“Excellent Steak, Good Service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 38 Restaurants in Monteriggioni
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night Food, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night Food, Late Night, Reservations
“Excellent Steak, Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We are from the US, but I have to admit, the t-bone steak at il Pozzo was one of the best t-bones I ever ate. We also thought the service was very good. The own helped out when the wait staff became busy with other tables. As typical for many restaurants in Italy there was no air conditioning We were in a small room with no windows and it got really warn. So make sure you eat in the main room or garden area.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Moraga, California
“Consistent good food in pleasant garden”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had lunch in the back garden of Il Pozzo recently and enjoyed it very much. The inside dining room is also very attractive. While Monterigioni is a huge tourist attraction with lots of little shops selling souvenirs, the restaurant serves quite good food. The waiters were very attentive and welcoming. However, my first course was disappointing. It was a mushroom salad which consisted of a heap of raw mushrooms on a bit of arugula and covered with shaved parmesan cheese. The other two dishes were more sucessful--the local pasta, "pici" and another pasta with a wild boar sauce were quite good.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Australia
“A return visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I had lunched here fifteen years ago so returning with my family was an interesting experience. It remains a wonderful place to visit with friendly staff and a consistent approach to the food they serve.
The patrons were mainly international visitors but this was mid July so the locals had probably all decamped to the coast
We were all pleased with our food and the waiters recommendation of the enormous local mushrooms was a highlight.We tried some local grappas and had great fun sampling then choosing from a huge range,
Its not food that's cooked or prepared in a fussy way but down to earth Tuscan fare

Visited July 2012
Boston, MA
“Lovely Garden Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

It was difficult to select a restaurant in this small town, but I'm very happy we stumbled upon Il Pozzo. There were many items on the menu that intrigued me, but that I wasn't daring enough to order (stuffed pigeon, anyone?). I ended up with a polenta with porcinis and cheese, which I enjoyed, and fried zucchini flowers, which were surprisingly light and delicious. I meant to have just one bite of my son's sausage and Tuscan beans, but the sausage was so exquisite I kept going back for more.

The garden is lovely and a great place to stop for a meal.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Traditional Tuscan cuisine in a lovely setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

With friends from England, we reserved a table at Il Pozzo one evening in early July. (Reservations at that time of year, by the way, seem to be a necessity. I saw many people being turned away.)

We had a delicious several course meal, starting with mixed crostini and deep fried zucchini blossoms. The zucchini blossoms were exquisite--- crisp and perfectly prepared. For my first course, I had pici with sautéed bread crumbs and lardons (comfort food from the Tuscan peasant tradition) followed by beef tagliata: grilled steak cut into strips and served atop a bed of arugula.The dishes offered are all traditional regional cuisine, robust and simple and appealing. (Enjoy the food... you can resume your healthy eating habits when you get home!) We’d had too much to eat to try the restaurant’s desserts, unfortunately, but the local wines we had were unlike any wines I’d drunk before, so fragrant and fresh.

We ate on the terrace because it was a hot summer evening. The terrace’s pergola was covered in blossoms and greenery--- very pretty and cozy.

I found the service to be very good, in spite of the fact that the restaurant was completely full. I was dismayed to overhear some gratuitously rude remarks to their server from a group at the table next to ours. Apparently, they were unhappy with their service in spite of the fact that the staff were clearly doing their very best. When you travel at the BUSIEST time of year, to some of the world’s most popular places AND you are a visitor in a culture very different from yours, it behooves you to be patient and pleasant.

We made a point of telling our server how happy we were with both our food and the service. He rewarded us with after dinner, filled-to-the-brim, glasses of limoncello. It’s a good thing Monteriggioni is so beautiful and walkable.... we walked off our limoncello-induced euphoria on the narrow streets of that culturally important medieval fortified town, stopping at several points to gaze out in the night to the lights in the valley below.

I would LOVE to go back to Monteriggioni and Il Pozzo. If you go, go with an understanding of where you are, and what the challenges of a busy season are for people whose business attracts tourists from all over the world. You’ll be happy you did.

• Visited July 2012