shower was empty. We didn't report this to reception because it was 10pm and we were heading to bed very exhausted! Breakfast was your usual buffet, nothing exciting but adequate. The gentleman at reception gave us directions to the train station. Just as a side note: It would have been nice to have been told the machines at the station only accepted coins or that we could have ordered our tickets on line at the hotel before heading to the station. They shouldn't assume that every guest is familiar with the train system in the Netherlands. Thankfully another traveler at the train station helped us out! Compared to other Holiday Inn Expresses.......the overall experience was not as nice! I would definitely check into other options on our next trip!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear livinlifeinKenya,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was not what you expected. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had with the bed and some bathroom fixtures. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Guest comfort is of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a comfortable environment. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Dundalk/Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

If you think this is just another business hotel in the middle of an industrial estate, your right. However that would be a little misleading also. Yes this hotel is in the middle of a business park but it is well worth considering if you are visiting Amsterdam. The hotel is new and the rooms are excellent with superb bathrooms. The free breakfast is great with plenty of choice to allow you stock up for a days sightseeing in Amsterdam. The train station is 10/15 minutes walk from the hotel and the journey takes about 25 min to the centre of the city. Another plus is that the hotel provide a free shuttle bus from the airport and if you need to use it to get back to the airport the charge is €7 per person. Try getting a taxi for €7. Whilst it would be more preferable to stay in the city centre you will pay much more than at this hotel and you may not get the value for money you will receive at the HIE.

Room Tip: Request a corner room when booking
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Schiphol? Share your experiences!