“My worst villa rental ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of La Rosa Residence

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monteriggioni
La Rosa Residence
Via Torri Cimate, Monteriggioni, Italy   |
Ranked #17 of 18 Monteriggioni B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“My worst villa rental ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

You should avoid this place at all costs! My family of three and our friends, a family of 6, booked this place for two weeks via the Internet site Agriturisimo, a site we have had great experiences with in the past. We looked for a place specifically with air conditioning, Internet, a pool and English spoken. Upon arrival we found out only the pool existed. Not only that, the family who ran the place harassed us and eventually called the police on us (then denied doing so) trying to intimidate us into leaving. We complained vigorously to have the owners install some kind of A/C unit and on the third day (in 38-40 C heat) they left a useless unit outside our friend’s apartment for them to install themselves! They then lied to the booking agents (who we called as well to complain) that it was 21 C in the apartment when it was around 28 C! We took pictures of the temperature on our baby monitor (which is new and very accurate) and sent it the booking agent but they claimed, "Well, pictures can be manipulated"!!!
The apartments were dingy, kitchens inadequate, outside we had to kill four wasps nests, there was no welcome, the BBQ was a rusty metal box on legs, no help in finding laundry or internet cafes or restaurants or tourist attractions and the breakfast was doughnuts and coffee. Once the police arrived and we explained the situation to them, they filed a police report for us so that we can begin proceedings to get our money refunded. Even the police were surprised at the conditions and how we were being treated. The family that lived on the site (mom, dad, owner, his wife, his sister) harassed us daily in one way or another. The only English/French speaker was the owner, who was never there. We showed him two websites that advertise that his place has A/C and he began to blame the booking agents (4tourist) Once we got the booking agents on the phone, they put the responsibility on the owners and nothing ever got done about the situation. Once we returned home, I checked the websites and 4tourist now lists La Rosa without A/C (even though two of the three apartments do have A/C). La Rosa’s own websites says all apartments are air conditioned on their homepage. All in all, I am appalled that the owners treated paying customers traveling with children on vacation so horribly. Both families are perusing legal action against them. They should be ashamed of themselves! Do not give them your business!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

A very disappointing experience.
After months of looking forward to a 2-week Tuscan vacation, my family and friends left La Rosa a week early (having paid one week deposit months ago, we didn't want to lose everything). My family booked stayed in Bilo (accommodating 3-5 people) and our friends stayed in the Villa (accommodating 6 people). We booked La Rosa based on Tuscan location (15 km from Siena), AC, pool, BBQ, English and French spoken (we're American and our friends are French), and internet (I was taking an online class).
We booked on agriturismo (via 4tourist) before and this was our 1st negative experience.

Poor communication from the start: I should have known weeks ago when I couldn't reach our contact Paolo via phone or email. I had to contact 4tourist.net, the booking agency, to get my questions answered (such as "Is there a high chair?" [no] and "Is there internet?" [yes]... both of which turned out to be false.)

No welcome: Our contact Paolo was still on vacation when we arrived, so there was no one there to greet us who spoke English or French. Found his Mama who gave us the keys.

No AC: As mentioned, our requirements for our 2 families (with 5 children aged 3 months - 8 years old) were pool and AC. The pool was a nice reprieve to the 35 degree C weather (95 F), but getting out was precarious, since the ladder was about to break off from the pool deck. My family in the Bilo was fine with the AC, but our friends (with a 3 month old) did NOT have AC as advertised. [AC has since been removed as a search filter for La Rosa]. Our friends asked for a portable AC unit as a compromise and received a fan. La Rosa also gave misinformation to the booking agency (such as saying it was 21 degrees C inside when it was more than 27 C (80 F)!) Oh, and the BBQ was a rusted scrap metal box on legs which LOST survivors could've outdone.
Paolo's Mama called the police when our friend was reluctant to give his passport (again) ... and then denied calling them. Turns out the carabinieri were on their side and documented the 27 degree C apartment.

Poor Information
We needed to locate a laundromat and and internet cafe. No one at La Rosa was able to tell us where to go! It took 2 days of driving around Siena to find either. (Charlie Bar on via Cavour for internet, and for laundry there is a place just across from the Coop commercial center just outside Siena in San Miniato.)

Wasps and hornets
After my husband and my friend's 8 year old got stung, I tried my best sign language to communicate this to the Mama. I was given a can of Raid. I found 2 nests above our front door and one under the table outside! I sprayed and ran and that seemed to do the trick... until the next night, I found 2 more nests in the works.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Bratislava
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

"La Rosa" is a lovely agrotourism surrounded by Tuscany`s nature. Guess suites are spacious and comfortable, furnished with kitchen, Tv, air conditioning. In the morning likeable staff serves breakfast with local cold meat and cakes. I reccomend "La Rosa" to families with children and to young couples.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Florence, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

We stayed at La Rosa residence this past July for two nights while we were visiting the area and enjoying the medieval festival held in Monteriggioni.

La Rosa's location was perfect among the vineyards to the north of the castle. But anyone who has been to Monteriggioni before knows the castle is very close to the Florence-Siena motorway... and the residence is actually between the castle and the road - not good! On the one hand, you are in the middle of the countryside surrounded by vineyards and trees and, on the other, you have the sound of motor traffic day and night (although a bit less) which is not a great characteristic.

The residence is small. It has a room, a suite, an apartment and a small villa. We stayed in the apartment since it was the only one available for the period we wanted and the rate was alright at 85 euros per night. It was away from the main building and had a bedroom with an extra day bed, a bathroom and kitchen area. Two daybeds that served as sitting space around the kitchen table could have hosted 2 more guests for a total of 5. The residence had a swimming pool which we didn't use, and breakfast was served in the common dining area within the main house. Breakfast was very basic, coffee and juice and a few cold cuts and cheese slices for those that favor savory breakfasts while there were cut up pieces of store bought cake and pastries for those that favor a sweeter start to the day. Overall the ambiance and look of the residence was great.

We were out most of the day so did not spend too much time at the residence. Aside from the sound of traffic which is a drawback, the residence's location is very convenient so we'd head back to the residence if location (central area in Tuscany near Siena) was all that mattered.

You can read more at http://www.larosaresidence.com/

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to La Rosa Residence? Share your experiences!