“Best Restaurant in Lindos” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 72 Restaurants in Lindos
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Best Restaurant in Lindos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We holiday in Lindos just about every year and Ambrosia is always our first port of call and we try to squeeze in a few visits. It's not your typical tourist restaurant. The restaurant itself is calming and contemporary but you know you are in Greece as the hospitality is as exceptional as the food. The food is high class greek often with a twist on some greek classics. We always allow George to choose the wine for us and always surprised at how good the wine in. They are also great at catering for our Gluten Free requirements, knocking up a delicious bowl of GF pasta for our 3yr old son. We can't wait to return and see George, Litsa and the team. My husband will be dreaming of the shrimp saganaki until then!

• Greek first
Manchester, England
“Still a little off its best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We've been regular visitors to Ambrosia for several years and it was always one of our favourites. It's a beautiful place, very small and intimate with no rooftop seating area, and is the former home of George, the owner. This is a quiet, sophisticated place to eat, and the service from George, Dimitris and Maria is second to none. It's the kind of place you can imagine taking somebody and proposing to them.

Over the last few years though it seems to have stumbled a little in one area: the food. The menu is small, and George is extremely accommodating - as everything is made fresh to order you can change things, asking for a different sauce, an ingredient to be changed, whatever. As you eat in the restaurant you'll hear people exclaiming how wonderful their food is, but for us it isn't quite as good as it was. Maybe it depends on what you have. The steaks always seem to provoke sighs and expressions of delight, as does the fish, but we're neither fans of beef nor seafood so we go for other dishes, and as nice as they are they just don't seem to have the "wow" factor they used to have.

On our latest visit I had the pasta and it was very nice, if ultimately little more than a bowl of pasta. My partner had the chicken, and although she said it was nice some of it was pink and undercooked, as it was on our previous visit in 2013, which isn't a good thing with chicken.

It's an expensive place to eat, although service is included and that service is second to none, but I just wish the food would get back to its best again. It's one of the nicest places I've ever eaten, and the service is outstanding, but the food seems to be letting it down these days. Such a shame.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Excellence time and again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I've visited Lindos on a number of occassions and discovered this restaurant on my first vist some 8 years ago with my last visit being only 3 weeks ago. I'm pleased to report that the quality of this place has not suffered one bit in that time!

It's only a small place but it's a really welcoming place, George the owner and his staff make sure of this.

The menu isn't huge but I'll guarantee that every meal on it (I've had most) is totally fantastic and is cooked to absolute perfection, I urge anyone to try the giant atlantic prawns, my mouth is watering now!

The service is first class and very friendly, George never loses sight of the fact that you're on holiday so you're there to enjoy yourself.

Yes it might well be a little bit more expensive than other local restaurants but it's totally worth it, to be honest I'd have to say this is one of my favourite restaurants anywhere in the world!

I hope to see you again one day George but as I said on my last visit, there are so many other places I want to see, please don't take it personally if it's another 10 years before we meet again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Best Restaurant in Lindos...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Dont be fooled by the fact that Ambrosia doesnt have a roof garden, the air conditioned dining rooms are just perfect to get out of the heat of Lindos and enjoy the best food you will taste on the Island.
George and his family/staff, make you feel like you are the only diners in the restaurant, explain the food & options...basically they will make you whatever you want (within reason!)
The steaks are the best we have eaten and all presented and prepared to michelin star standards and quality.
Dont miss out on the experience and enjoy a finer dining experience whilst in Lindos, you wont be disappointed

Drobak, Norway
“Attention to detail”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant has many regulars, mostly of tourists. Conversations overheard during the dinner, shows that many comes by several times during a 1-week holiday.

The owner, George, makes this a homely and easy going place. Greeting every customer personally and explaining the menu in detail, he lifts the atmosphere.

The food is gourmet-rate and is a nice break from the tavernas and beach-grub. I recommend this, but the whole package is a spot away from five stars.