“Always a pleasure to dine here!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Balzan
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Italian, Mediterranean, Pizza & Pasta
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Melita Gardens sits proudly next door to the President's residence at San Anton Palace. It is made up of a tea & coffee garden, pizzeria and bistro, a la carte restaurant as well as the Mezzanin Wine Lounge, all within it's vast gardens.
Birkirkara, Malta
“Always a pleasure to dine here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have been visiting Melita gardens for quite some time now. I have gone there with my family, on dates and with groups of friends and I can say that I have never been disappointed.

The service is always excellent, the food is always delicious and in terms of price it is also quite cheap! The menu offers all sort of plates for everyone who is anyone! I recommend it to anyone and for all sorts of occasions, because I have been there for birthdays, reunions, romantic dates and even simply to dine out. It is a top-notch restaurant.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
“Extremely disappointed!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Although the place proved to have quite a name for itself, we were extremely disappointed. We actually visited on Christmas Eve 2012. Whilst a table was being prepared for us, we were asked to wait by the bar which was fine but then the head waiter ( or so he seemed ) pooped out of nowhere and started accusing the barmen of not doing his job properly. I understand feedback being given but when yelling and glass throwing gets involeved, infront of your customers, that is were I draw a line.

After this we were asked to be seated and menus were given out. A young lad came to take our order and after ordering platters, pizza and drinks ( wine and coffee ), we were told that the kitchen was closed since everything had finished but at the same time we were offered to wait an hour and 'benefit' from the breakfast offer!?!?! After looking at each other for nearly 10 mins in disbelief, we decided to walk out and seek another venue.... after midnight... on Christmas eve!! Thanks Melita for ruining my 2012 Christmas celebrations! P.S: Please get rid of your head waiter/manager and train your staff!

Malta
“Disgusted with the service! Avoid!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

After calling and booking a sofa in the lounge area days in advance we arrived and were seated at the sofa only to be told 5 minutes later that we could not sit at this sofa as someone else was booked in. I told the waiter that I had phoned and booked which his response was ‘no you didn't’

We were seated in a cold and damp corner – 8 people crammed into a small 2-3 person table, a group of 10 had just left the middle area in front of the fireplace and when we asked if we could sit instead of them we were told in a rude manner ‘no we have people coming’
The waitress had no idea of the menu and wine and platters took a very long time to arrive
We wanted to order a different bottle of wine so we asked the waiter a couple of questions, then we asked the price he left came back and rudely gave the menu to us and said ‘Ha’ (which in Maltese is a rude way of saying look yourself) and walked away
This was the last straw, I called the manager and explained everything that happened and said we want the bill because we are disgusted with the service – to which he responded ‘OK’ and just shrugged his shoulders like it was no big deal and walked away.
If you are looking for a decent wine bar avoid this establishment at all costs!

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Balzan, Malta
“I chose not bad.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Food are okay sometime it was good then bad. Waiter are not always welcome. Place are lovely view! If you are interesting to go and eat just be a bit patience.

Visited January 2013
San Gwann, Malta
“Pity this place is going down the ratings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have dined on a number of occasions at Melita Gardens, but my latest visit left much to be desired. It's a pity as I have always found the place to be a good place to eat out with family and friends, and the only thing that was against the place is the time it takes for the food to be delivered after you order.

But this time round it seems that although the service delay has improved a tad, the rest of the service has decreased. One of my party then found a sizable stone in her pizza, to which the head waiter excused himself on behalf of the restaurant and gave a plausable explaination as to how it got there. He also assured us that we will not be charged for this pizza. Two pasta dishes were undercooked, leaving the pasta to be more than al dente! A lasagna serving was lukewarm, therefore uneatable, and the way one of the senior waiters dealt with his colleagues over a simple mistake when a particular pizza was presented to our table by mistake left much to be desired. The poor young lad serving us must have wanted the ground to swallow him up!
It's really a pity for this place to get down to this level. Something has really changed at Melita as Its the first time that I had this negative experience there. But it's enough to keep me away, in the knowledge that there are over 1200 other restaurants in Malta!

• Visited January 2013